Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2013 Access Cab 4cyl auto more power?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
skitheeast is on a distinguished road
skitheeast's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2013 Access Cab 4cyl auto more power?

I got the automatic cause I am sick of having to use 4 body parts to drive. This is the first 4cyl truck I have owned. Previously I had an 87 chevy v8 but it was a rust bucket so I decided to go with toyotas because they are a reliable truck!

What upgrades can I do to give the truck more power when accelerating or going up hill?
Even a little bit more power and acceleration would be nice.
Are there any upgrades that would possibly give it much more power?
Are there computers and chips you can install?
Load me with info, I am new!! THANKS!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you pull the air baffle in the fender, pull the 2ndary filter, add an afe pro dry s, use synthetics, and add a DT/LCE header.... you gain mpg, but you wont gain much in meaningful acceleration. I did these, glad I did, its fun, but wont recommend it to anyone "looking for more" acceleration.

As a generalization
4 cylinder if you want decent mpg, reasonable acceleration and less maintenance.
6 cyl if you want to get more acceleration, tow.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Drop in afe pro dry s should give it a little more pep .
Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Drop in afe pro dry s should give it a little more pep .
I think it did. Guaging what other people expect for gains though, I wouldn't want to call it a tire shredder though hehe.

Here is what those mods did for me though other than the mpg, I can simply let the clutch out and it rolls and doesn't die, stock, the same action would usually stall the motor.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the drop in afe pro dry s on my 4x4 regular cab and I was happy with the $32 purchase . Apparently thats all you can do for more power besides the urd supercharger .

Header and exhaust seem to jus make noises
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger.

Anything else is going to make more noise, but any actual power gains would be practically unmeasurable. Might see a small difference on the dyno, but you'd see more of a difference with a temperature change.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Some dealers have a policy that you can exchange a vehicle within a certain amount of time. If so and you're still within that time you might want to get a 4.0.

If you do the things Tacoyota mentions, you'll get a little more low end. That may be what you're looking for.

I can confirm synthetics help. Whenever a fluid change came around I went with synthetic.

I'm not sure what configuration your truck is 4x4, Prerunner, or 5 lug. I know going with a smaller tire would help since you'd be essentially dropping the gear ratio. If you've put larger tires on it, you've raised it so it will take longer to get up to speed.

I don't know what your tire needs are either such as if you're looking for good off road performance or something else. When you're looking for them it would be best to pick a group of tires that meet your needs in which you'd think you'd be happy owning any of them, and then pick the lightest in weight from those with the least amount of rolling resistance.

If you want a lot more power the option is a URD supercharger.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
"drop in afe pro dry s"

Can someone put this in plain english for me?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosedog View Post
"drop in afe pro dry s"

Can someone put this in plain english for me?
aftermarket air filter

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...rtno=30-10123&
Old 06-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=Saskquatch11;7002498]aftermarket air filter

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=30-10123&[/QUOTE]

Are they better than K&N's? I always believed aftermarket filters were a good idea, just wondering what these have over the competition.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitheeast View Post
I got the automatic cause I am sick of having to use 4 body parts to drive. This is the first 4cyl truck I have owned. Previously I had an 87 chevy v8 but it was a rust bucket so I decided to go with toyotas because they are a reliable truck!

What upgrades can I do to give the truck more power when accelerating or going up hill?
Install a stick shift.

(sorry, couldn't resist )

Quote:
Even a little bit more power and acceleration would be nice.
Are there any upgrades that would possibly give it much more power?
Are there computers and chips you can install?
Load me with info, I am new!! THANKS!
Since the 2.7 is a slow turning reasonably fuel efficient low end torque engine, I've been doing simple easy non invasive mods to enhance it's inherent qualities rather than engage in the futility of trying to turn it into the high revving screamer it will never be.

So far I've installed a LCE header while keeping the quiet stock exhaust. If you open up the exhaust you lose low end torque.

Installed an Injen warm air intake.

Removed the power steering and AC. Took off all of the extra pulleys and idlers and run a short simple belt that just turns the alternator and water pump.

Also installed lightweight 16X7 Enkei Compe alloy wheels with smooth quiet low rolling resistance fuel efficient Yokohama YK580 60,000 mile passenger car tires.

I'm totally pleased with the results. A simple efficient responsive daily driver work truck.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are they better than K&N's? I always believed aftermarket filters were a good idea, just wondering what these have over the competition.
They aren't.

They do not filter as well and your used oil analysis will show elevated levels of silicon in your oil.
They were developed for racing applications where engines are not expected to last more than a few thousand miles between rebuilds and where every smitten of HP can make the difference between winning and losing.

They offer no advantage to a stock or lightly modified normally aspirated engine. Any HP gains are so insignificant so as to not be "feelable". It's all psychological... they make more noise, so the engine SOUNDS like it has better throttle response and power.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Any HP gains are so insignificant so as to not be "feelable". It's all psychological... they make more noise, so the engine SOUNDS like it has better throttle response and power.
I like the sound playing cards make when they click against the spokes of my bicycle wheels.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #15

To gain more power, what about an upgraded chip? I don't know anything about one for the taco 4cyl
but have concerning other vehicles in need of HP gains.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
The only chips worth anything are the ones you dip in guacamole.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
The only chips worth anything are the ones you dip in guacamole.

true. only 'chip it' of you have something worth doing,
like a blower or turbo. something that requires serious engine management.

you really cannot optimize the stock motor much with a
slap on air intake or slap on headers. they may help a wee bit
but climbing a hill, it's the same old 4 cylinder pushing it....
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To gain more power, what about an upgraded chip? I don't know anything about one for the taco 4cyl
but have concerning other vehicles in need of HP gains.
here we go...

if it could make more HP with a chip Toyota would have already done it

the engine is optimized for power/torque/economy/emissions already,
a chip reprogram will compromise 2 of those, to barely improve the other two...not
worth it in the long haul.

either go with a blower or turbo, or get a V6 is my recommendo
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
you really cannot optimize the stock motor much with a slap on air intake or slap on headers. they may help a wee bit
but climbing a hill, it's the same old 4 cylinder pushing it....
That all depends on what you start with.
The stock engine on my Yaris gained 21.7% more horsepower on the dyno with only slap on on mods. No tuning, no chip, stock ECU, and regular 87 octane pump gas:

short ram intake
large throttle body
custom intake manifold
4-2-1 header
cat back exhaust

Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
I removed the charcoal filter inside the airbox lid, put in an AFE filter and installed a TRD exhaust. These mods definately gave my 4 cylinder a bit more pep.