Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

tooter 2.7 intake manifold spacer...

Old 10-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #382
qdude79 is on a distinguished road
qdude79's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't they come from Toyota like this? Seems cheap and simple enough, in mass production...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #384
MaxT is on a distinguished road

MaxT's Tacoma Gallery
Intake

Quality takes time. It is better to wait a few days and get a perfect product. Again thanks for helping our 4-bangers sing.

Max
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #385
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
That thing looks badass. I like it black better than aluminum
It does. And it should also work a little better as nylon is an insulator exactly like the rest of the intake manifold is.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #386
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdude79 View Post
Why don't they come from Toyota like this? Seems cheap and simple enough, in mass production...
I asked myself exactly that same question, as Toyota could mold a nylon intake manifold in any form they wanted.

My guess is that it's likely a compromise between top and and bottom end performance and of course emissions requirements. Although I don't see how just making the intake runners longer would affect the A/F ratio. The fuel doesn't even get sprayed until after the intake air has already passed the spacer.

2 inch longer runners isn't a huge amount, and it's not like it magically "supercharges" the engine. It just made the torque peak come on 250 rpm sooner, and fattened up the curve in a few places.

But for a simple passive bolt on part... the results are actually pretty decent.

Greg
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #387
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Did I miss what the price is roughly gonna be?
Yeah, it keeps getting buried in these long threads. The price is $225 including shipping to the lower 48 states. When I have the spacers assembled into kits and all boxed up ready to ship, I'll begin a fresh "For Sale" thread in the 2nd generation Marketplace.

Greg
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #388
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxT View Post
Quality takes time. It is better to wait a few days and get a perfect product.

Max
While nothing in this world is perfect, I'll get it reasonably close.

What I find so exciting is the whole creative process...
We set off into uncharted waters, and encounter all sorts of little design and production obstacles, and then try to come up with clever inventive ways to sail around them. This brings with it all the feelings of being an explorer or a pioneer... without the danger.

Quote:
Again thanks for helping our 4-bangers sing.
You're most welcome...
It's literally my pleasure, because my cup is already overflowing with the rewards of personal satisfaction from turning a concept into reality. I tell you, if I never even sold one of these, I already consider the project a success because of how nicely it works on my own truck.

Greg
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #389
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure hoping these will be available still come January, which is realistically when I'll be able to grab one.............diggin the black nylon too. This may be just the thing to influence my want to go ahead with 265/75/16s from the 265/70/16s I have now. I think a little less gap in the wells would look better and I'll be needing to be making a tire decision come first of year as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #390
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Would you be willing to ship to Canada?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #391
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I'm sure hoping these will be available still come January, which is realistically when I'll be able to grab one.............diggin the black nylon too.
No problem. The CNC design program is completely set to make accurate parts that fit perfectly. And when the jig to grip the spacers from inside the runners is made, the outside can then be finished off smoothly and completely in just one pass.

The company I'm working with creates one-off prototype designs, and is not a product manufacturer, so this project falls outside their primary focus. But the engineer is willing to creatively explore new production techniques that will allow consistent results with less machine time.

Besides the holding issue, machining nylon does have some inherent advantages in that no coolant is required and there is very little stress on the CNC machine's moving parts. So we're making progress on the manufacturing techniques, and when the issues have been resolved, it will be possible to make parts consecutively.

And don't be concerned about future availability. Once sales begin and catch up with orders, the spacers will always be in stock.

Greg
Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #392
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
Would you be willing to ship to Canada?
Sure.
For a slight additional charge just to cover the actual difference between shipping domestically and shipping to Canada.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #393
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

And don't be concerned about future availability. Once sales begin and catch up with orders, the spacers will always be in stock.

Greg
Good news!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #394
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
So, would putting a intake spacer on any engine (motorcycle v-twin or a small diesel) have the same type of results?(ie dropping the torque curve).
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #395
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, would putting a intake spacer on any engine (motorcycle v-twin or a small diesel) have the same type of results?(ie dropping the torque curve).
Now that's an intriguing question.
I was wondering if it would make a difference on my DRZ...

I'm sure the intake on my bike is already optimized for torque to fit it's primary purpose. The long really strange bulging tapering intake "velocity stack" is definitely designed to make the best of the resonance of the intake pulses.

The problem with lengthening the intake runner is that the relocated carb would wreak havoc with the rest of the intake system. Trying to make everything else fit would be a nightmare.

I had much better luck modifying the exhaust system, by making a reverse megaphone out of the stock exhaust. I gutted the baffles and cut the can short to make the megaphone part of the profile.

Then adapted a billet end cap made for a Honda XR and added SuperTrapp tuning disks. This makes up the reverse part of the megaphone profile.

The head pipe is an FMF Powerbomb which has an added chamber, the volume of which which effectively lengthens the exhaust length for added low end torque.

Then I ran the bike trying different numbers of SuperTrapp disks until I found the right combination that had the most low end pull.

I'm totally pleased with the results, and have been using this exhaust for over 20,000 miles. The bike runs super.

Greg
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #396
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Ok.. officially you're my hero. I have a DRZ400 as well.

You, sir, are making me spend way too much money.

If you have also modified a V-strom 650 then I'll just mail you my visa now and be done with it.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #397
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok.. officially you're my hero. I have a DRZ400 as well.

You, sir, are making me spend way too much money.

If you have also modified a V-strom 650 then I'll just mail you my visa now and be done with it.
I know that feeling... I've sunk quite chunk of money into this project. Don't worry, you're safe!

I'm 135 pounds and can only handle smaller bikes like the DRZ comfortably. I got mine slimmed down to just 301lbs. curb weight with a full tank of gas. It's also lowered 1 1/2 inches front and rear, which really improves the handling. I even took off the heavy off road bars and installed low narrow lightweight alloy racing clip on bars. Also all the lighting except the headlight is small lightweight LED's

Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #398
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and here's a couple pics of the first production spacer on the manifold...

...and a lot more pics are posted on the spacer thread in the 2nd Generation Marketplace section.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #399
Nothin like a Toyota...
tacoJAK is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET2
Name: Josh
tacoJAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
What would it take to make my Taco's dyno sheet look like this?

A V8...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #400
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoJAK View Post
A V8...
Turbo diesel, I'm guessing a cummins.