1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Locker in a 4cyl

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by bighoss454, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    bighoss454

bighoss454 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Newb here. Been lurking around forums for quite some time reading through threads and anwering my own questions. Decided to register and enlist the help of one's wiser...

I currently have a 2005 4 cyl taco single cab as my daily driver. No mods as I just use it for work. Wife and I are having kid number two in 5 months and she gave me the blessing to get another truck. I really like the look of the 2013 Taco Access Cab so i think i amgoing to get that in a 4 cyl as well. For some reason in my head, the double cab just doesn't look right to me.

I have seen a lot of you guys make your trucks look real bad ass and still functional. I was going back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive and I just won 't use the 4 wheel drive enough to warrant the extra cost. I go out to the desert occasionally and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used an air locker on your 2 wheel drive. Do you think it would be a good investment?

2. Jul 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    Clown Baby

Clown Baby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 prerunner
    Bump. Considering putting an ARB in my 2.7L singlecab over selling it for a 4x4. Mostly for sand. Hope someone has some input.

3. Jul 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I plan on putting a lunch box locker in mine I would for sure do a air locker if I had the money but 300 is easy to swing vs the 1500 or so for a air locker.. But yes it's worth it.. I went with a 2wd for the same reason and do plenty off road with no problems mud and loose rocks on steep inclines do kick my ass though..

4. Jul 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    bighoss454

bighoss454 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    I did some more research and found a company called powertrax. Might be worth checking in to . Not a full air locker but they claim their product would help out in the small situations we could get ourselves into

5. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's the locker I was saying I was looking in to. Make sure you are okay with extra tire wear and the locker kicking in and out randomly though it kicks in when you are in the gas so you have to try to stay off the gas when turning and your tires will wear faster because of this... The benefits for me out weigh the negatives of the power trax and I will be getting one soon

6. Jul 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    lapfamily

lapfamily New Member

Member:
    I have run a powertrax for about 80k miles in my Jeep - love it. Increased tire wear is nominal. Easy DIY install.

7. Jul 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    It looks as though that advice is spot on for earlier model 1st gens.

Any info for later 1st gens or 2nd gens?

8. Jul 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    grovestreet

grovestreet Well-Known Member

Member:
    I searched on the issue and some say the rear diff is the same for all the first gen tacos. Just contact the customer service I guess.

I.assume you were talking about Aussie. Since I found the matching one from powertrax easily.

Products Discussed in

To Top