Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2013 Access Cab 4cyl auto more power?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
vickster83 is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
vickster83's Tacoma Gallery
Removed the power steering and AC. Took off all of the extra pulleys and idlers and run a short simple belt that just turns the alternator and water pump.

Where do you live that you can sacrifice your A/C? And what's it like without any power steering?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Oops. Lets try that again.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

Removed the power steering and AC. Took off all of the extra pulleys and idlers and run a short simple belt that just turns the alternator and water pump.

Where do you live that you can sacrifice your A/C? And what's it like without any power steering?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster83 View Post
I saw your first post and was going to reply:

"Hey, I did exactly what you did."

It's no sacrifice.
I drove my 1st gen Tacoma for 17 years with no AC, and have learned to become acclimated to the seasons.

No power steering is just fine because I'm running light low rolling resistance passenger car tires...

...and not big heavy "wagon wheel" truck tires. Standard cabs are also the lightest version of Tacomas. Moving it steers easy, while parking there is more turning resistance. Besides the simplicity and freeing up a little extra power, I also like manual steering because I have a better feel of the road. With power steering there is zero feedback.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I saw your first post and was going to reply:

"Hey, I did exactly what you did."

It's no sacrifice.
I drove my 1st gen Tacoma for 17 years with no AC, and have learned to become acclimated to the seasons.

No power steering is just fine because I'm running light low rolling resistance passenger car tires...

...and not big heavy "wagon wheel" truck tires. Standard cabs are also the lightest version of Tacomas. Moving it steers easy, while parking there is more turning resistance. Besides the simplicity and freeing up a little extra power, I also like manual steering because I have a better feel of the road. With power steering there is zero feedback.
As far as zero tactile feedback with the power steering I must disagree. Once the tires on my Taco got 10K on them or so, the feedback became real good.I can tell exactly what the tires are doing. At 64K now and still have lots of evenly worn tread left. I owned a car without power steering in the 70's, and loved it, but it weighed 2300 lb.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #26
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So far I've installed a LCE header while keeping the quiet stock exhaust. If you open up the exhaust you lose low end torque.

Seems LCE is the favored header for the 2.7 power plant? Your findings?

Installed an Injen warm air intake.

Warm vs. Cold?

Whooooa! I'd NEVER do that! Evasive driving maneuvers while holding a beer in my free hand would be almost impossible.

I'm totally pleased with the results. A simple efficient responsive daily driver work truck.
I'm thinking ol' Toot is a hidden resource in the 2nd Gen fo-cylindaz application... I mean hey, header on a Yaris? How flippin' kewl is that! Kinda like adding a hi-flow airbox, Mandrell bent full exhaust and bumped up jetting in the carburetor of your kids Pit-bike... which I did. Likewise, I grasp the need for each modification to improve flow, both intake and exhaust, complimenting the other.

Still, a little confused on how removing restrictions from the remaining OEM exhaust system would cause a drop in power?

Preach on it Greg!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
As far as zero tactile feedback with the power steering I must disagree. Once the tires on my Taco got 10K on them or so, the feedback became real good.I can tell exactly what the tires are doing. At 64K now and still have lots of evenly worn tread left. I owned a car without power steering in the 70's, and loved it, but it weighed 2300 lb.
Yeah, I'm old school...

...and like the mechanical feel of manual steering.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #28
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBow View Post
I'm thinking ol' Toot is a hidden resource in the 2nd Gen fo-cylindaz application... I mean hey, header on a Yaris? How flippin' kewl is that! Kinda like adding a hi-flow airbox, Mandrell bent full exhaust and bumped up jetting in the carburetor of your kids Pit-bike... which I did. Likewise, I grasp the need for each modification to improve flow, both intake and exhaust, complimenting the other.

Still, a little confused on how removing restrictions from the remaining OEM exhaust system would cause a drop in power?

Preach on it Greg!
You're right, the little Yaris is the "pit bike" of cars.

Not a loss of top end power, just the low end torque. The engine actually needs some exhaust back pressure for optimum operation at very low rpms.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
no a/c here in hawaii is not even an option, thats insane. No power steering? damn that would suck i have to say. Flushing my girls power steering in here honda made the wheels a bitchto move back and forth while parked. I wouldnt want that on a daily for sure. but to each his own.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
no a/c here in hawaii is not even an option, thats insane.
You need only to ask yourself this question: How did the Hawaiians live without it?

The answer is that they widened their comfort zone by becoming acclamated to the natural seasonal weather changes. Becoming dependent on air conditioning narrows people's comfort zone to the point where just a few degrees outside of that narrow range and they're totally miserable.

