Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Recommend me a sparkplug

Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
Recommend me a sparkplug

Any threads here on sparkplug choices for the 4bangers? Mine are due and I always take the opportunity to upgrade whenever possible. Are there any performance enhancing plugs you guys would recommend?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
ramirezsergio63 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sergio
ramirezsergio63's Tacoma Gallery
Try NGK laser Iridiums
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezsergio63 View Post
Try NGK laser Iridiums
Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
SuazoYota is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
SuazoYota's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Denso Iridium #3421, these were the same plugs i pulled out too
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
First question: yes, there are existing threads discussing spark plug options for the 2.7, do a search.
Second question: no. Even if you could find a plug that is superior to the stock Denso iridiums, IMHO they would probably not be worth the extra cost for whatever added benefit they provide. Have you done any mods to the engine that would justify installing different plugs?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Best thing to for a jap engine is jap plugs like denso or NGK.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
I have used BOSCH Platinum tip spark plugs in several kinds of cars with great luck. I know a local car dealer that will 'Bosch it' when a used car comes in that runs funny. Often, that is the cure. I first put them in a known, oil burner, because it fouled plugs. Not the smoking kind of oil burn, but the sneaky kind. The long-term reliability of that vehicle proved to me how effective they are. Granted, there may be better plugs out there, but the BOSCH was a standout against other brands in that particular vehicle.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I used to say NGK and nothing else. That was based on almost 30 years of experience with NGK's. I would rank them as one of the best plugs I've found. I recently joined a discussion it which a poster convinced me that Denso is also a good choice. When you stop and think about what a spark plug does (ignites a compressed air/fuel mixture), you realize that damn near any spark plug will accomplish that function. It ain't rocket science folks, it's a gap that a spark jumps between! What you're really looking for how long will that spark plug last while performing that function. With some engines the procedure of replacing plugs is difficult and the life of the plug becomes even more important.
Back in the days of carburetors, points, single coils and buggy whips - spark plugs were replaced more frequently. Now with fuel injection, distributor-less ignition and coil packs; plugs last much longer. Plugs still wear out but generally not from bad mixtures, oil contamination, carbon bridging, high lead and heat. Now they wear out mostly due to spark erosion. In my opinion some plugs are way over rated (read that as, "over marketed and way too damn expensive")

OK , that was a long way around the barn but I still trust NGK and Denso to get that job done and get it done for a long time.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
My owners manual has a part # for NGK and Denso. I run the NGKs. They had them in stock at Autozone.