Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 dyno charts

Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #61
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I don't think dynoing mine up at 5280 ft would tell us much.

Since we are talking racing now, my '70 Challenger Convertible with a healthy 360 has run a best of 15.0 @ 94 mph at Bandimere @ 5800 ft. Doesn't sound impressive but with the altitude adjusted that's a 14.1 @ 99.3. 3.23 gears and a rather mild stall converter are costing me at least a half second, but it cruises at 75 nicely.

4:11 and a gear vendor overdrive sound appealing but a tremec 5 speed is what I'm saving for.
You going to Bandimere to watch this weekend?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #62
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Na, done that a few times...... It's fucking HOT out there.

I run at the Mopar meet they have in May when it isn't sweltering.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #63
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah yes, the old shoe boxes. I love 'em. Here's a pic of the '55 my brother and I built and raced in the late 70's, early 80's. This pic is circa 1981 at Bowling Green, KY. I believe when this pic was made it had a 461 ci big block/TH400 in it.

By 1985 it had morphed into this:

Ah, Pick... that brings back "old guy" memories.

I had a 210 2 door sedan similar to yours, except it was a mild street car. Just a stock 1963 Corvette 327ci block and heads, with an Edelbrock high rise and Holly 3310 on it. Moved pretty good for its time. And my Sun tach was on the inside.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #64
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
The tach's on the inside on this one too. That's a mechanical fuel pressure guage on cowl. NHRA rules wisely wouldn't allow gas in the interior so we had to mount them outside.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #65
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The tach's on the inside on this one too. That's a mechanical fuel pressure guage on cowl. NHRA rules wisely wouldn't allow gas in the interior so we had to mount them outside.
Smart move.
That chrome cowl looked similar to a Sun.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #66
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Watching Mopar Mile High Nationals on ESPN2 now, and it's 108F with hardly a cloud in the sky.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #67
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick update...
I should be posting another 2.7 dyno chart this week if I can find the time and the dyno shop is free.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #69
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
Sweet^^^ hm makes me wonder what the weight difference was between my stock wheels and tires and ny x runner wheels and tires I'm running now. I may have added weight putting 18's :*(**
I weighed everything when I went from heavy oversized diameter off road truck tires and steel wheels to stock diameter lightweight passenger car highway tires and alloy wheels. And got a total weight reduction of 61 pounds.

Man... that totally changed how the truck drives, and significantly improved the gas mileage, too.

The dyno is on for this coming Friday the 30th. I got bumped last week because of a race car transmission project the dyno guy was doing. That job is done now so my prospects are good for day after tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #70
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I weighed everything when I went from heavy oversized diameter off road truck tires and steel wheels to stock diameter lightweight passenger car highway tires and alloy wheels. And got a total weight reduction of 61 pounds.

Man... that totally changed how the truck drives, and significantly improved the gas mileage, too.

The dyno is on for this coming Friday the 30th. I got bumped last week because of a race car transmission project the dyno guy was doing. That job is done now so my prospects are good for day after tomorrow.
Have you weighed your truck ?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #71
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Have you weighed your truck ?
No. I only weighed the wheels and tires when I changed them over. My 2012 Taco is just the cheapest smallest standard cab 5 lug with no options. I only use it for work and never go off road so it perfectly fits my needs.

Edit: Just looked up the 2012 curb weights.

Standard Cab: 3,250 lbs.

Access Cab: 3,560 lbs.

Double Cab: 3,665 lbs.

X Runner: 3,805 lbs.

My work truck is always loaded full of tools and material so it weighs at least as much as the X Runner.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Just got the confirmation from the shop...

...the dyno run is on for tomorrow!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #73
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I'de like to hear it as well as see the results

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #74
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
No. I only weighed the wheels and tires when I changed them over. My 2012 Taco is just the cheapest smallest standard cab 5 lug with no options. I only use it for work and never go off road so it perfectly fits my needs.

Edit: Just looked up the 2012 curb weights.

Standard Cab: 3,250 lbs.

Access Cab: 3,560 lbs.

Double Cab: 3,665 lbs.

X Runner: 3,805 lbs.

My work truck is always loaded full of tools and material so it weighs at least as much as the X Runner.
My single cab 4x4 weighed 3650 stock. It's 3940 now
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #75
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I'de like to hear it as well as see the results

I didn't get to take any movies of the baseline dyno runs because I was busy driving the truck. I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow.

Greg
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #76
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, here's the before and after dyno runs.
These two were 4th gear runs, so the speed limiter cuts off the engine at about 4,700rpm. The spacer run started really low, at just 1,200rpm.

BLUE: stock intake

RED: tooter 2.7 intake manifold spacer

(ta da... )

The torque peak is now increased by 2ftlbs over stock to 160 ftlbs @ 2,900 rpm.

And also look at what is happening at that 2,900 rpm. There's a difference of 10 ftlbs from the stock intake.

Now, we did one run in third gear just to be able to get a horsepower peak up to red line.

tooter 2.7 147 hp

stock intake 145 hp

Conclusion: While the torque peak itself was only slightly increased, ithe peak was lowered way down to only 2,900 rpm, and at that rpm the tooter 2.7 yields an increase of 10 ftlbs over stock at that rpm.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #77
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Ok...

1. Concept
2. Design
3. Prototype
4. Dyno Testing

...have all been completed. And the results have successful. The tooter 2.7 has been proven to be a useful product because it lowers the torque curve, fattens the curve at very low rpms, and slightly increases the torque peak... and all without giving up peak horsepower.

The next steps are...

5. Manufacturing
6. Selling
Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #78
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
And here's the video of a dyno run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ofUy8_-6Q

It begins really low at only 1,300 rpm and runs up to the 5,600 rpm redline. I have the totally quiet stock exhaust system so all of the noise you're hearing coming from that 3 foot long Injen intake!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #80
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is all on the OEM tune correct? If so, man does it run lean until after 4000 rpms.

Aside from that, good implementation. Glad to see your piece is making gains.
Yes. Both runs were done with a totally stock ECM, no tuning, and just regular 87 octane pump gasoline.

I'm sure that more gains can be gotten from tuning, but these runs were made only to quantify the difference of before and after the tooter 2.7 without any other changes to cloud the accuracy of the results.