Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder shift points... keeping the revs low

Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder shift points... keeping the revs low

I've noticed that running the 2.7 up to higher rpms on level roads doesn't necessarily make the truck accelerate a whole lot faster than shifting at lower rpms. It seems more efficient to let the slow turning 4 banger do what it does best... pull. So I've been reminding myself to shift at about 2,000 rpms, and will find out if it helps the gas mileage. This works out to these shift points:

1st to 2nd: 15mph
2nd to 3rd: 25mph
3rd to 4th: 35mph
4th to 5th: 50mph
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I've noticed that running the 2.7 up to higher rpms on level roads doesn't necessarily make the truck accelerate a whole lot faster than shifting at lower rpms. It seems more efficient to let the slow turning 4 banger do what it does best... pull. So I've been reminding myself to shift at about 2,000 rpms, and will find out if it helps the gas mileage. This works out to these shift points:

yes, it will help gas mileage.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Good to see experimentation and good information, but there are many configurations that can change this. An access cab and 4x4 will be lugging all day with that. I shift at 3000 RPM with my 1st to 2nd shift, then 2500 for the rest of the gears. It gets the truck moving well and 21mpg average here in the North East. A little more weight to push.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
My shift points match that list pretty closely. With those speeds for shift points it's closer to 2500 rpm on the 4x4.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Good to see experimentation and good information, but there are many configurations that can change this. An access cab and 4x4 will be lugging all day with that. I shift at 3000 RPM with my 1st to 2nd shift, then 2500 for the rest of the gears. It gets the truck moving well and 21mpg average here in the North East. A little more weight to push.
That makes sense, because the 2TR-FE starts making torque at 2500 rpm.

If you want to hustle, you gotta upshift above 5000 rpm for max power.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
21mpg average here in the North East.
I've averaged the last three tanks and got the same, with what I consider normal shirting. With an advertised 24city/27hwy, its good to hear I'm not far from other real world milages. I was beginning to wonder if I did rev too high at the top of each gear. I didn't get the 4banger to set new milage records, I just wanted a solid truck that will lug really well and the 6cyl was simply more than I needed.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That sounds just right for a 4x4. The only reason I shift at 2,000 without lugging on level roads is that my 2.7 is in a no frills base model standard cab 5 lug 4x2 with no AC or power steering. The engine doesn't do anything else except move the truck, Using it as a fully loaded work truck, so far it's been averaging 24mpg with no freeway driving.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
My reg cab 4x4 does alright up here in Maine. I try to keep the shifts between 2500 and 3k and get pretty decent mileage with everyday driving.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That makes sense, because the 2TR-FE starts making torque at 2500 rpm.

If you want to hustle, you gotta upshift above 5000 rpm for max power.

Thanks for posting that chart, Ken.

It documents an interesting fact. The 2.7 is rated by the factory at 159hp at the output shaft and yet only makes 119hp at the wheels. This indicates a whopping loss of 40hp in the drivetrain. I'm really surprised it's that much!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It documents an interesting fact. The 2.7 is rated by the factory at 159hp at the output shaft and makes 119hp at the wheels. This indicates a whopping loss of 40hp in the drivetrain. I'm really surprised it's that much!
119 at the wheels? damn.... i wonder how much HP i have with 35s and no regear
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It documents an interesting fact. The 2.7 is rated by the factory at 159hp at the output shaft and yet only makes 119hp at the wheels. This indicates a whopping loss of 40hp in the drivetrain. I'm really surprised it's that much!

i think he had clogged cats at the time of the dyno pull.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
i think he had clogged cats at the time of the dyno pull.
Were you actually there for the pulls or are you just joking around?

Rear wheel drive has considerable parasitic drag from the transmission and third member plus there is more loss from all of the accessories dragging on the serpentine belt.

Does anyone else know if another bone stock Taco 2.7 dyno chart exists?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes the one from URD supercharger kit. Same 120.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Were you actually there for the pulls or are you just joking around?

Rear wheel drive has considerable parasitic drag from the transmission and third member plus there is more loss from all of the accessories dragging on the serpentine belt.

whoops got the dyno sheets mixed up. lol

for some reason i thought that was the URD one when i posted lol. it was mentioned in that thread that he had clogged cats.
which might help explain the small differences in power.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
YotakingO is on a distinguished road
YotakingO's Tacoma Gallery
Great info! I normally shift at 3000 RPM. Gonna try this.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotakingO View Post
Great info! I normally shift at 3000 RPM. Gonna try this.
Same here . Unless I'm in a residential neighborhood I'm keeping it at 3-3.5k shift points .
Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
motorhead1257 is on a distinguished road
Name: Les
motorhead1257's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my 1st Taco and LOVE IT... It's a 2010 Reg. Cab 4x4 longbed 5spd. 4cyl. and it took me some serious driving and reminding myself it's not like my 7.3L Powerstroke with a chip. LOL I noticed on mine that the shift points between 2,000 and 3,000 1st. to 2nd. shift point and then 3,000 to 4,000 from 2nd. gear on. The redline is at almost 6,000 rpms so shifting below 5,000 should be more than safe I would think. Anyhow, thanks for the posts and information on here.

Les
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
i shift below 3000 on the street, anytime off road, im not shifting until im at 4500+
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes the one from URD supercharger kit. Same 120.
Good. Thanks!

117hp and 119hp from two independent sources confirm a reliable stock hp baseline.

This is really valuable information for anyone who wants to accurately measure any gains from their 2.7 mods.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Gapup is on a distinguished road
Name: Earl
Gapup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

While still in my 02 conv cab - 2.4/5spd - I got in the habit of shifting at the 10's. I continue to do the same with this 07 2.7/5spd.

1st to 2nd: 10mph
2nd to 3rd: 20mph
3rd to 4th: 30mph
4th to 5th: 40mph

There might be occasions to boost the shift range up when attaining cruise more quickly but by and large, I use the 10's system in everyday city travel. I also do a lot of coasting. Traffic light turns red up ahead? Kick it into neutral and coast to the light.