I live in LA where it gets plenty hot, but I just learned to get used to it. Same with our home. No AC there either. Simply turn on a fan, drink some lemonade, and you're fine.

Quote:
No power steering? damn that would suck i have to say. Flushing my girls power steering in here honda made the wheels a bitchto move back and forth while parked. I wouldnt want that on a daily for sure. but to each his own.
The old manual steering trick is to have your wheels moving while you turn, even if it's only a few inches, then it's way easier.

It's just a personal preference and everyone is totally free to choose. I came from a time when power steering was an extra option and manual steering was normal.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
You need only to ask yourself this question: How did the Hawaiians live without it?

The answer is that they widened their comfort zone by becoming acclamated to the natural seasonal weather changes. Becoming dependent on air conditioning narrows people's comfort zone to the point where just a few degrees outside of that narrow range and they're totally miserable.

I live in LA where it gets plenty hot, but I just learned to get used to it. Same with our home. No AC there either. Simply turn on a fan, drink some lemonade, and you're fine.

The old manual steering trick is to have your wheels moving while you turn, even if it's only a few inches, then it's way easier.

It's just a personal preference and everyone is totally free to choose. I came from a time when power steering was an extra option and manual steering was normal.
lol i wont even lie my comfort zone is fully adjusted to ac. Especially in the traffic we have in this tropical climate which is now the worst in the nation. But i like staying up with technology and just being comfortable. I dont really understand the benefits of removing advancements in a new vehicle. I wouldnt even buy a new truck if i was going to do that.

oh and tropical sweaty nasty heat is much less comfortable then your dry cali or texas type heat.

Also the hawaiians were conquered because they never advanced with technology as quick as the rest of the world. lol sad but true fact. No ac for them either lol
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol i wont even lie my comfort zone is fully adjusted to ac. Especially in the traffic we have in this tropical climate which is now the worst in the nation. But i like staying up with technology and just being comfortable. I dont really understand the benefits of removing advancements in a new vehicle. I wouldnt even buy a new truck if i was going to do that.

oh and tropical sweaty nasty heat is much less comfortable then your dry cali or texas type heat.

Also the hawaiians were conquered because they never advanced with technology as quick as the rest of the world. lol sad but true fact. No ac for them either lol
paging Kona... clean up page 2
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
paging Kona... clean up page 2
lol no hate but thats what happened. Just like with many other races of people over time. But ac wouldnt have helped them tho!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Idk, Ive never lived in a place with ac.... haha

But the Hawaiians got conquered because it would be us vs the US, not much we could have done

I'm not even ethnically Hawaiian, so by us I mean Hawaiians. Haha
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Idk, Ive never lived in a place with ac.... haha

But the Hawaiians got conquered because it would be us vs the US, not much we could have done

I'm not even ethnically Hawaiian, so by us I mean Hawaiians. Haha
Yah because you guys have all the nice roads and uncrowded action. You cant have it all lol i at least deserve my shitty apartment crammed next a million people with my a/c lol Nah im from punaluu so this is my first ac experience.

Oh and yah that and they didnt have guns back in the day, or the bj penn gym lol!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I spent 14 months in Vietnam and became acclimated to the hot humid climate there just fine. Humans can be highly adaptive, but they lose that ability when there are other compensations available. That's just human nature.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #37
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I just installed the drop in afe pro dry s on my 4x4 regular cab and I was happy with the $32 purchase . Apparently thats all you can do for more power besides the urd supercharger .

Header and exhaust seem to jus make noises
The Doug Thorley header made a huge difference on my truck. Nothing else did. The volant intake came off and I actually got horsepower back.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #38
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
The Doug Thorley header made a huge difference on my truck. Nothing else did. The volant intake came off and I actually got horsepower back.
Damnit I been looking at thw lce header and I'm so back and forth whether to drop the money or not! I've heard a million different things!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
Large Member

Quote:
I spent 14 months in Vietnam and became acclimated to the hot humid climate there just fine. Humans can be highly adaptive, but they lose that ability when there are other compensations available. That's just human nature.
Lol ill have to agree there
Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damnit I been looking at thw lce header and I'm so back and forth whether to drop the money or not! I've heard a million different things!
I wanted the LCE header but they stopped making them. When I tried to buy it, they refunded my money, then about a year later they started making them again. Given that's equal length it is slightly more efficient. It is worth the money for the LCE, but it's not worth the money if you've already bought a DT header.