Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Injen 2.7 warm air intake...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Injen 2.7 warm air intake...

I was trying to decide whether to put this in the "Performance and Tuning" or the "4 Cylinder" section and figured it was more topical here. This is an Injen intake that fits the 2nd Gen 2TR FE 2.7 4 cylinder engines, that I just installed today on my 2012 Base Model Standard Cab Manual Transmission 5 lug 2 wheel drive Taco.

At 3 feet,it's a long ass intake!

it installed pretty easily even though the mounting bracket needed to be bent to fit the vibration isolation bolt screwed in where the stock air box used to be.

The air filter is located right next to the hole in the fender well, so I'll be removing the stock plastic resonator to allow more air to blow in when the truck is moving.

The Injen unclutters the engine bay so that the engine is easier to see.

So far I've only taken it up and down the road to see if there would be any Check Engine light. No light. It's actually very quiet, with just a little ssssss sound in normal driving. I have a stock muffler so it's hardly making any sound either I think the intake is quiet because the filter isn't inside of a box that makes the sound resonate. The tube is also a lot longer than any other intake which may also be quieting it down. I'll do a review after I've driven it long enough to have more to say.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Why do this? Honestly I'm just curious, not criticizing. What are the claimed benefits to this setup besides the neat appearance under the hood? How much does it cost? Does it void the emissions compliance since there's no charcoal filter? Looking forward to your updates after some miles.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Warm Air Intake

The benefit of a WAI is to improve Fuel Economy, especially in cool/cold weather. I disconnected the cold air intake last fall and installed aftermarket components (an elbow and corrugated tubing with a steal coupling to scavenge warm air off the exhaust manifold. It basically increased the air temperature about 20-30 degrees F on days where it was 32 degrees F or below. I kept the stock intake and air filter box, using the 90 degree elbow to route the warm air intake into the stock box opening.

I did improve the FE a bit during the fall/winter and so far, I'm getting better springtime FE. It'll be interesting to see what the year-to-year difference will be, but I'll need a few more months of data to figure that out more conclusively.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I was trying to decide whether to put this in the "Performance and Tuning" or the "4 Cylinder" section and figured it was more topical here. This is an Injen intake that fits the 2nd Gen 2TR FE 2.7 4 cylinder engines, that I just installed today on my 2012 Base Model Standard Cab Manual Transmission 5 lug 2 wheel drive Taco.
Looks nice and clean Greg!!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Warm air ftw !
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Why do this?
Because I can.

(just kidding )

Quote:
Honestly I'm just curious, not criticizing.
I totally understand your question and am not the least bit offended.
I want to enhance the slow turning 2.7's low end torque in order to get better gas mileage. My current average so far is 24.4 mpg with the stock intake so I'll be finding out if the Injen intake can raise that average.

Quote:
What are the claimed benefits to this setup besides the neat appearance under the hood?
Personally, I'd do it just for the neato looks.

But Injen claims that this very long intake is tuned to the 2.7 engine in a similar manner as exhaust headers are also tuned by length and runner diameter.

Quote:
How much does it cost?
It's only $220 including free shipping from:

MicroImage
818-610-3635

Quote:
Does it void the emissions compliance since there's no charcoal filter?
I'm sure it does, and that's why I keep the stock intake for testing.

Quote:
Looking forward to your updates after some miles.

Thanks, I'll do a more extensive review on the intake with gas mileage results when I get enough miles on it.

I've always been interested in flow design, and really liked the simple direct design of this particular intake over all of the others.

The filter is dry reusable nano particle (no oil to mess with, and easy to clean), and it has a complete velocity stack formed into its base for a nice smooth non restrictive entry. And the very long intake tube is oversized and swedged down to stock diameter only where the MAF sensor is so as not to disturb the A/F mixture. When I installed it, no codes, no CEL.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Well it looks a helluva lot cooler than a K&N one.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I agree. I don't care for the looks of K&N's designs either even though I'm sure they work just fine. Also don't care for having to deal with oily filters. Injen's totally different design intrigued me because it's easily 50% longer than all of the other Taco intakes. And ironically, at only $220 it's dirt cheap compared to the rest.

Can't wait to put some miles on it to see how it works. It's used as an everyday non off road work truck loaded with tools and supplies, so I just drive it normally, and am primarily interested in low end torque and gas mileage. I'm also going to do a baseline dyno with the both Injen intake and the LCE header on the engine for a comparison to some future mods I'm planning.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Yeah, I agree. I don't care for the looks of K&N's designs either even though I'm sure they work just fine. Also don't care for having to deal with oily filters. Injen's totally different design intrigued me because it's easily 50% longer than all of the other Taco intakes. And ironically, at only $220 it's dirt cheap compared to the rest.

Can't wait to put some miles on it to see how it works. It's used as an everyday non off road work truck loaded with tools and supplies, so I just drive it normally, and am primarily interested in low end torque and gas mileage. I'm also going to do a baseline dyno with the both Injen intake and the LCE header on the engine for a comparison to some future mods I'm planning.

I'm guessing that you are right: K&N make pretty decent WAIs (in fact, probably true of all CAIs installed under the hood scavenging engine compartment air rather than syphoning cooler air from outside). Longer design might let the intake air warm up a tiny bit more given placement over the block and scavenging air from close to the exhaust header. Dyno data would be great accompanying data next to the FE numbers you'll be working up.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Took the wheel well apart to remove the last piece of the stock intake. It's actually quite an impressive collection of chambers and baffles...

All that stuff can't be just to keep the intake quiet, because you can't even tell that the Injen is on the engine except for a very mild low pitched "waaah" sound when you mash the pedal.

The fender hole next to the filter is now completely open into the wheel well...

But heck, who knows.... probably more air flows out of it than in!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
I'm guessing that you are right: K&N make pretty decent WAIs (in fact, probably true of all CAIs installed under the hood scavenging engine compartment air rather than syphoning cooler air from outside). Longer design might let the intake air warm up a tiny bit more given placement over the block and scavenging air from close to the exhaust header. Dyno data would be great accompanying data next to the FE numbers you'll be working up.
Yes. This is definitely a warm air intake...

...and I really don't think it matters that much for normal everyday driving because when the vehicle is moving, plenty of ambient air is flowing through the engine compartment. It'll be interesting to quantify any gas mileage change between this warm air intake and the stock cold air intake.

I sure like the simple neat clean looks of the Injen over that oddly shaped pile of fugly black plastic boxes.