1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible alternative to stiff ride?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by LDurchy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Jun 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    LDurchy

LDurchy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    I will be buying a new Tacoma 4WD Access Cab in a year or two. I have heard the ride as rated 'harsh' by some sources, compared to the 2WD. Would it be suitable to put a cushey pad over the seat to compensate, or has this been tried?
    My only use for the 4WD is occassional snow or mud situation. I am not an off-roader. Expected loads would be relatively light such as a couple of pedal bikes and a rack.

I have been reading about the LSD on the 2WD and wonder if it will get me home from the general stuck situations mentioned. I think one use of the 4WD will pay for itself in towing charges.

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    i have a new access cab with no issues. i think some people are just too picky (or maybe have back issues) you can always get it re-uphostered if you got the $$ to something more comfortable, but i have no issues (i'm young though)
    as for the 4wd...GET IT. i debated that for 6 months before i bought my truck, but you will be glad you got it. there's been a few moments i've had to use it just light offroading (i probably could of got it in 2wd, but Aint Nobody Got Time Fo 'Dat!.) you wont regret it and the resale is also really increased.

3. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    It's funny what some people call harsh or rough. I grew up with a one ton flat bed that I never saw any load compress the springs on it. That was harsh. I've driven cross country and off road in 3/4 tons unloaded. Those were pretty harsh too.

My 4WD Tacoma rides like a nice truck. Not as nice as my avalanche, but far better than many trucks I've owned. I drive it on one or two trips each year that are 4000-5000 mile round trips with no complaints.

I will be changing the suspension this fall, so the ride may go bad, but the factory setup has been fine.

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    I came from a lowered car, so the Tacoma is like riding on a cloud comparatively lol

Seriously though, these are not new BMWs, they are a reasonably priced pick-up truck, so the ride wont be perfect.

5. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    hygieneboy

hygieneboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Install Bilstein 5100 shocks at OEM ride height and the ride is much softer than the Tokicos it comes with on the base and SR5. I've heard it's even better than the Bilstein Toyota shocks that come on the TRD.

6. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler
    truck is definitely not stiff. they can ride im my f350 dually. had it for towing trailers and that fucker is stiff.

people are expecting everything to be like a car.

Products Discussed in

To Top