Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

tooter 2.7 intake manifold spacer...

Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #461
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Just being aware of the possibility can make it real. And how you wield the responsibility of that much raw horsepower is a good personal test. Even on an island, riding outside in the warm sunlight under a blue sky with white puffy clouds and with lots of fresh air, can still be enjoyed. I've visited Maui and Kawai, and they're both stunningly beautiful. If I lived there I'd ride even if it was only a scooter.

I follow 3 rules:

1. Don't get angry.
2. Don't be in a hurry.
3. Don't daydream.
4. Don't try to prove anything.

They've actually worked out pretty well over the years.

Greg
Pretty good rules, Ill have to work on not day dreaming when riding and driving
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #463
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
Oh and don't check out chicks while riding, bad bad bad. Ask me how I know lol
Yea I only do that at redlights.
I flipped my old fourwheeler on its side from daydreaming though. I was going slow and didnt get hurt but it sure scared me.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #464
kylenotjon will become famous soon enoughkylenotjon will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
kylenotjon's Tacoma Gallery
Finished installing my spacer on my 13' regular cab manual 4x4 with stock sized tires and I can definitely say it makes a noticeable difference in the way the truck drives. The engine feels smoother however this may be due to changing the from 0w20 to 5w30. The biggest change for me is that 2nd gear stops lugging at ~1000rpm and is usable from 10mph on up even if going uphill. The engine just feels like it has a little more torque lower in the rpm range.

Things to note when installing the spacer: If you're using the stock intake, the only extra change you'll have to make is lengthening the pcv hose at the rear of the valve cover and everything else will shift 2in to the right. You may have difficulty installing the pcv hose at the rear of the manifold towards the fire wall so you can either extend the stock curvy hose 2in or create a different one altogether. I chose to make a new one with some 5/16 hose, 3/8 hose, and a brass hose adapter to connect the different sizes. I made the hose 12+in long so I could loop it around as space is incredibly tight back there. If I were to do it again, I'd connect the rear hose to the manifold and metal bracket before fully installing the manifold. This way you won't be lying on your back shoving your whole arm up there.

Overall, I think the spacer is worth it. I can also help with any questions related to the install.

EDIT: I also have an LCE header and AFE filter installed so those of you with stock trucks may have a different experience.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #465

Thats pretty sweet. I didnt know it would work with the stock intake.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #466
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
Thats pretty sweet. I didnt know it would work with the stock intake.
As far as I know, it still doesn't because no one has yet figured out how to make it fit with the throttle body moved 2 inches to the right.

Got any ideas? Post 'em here.

Greg
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #467
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenotjon View Post
Finished installing my spacer on my 13' regular cab manual 4x4 with stock sized tires and I can definitely say it makes a noticeable difference in the way the truck drives. The engine feels smoother however this may be due to changing the from 0w20 to 5w30. The biggest change for me is that 2nd gear stops lugging at ~1000rpm and is usable from 10mph on up even if going uphill. The engine just feels like it has a little more torque lower in the rpm range.
My experience is the same. It pulls nicely right from idle without wanting to die, and makes low speed maneuvers like backing up a hill in reverse much easier. And it was likely the fresh oil. My engine didn't run any smoother.

Quote:
Things to note when installing the spacer: If you're using the stock intake, the only extra change you'll have to make is lengthening the pcv hose at the rear of the valve cover and everything else will shift 2in to the right. You may have difficulty installing the pcv hose at the rear of the manifold towards the fire wall so you can either extend the stock curvy hose 2in or create a different one altogether. I chose to make a new one with some 5/16 hose, 3/8 hose, and a brass hose adapter to connect the different sizes. I made the hose 12+in long so I could loop it around as space is incredibly tight back there. If I were to do it again, I'd connect the rear hose to the manifold and metal bracket before fully installing the manifold. This way you won't be lying on your back shoving your whole arm up there.

Overall, I think the spacer is worth it. I can also help with any questions related to the install.

EDIT: I also have an LCE header and AFE filter installed so those of you with stock trucks may have a different experience.
I did something similar...
And even tried to start the engine not knowing that I had forgotten to connect that rubber hose in back of the manifold! I had to take everything apart and do it all over again.

