Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 dyno charts

Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Smile 2.7 dyno charts

There is an abysmal lack of performance information on the trusty little 2.7, so I did some baseline dyno runs for an accurate comparison to any planned future mods. Here's a 4th gear run that the speed limiter cut off at 110mph. The rpms went high enough to be able to get an accurate torque curve from 1,500 rpm to it's peak at 3,200rpm.

We did 3rd gear runs just to be able to beat out the speed limiter enough to record peak horsepower.

The runs were done with a stock 2.7, an Injen intake...

...an LCEngineering header...

...no power steering, no air conditioning...

...stock ECU, no tuning, and Regular 87 octane pump gas.

Here are the URD bone stock baseline dyno runs.

The results:

Bone stock 2.7 URD baseline runs:

117 hp 139 ftlbs
119 hp 133 ftlbs

My stock 2.7 baseline results with Injen intake, LCE header, and stock exhaust:

145 hp 158 ftlbs

Net gain:

26 hp 19 ftlbs

I'm happy with the results from just a few simple bolt on mods.

I'll be doing more comparative dyno runs from here on out to log any future component changes, and will post them in this thread.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the kind words, tor...
I want to do some experimenting in the future, so these runs will come in real handy.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I might copy these over to the N/A dyno mods thread, just for backup.

But this is much needed info, and hopefully there are others that have done mods as well, who might have dynos.

Either way, threads like this put the speculation to paper, and motivate people to move forward with their own performance desires. In the end it helps everyone.
Learning the nay sayers 1 at a time...... Becuz racetruck.

Or in Roberts case...... Race couch?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I might copy these over to the N/A dyno mods thread, just for backup.

But this is much needed info, and hopefully there are others that have done mods as well, who might have dynos.

Either way, threads like this put the speculation to paper, and motivate people to move forward with their own performance desires. In the end it helps everyone.
Please do. It's exciting to be a "trailblazer".

The 2.7 is just a slow turning high torque "industrial" engine so there isn't much general interest in performance modifications...

...but I'm interested.

So far I have recorded gains of 22% more horsepower and 14% more torque with just a header and an intake. Heck, the intake isn't even cold air, (I think they're highly overrated). I'm running the stock muffler so as not to lose the low end torque, as that's the little 2.7's strong suit.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Please do. It's exciting to be a "trailblazer".

The 2.7 is just a slow turning high torque "industrial" engine so there isn't much general interest in performance modifications...

...but I'm interested.

So far I have recorded gains of 22% more horsepower and 14% more torque with just a header and an intake. Heck, the intake isn't even cold air, (I think they're highly overrated). I'm running the stock muffler so as not to lose the low end torque, as that's the little 2.7's strong suit.
I suspect the deletion of a/c and power steering contributed a good bit to your power gains as well. But hey, great results nonetheless and great information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
I suspect the deletion of a/c and power steering contributed a good bit to your power gains as well. But hey, great results nonetheless and great information. Thanks for sharing.
The gain is minimal as the AC compressor pulley freewheels when it's off because its electric clutch is disengaged.

And there is no steering input when running on the dyno, so there is zero hydraulic load on the power steering pump.

Still every little bit helps, and I'm sure that it's good for a couple of hp.
I removed all of the extra idler pulleys while retaining the spring loaded tensioner, and am running a short belt so the crankshaft turns just the water pump and alternator.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
The gain is minimal as the AC compressor pulley freewheels when it's off because its electric clutch is disengaged.

And there is no steering input when running on the dyno, so there is zero hydraulic load on the power steering pump.

Still every little bit helps, and I'm sure that it's good for a couple of hp.
I removed all of the extra idler pulleys while retaining the spring loaded tensioner, and am running a short belt so the crankshaft turns just the water pump and alternator.
So how much effort does steering require when parking etc w/o the pump?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Also, have you seen a rise or drop in fuel mileage after the mods?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So how much effort does steering require when parking etc w/o the pump?
Driving is really easy, and parking takes just a little effort. The old manual steering trick is to have the wheels rolling even if only a few inches at a time while turning the wheel.

I was around when power steering was an option and manual steering was standard. I took the power steering off of my 1996 Tacoma the day I bought it brand new, and ran it for 17 years so I'm totally used to manual steering.

Both of my manual steering Tacomas are 4x2 standard cab 5 lug street trucks with passenger car tires. So I would not recommend manual steering if you have big heavy oversized "wagon wheel" off road tires.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, have you seen a rise or drop in fuel mileage after the mods?
I haven't really driven the truck enough with all of the mods done, but so far the average is unchanged at 24mpg.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Driving is really easy, and parking takes just a little effort. The old manual steering trick is to have the wheels rolling even if only a few inches at a time while turning the wheel.

I was around when power steering was an option and manual steering was standard. I took the power steering off of my 1996 Tacoma the day I bought it brand new, and ran it for 17 years so I'm totally used to manual steering.

Both of my manual steering Tacomas are 4x2 standard cab 5 lug street trucks with passenger car tires. So I would not recommend manual steering if you have big heavy oversized "wagon wheel" off road tires.
I was around when manual steering was an option also, and in fact have owned several manual vehicles, including full size chevy trucks and cars. I've also taken the power steering off of cars I turned into race cars, but I always put a manual steering box on them as there is a big difference in the ratios. Good to hear the rack and pinion works well without the boost on our Tacos. I share your passion for simple, efficient vehicles, in fact, that's what drew me to the 5-lug Tacoma. I'm really surprised by how much you picked up with those simple bolt on's. Looking forward to seeing what's next!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the steering ratio is quicker than a manual, but since 5 lugs are small and light, you can get away with it on low rolling resistance passenger car tires. When I disconnected the assist, I simply used one of the hoses to connect the output to the input so that the unit remains full of fluid.

Like you, I love simple vehicles. And now that no one manufactures them any more, I simplify them myself.

As far as gains, I'm certain that the majority came from the LCE long tube header. The runners on the stock header are only 17 inches long, while the LCE runners are 30% longer at 22 inches...

Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed my stock intake has a decent growl at certain RPMs,

Is the Injen noticeably louder?

I imagine so...
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I felt a good difference also . Just put on my LCE a week ago . Thanks for doing this.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I have noticed my stock intake has a decent growl at certain RPMs,

Is the Injen noticeably louder?

I imagine so...
Since there is no air box to resonate the sound, the Injen intake is actually very quiet under all normal driving conditions (and I also run the quiet stock muffler)... except wide open throttle.

Because the intake tube is a whopping three feet long...

when you mash the pedal you hear this really deep BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAA!!!!!

The Injen intake is also very economically priced at only $220 including free shipping from MicroImage.com.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Would you estimate the header hp gain to be around 20hp
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Dont know if it matters but the truck used by urd (I think) was a 6-lug pre-runner (bigger tires and I think different diff ratio)