Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

want more power for my 2.7l.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Jackal1392 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Jackal1392's Tacoma Gallery
want more power for my 2.7l.

I have a single cab 2.7l, I want to get more power out of her. I've heard some things about the air intake being better then most cold air intakes, if the trd cold air intake is better I would like to get that. I want to put a trd exhaust, if I can't find one better. I also want to turbo it. If anyone has any input on this please let me know.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a trd filter and magnaflow exhaust. Sounds good but doesn't add much power. You'll want headers as well, they add a little bit more power.
Planning on doing headers and a turbo at some point to mine as well.... Would love beating the v6s with my 4 banger!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
For the money you're going to spend, you'd be better off getting a V6. More power stock than you'll squeeze out of the I4 with those mods. And more reliability.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
There is no replacement for displacement.

To answer the question you asked though, this thread has some good tips.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ore-power.html

How much power? A little is the header. A lot is the supercharger.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
There is no replacement for displacement.

False. Its called boost
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
False. Its called boost
I agree. I was following up the generic "go get a 4.0" answer.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
I agree. I was following up the generic "go get a 4.0" answer.
I knowz.

The 4.0 isnt even that great. If youre gonna do an engine swap, might as well do it right and get it over with. Get the tundra 5.7 or 2jz. All other engines cant GTFO lol
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
For the money you're going to spend, you'd be better off getting a V6. More power stock than you'll squeeze out of the I4 with those mods. And more reliability.
Hard to argue
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab

want more power for my 2.7l.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372049269.234137.jpg
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I knowz.

The 4.0 isnt even that great. If youre gonna do an engine swap, might as well do it right and get it over with. Get the tundra 5.7 or 2jz. All other engines cant GTFO lol
I'd like to see someone fit a 5.7 in a tacoma
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I'd like to see someone fit a 5.7 in a tacoma
Its been done. Ive seen a 2jz in a 2nd gen reg cab and it was fckin sex!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I knowz.

The 4.0 isnt even that great. If youre gonna do an engine swap, might as well do it right and get it over with. Get LS motor. All other engines cant GTFO lol
FTFY
Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
FTFY
Gotta stay pure to toyota. Its not some POS ford or chevy that you can throw a mismatched engine in. It deserves more than that.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
This all leads to fighter jet engine mods, too much is not enough.

If you need power, keep rpm's over 2500, 3500-4000 too. I haven't needed to go over 3500 overall on highways. If that doesn't do it for you, the paltry 10 or so added up HP wont likely satisfy a want for more power.

As far as CAI's, the TRD one is for 4.0, wont fit the 2.7. I don't think any CAI on the 2.7 would show up on the rear wheels much on a dyno.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its been done. Ive seen a 2jz in a 2nd gen reg cab and it was fckin sex!
2jz swaps are done all the time. Show me this mythical 5.7 powered tacoma
Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
no one would swap a 5.7 in when you can do an LS swap and have all the parts you need to do so. I know cause ive thrown around the idea myself.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #17

Good advice on using the VVT-i HP curve. He's got an auto and the TCM is programmed more towards the torque curve.

The question is what is meant by more power?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
Thank you everyone for the input, now as much as i would like to upgrade to a bigger taco, i can not. I am only 21 with bad credit, and my parents bought my truck. Now I do have a stock celica turbo from my brothers car, and was woundering if that would work in my taco.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
DerpWerx Fab

Hahahah be ready to drop serious cash down

Gotta have custom headers made to bolt up to turbo, then gonna have to tap into an oil supple for the turbo, then injectors, fuel pump, programming, intercooler, etc etc.

So unless you have money or credit cards with awesome limits, get turbo out of your head lol
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
I want to get more torque out of my truck.

Products Discussed in this Thread