Running that rear hose in a long loop and connecting it first, before bolting on the manifold is the best way to go.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #468
kylenotjon will become famous soon enoughkylenotjon will become famous soon enough

The stock intake WILL work, it'll just be under a bit of tension due to stretching the intake pipe after the filter and you won't be able to use the 3 bolts in the valve cover. You'll also have to extend the pcv hose at the back of the valve cover. That's all you have to do to use the stock intake.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #469

Quote:
Running that rear hose in a long loop and connecting it first, before bolting on the manifold is the best way to go.
Definitely do this so you don't get your arms all scratched up.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #470
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenotjon View Post
The stock intake WILL work, it'll just be under a bit of tension due to stretching the intake pipe after the filter and you won't be able to use the 3 bolts in the valve cover. You'll also have to extend the pcv hose at the back of the valve cover. That's all you have to do to use the stock intake.
Thanks for clearing that up, Kyle. Glad to hear it.

I got confused when you said you had an AFE filter, and mistakenly thought you were referring to a complete AFE intake.

Greg
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #471
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I only do that at redlights.
I flipped my old fourwheeler on its side from daydreaming though. I was going slow and didnt get hurt but it sure scared me.
Scared is good because it's a warning that can save you from something worse.

And there's something else I only do at red lights when lines of vehicles are completely stopped... and that's lanesplitting. I just can't bring myself to do it when vehicles are moving because you never know when someone is going to suddenly decide to change lanes. Vehicles that can't move are safe so that's when You can travel at roughly twice the speed of city traffic by using every red light as an opportunity to move to the front of the line.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #472

Yeah I don't lane split, but I'm pretty sure its against the law in Ga anyways.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #473
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Surprizingly it's actually legal in California. One of the few things that is.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #474

Yea thats what I was thinking when you mentioned it. Ga has a law that california doesn't kinda odd, we have helmet laws to. The old guys on harley's mostly wear those cheap non DOT half helemts though.
About 2 years ago they finally passed a law requiring pickup drivers to wear seatbelts. Were about 40yrs behind the rest of the nation.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #476
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
Someone should make a full write up on this install, with pics
This is as good a place as any to start.
From my own installation these are the main points.

Throttle body electric plug.
Throttle body coolant hoses.
The two lower support rods.
Hose support clamps.
Rear intake manifold hose

Let me know which of these you want to know about and I'll take each one individually with pictures even if some were already addressed earlier in the thread.

Greg
Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #477
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Surprizingly it's actually legal in California. One of the few things that is.
It's actually labeled lane sharing and cars do it all the time, like wanting to make a right turn and sliding in next to a car that's waiting for a light to go straight. As for splitting on a bike at speed, been doing it for 20+ accident-free years, but I have had a few cars attempt to end that.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #478
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea thats what I was thinking when you mentioned it. Ga has a law that california doesn't kinda odd, we have helmet laws to. The old guys on harley's mostly wear those cheap non DOT half helemts though.
About 2 years ago they finally passed a law requiring pickup drivers to wear seatbelts. Were about 40yrs behind the rest of the nation.

Not necessarily a bad thing to be 40 years behind! .....I ride in north GA at least once a year, sometimes several times a year. Usually stay in Blairsville, or up at Murphy. Great riding. Not as good as it was 15 years ago, but still great. Oh, and I wear a DOT/Snell rated 3/4 helmet on my HD. Keep threatening to go full face, but haven't done it yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #479
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
As for splitting on a bike at speed, been doing it for 20+ accident-free years, but I have had a few cars attempt to end that.
Yeah, I hear you. I compensate for getting older by taking fewer risks. That way I can keep on riding.

Greg
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #480
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a '12 PreRunner access cab AUTO and just installed the spacer on my truck last week.

All of the installation issues I've run into have already been discussed in previous posts.

Got a chance to drive the truck out to the other side of the island and the spacer definitely made a difference. There's a long uphill stretch on one of the freeways that usually has the truck hunting gears; not a problem this time Furthermore, upshifts aren't as harsh as the shifted torque curve keeps the engine from bogging at the lower/post-shift RPMs.

The only issue I've noticed is an initial rattle upon startup due to the resonator now floating. Per Greg (Tooter), I'm planning on putting some silicone on the bottom of the resonator to reduce/eliminate the rattle.

Engine mods are very minor and include the following:

Resonator delete/elbow mod
Secondary/charcoal filter delete
AFE drop in filter

Just changed the plugs and oil per OEM spec. The goal of my modifications is to make the daily driving experience better and the spacer definitely helps to achieve that goal.

Anyone got LCE headers for sale?