Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Definitive Double Cab 4 Banger Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Definitive Double Cab 4 Banger Thread

I found TW looking for info on this rare beast, and have seen a handful of people here with the elusive and questionably powered 2.7 DCSBs. Being that I ordered mine and have spent time bouncing around random threads, I thought maybe it deserved it's own thread.

MPG tips, issues, questions, advice, mods, maintenance - hopefully we can make this a catch all thread specifically for the DCSB 4 cyl crowd.

I ordered a 2013 Super White PreRunner SR5 with 2.7 and auto trans. I plan on picking up an Ultragauge to monitor my MPGs, hopefully I'll pick one up, along with Weather Tech liners before she is ready to pick up.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Post some! Mine doesn't exist yet..
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Considering it. My only hesitation is durability and my girlfriend stabbing me to death because I promised not to mod.

But I've done it on 3 cars before and no fear of easy baking my headlights again. Maybe when she is going to be gone for the day.

Also planning on 20% tinting the front windows and adding a brow strip. This was discussed before I ordered.

And I'm not whipped!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Considering it. My only hesitation is durability and my girlfriend stabbing me to death because I promised not to mod.

But I've done it on 3 cars before and no fear of easy baking my headlights again. Maybe when she is going to be gone for the day.

Also planning on 20% tinting the front windows and adding a brow strip. This was discussed before I ordered.

And I'm not whipped!!!
LIES!

GL with your build man!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Okay maybe a little, but I've been friends with her for 12 years and been together for 5, we also moved from CA to NC on the whim and drove there towing a Uhaul. So at this point, if mama ain't happy..

She also gave the OK for a Softopper but not planning that anytime soon, and by then she'll probably forget. I'll use this thread for supporting evidence.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay maybe a little, but I've been friends with her for 12 years and been together for 5, we also moved from CA to NC on the whim and drove there towing a Uhaul. So at this point, if mama ain't happy..

She also gave the OK for a Softopper but not planning that anytime soon, and by then she'll probably forget. I'll use this thread for supporting evidence.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
gatnilab will become famous soon enoughgatnilab will become famous soon enough

Name: Patrick
gatnilab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

And I'm not whipped!!!
you love it when she in control hahaha
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I would love a DCSB 4cyl, just can't afford one, YET!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Looks like mine is still going through with Toyota, but expecting 6 weeks wait.

Ordering Weathertech liners, Wet Okole's and a Kurgo dog hammock. Color my interior protected!

Bedmat also coming. Waiting on Softopper until babies.

But dang I can't wait!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I would love a DCSB 4cyl, just can't afford one, YET!

I hear that!

They will be ready when you are.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Well after going by the dealer today looking around, it turns out a DCSB base with the V6 would honestly be only another 35 dollars or so over my current payment!

I was shocked to see power windows and cruise but still just a 2-speed wiper switch, lol...

It got me wondering how much cheaper the 4cyl would be if possible to locate?

Does the 4cyl model still have power windows and locks? I believe Toyota calls it the Convenience Package,

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
The convenience package can be added to any of the trucks, it's a trim level. Just like the SR5, TRD Offroad, TRD Sport, TX, TX Pro, etc,. Some of those might require V6s, though, I'm not sure. But I do know that the convenience package and SR5 package are available with the 4 cylinder models.

I think the convenience package is $795. SR5 is around $1500.

I wanted the 4 cyl with either the convenience package or the SR5 package, but couldn't find either. So when I had to order I went with the SR5 package which is what I preferred over the two.

The V6 I think is only $1500 more over a similarly equipped 4 cyl, though. I just know 85% of the time I'm in the truck it will just be myself and I'll be using it to do deliveries for our company so there's no point to pay the extra cost up front, extra fuel cost, etc,. when the 4 cyl is perfect for my needs 99% of the time.

Where in NC you at? I lived in Charlotte for 2 years, only been back in CA for 18 months.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in Asheville,

Thanks for clearing that up,

I wouldn't mind a DCSB w/out it but I'll bet a dealer would be hard pressed to have one in stock on the lot,

Manual windows all the way around and no cruise, lol....

Would be great out in the safari or Australia... hahaha

I am going to ask on Monday if they could locate one with the 4cly,
if not I may see what the numbers look like to possibly trade,

I do like the fact the Convenience package comes with Keyless Entry,
I rather like the dark plastic fenders and bumpers,
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
gatnilab will become famous soon enoughgatnilab will become famous soon enough

Name: Patrick
gatnilab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I'm in Asheville,

Thanks for clearing that up,

I wouldn't mind a DCSB w/out it but I'll bet a dealer would be hard pressed to have one in stock on the lot,

Manual windows all the way around and no cruise, lol....

Would be great out in the safari or Australia... hahaha

I am going to ask on Monday if they could locate one with the 4cly,
if not i may see what the numbers look like to possibly trade,

I do like the fact the Convenience package comes with Keyless Entry,
I rather like the dark plastic fenders and bumpers,
I think they all come with the basic now from 2012-2013 and newer even come with bluetooth headunit really good I love it haha.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, the Bluetooth touch stereo comes in 2013,

My 2012 didn't have it,
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Tarheel
agoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really nice

Name: Goude
agoude's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine, got it in January.
I just put on 265/75/16 from 245's, love the look... But it's feeling a little sluggish now.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Great looking truck, agoude! What kind of MPG change are you seeing?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
Tarheel
agoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really niceagoude is just really nice

Name: Goude
agoude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great looking truck, agoude! What kind of MPG change are you seeing?
Thanks man.

I just put the tires on over the weekend so I'm not sure yet. I filled up yesterday so I will report back on the next fill up. I was averaging 23-24 before.

Hopefully it's not too bad, have noticed loss in accelaration though.