Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2nd Gen 2.7 manual 5spd question?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
WPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really nice

WPDAWG11's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen 2.7 manual 5spd question?

So I find this transmission to be one of the most temperamental I have ever driven. It gets pretty jerky with the AC running on high. Anyway no way I would have gotten an auto so I digress.

On a regular start do you just ease the clutch out without gas or do you give it gas while releasing or do you do it some other way?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Get familiar with the point where the clutch starts to engage, this part might be the key.
At that point I give it light throttle and continue to let out. I don't ease it out, neither do I just drop it though, perhaps about 3/4 a second for the process.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
So I find this transmission to be one of the most temperamental I have ever driven. It gets pretty jerky with the AC running on high. Anyway no way I would have gotten an auto so I digress.

On a regular start do you just ease the clutch out without gas or do you give it gas while releasing or do you do it some other way?
What problem?
I removed my AC... and the power steering too.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
WPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
Get familiar with the point where the clutch starts to engage, this part might be the key.
At that point I give it light throttle and continue to let out. I don't ease it out, neither do I just drop it though, perhaps about 3/4 a second for the process.
Yeah this is what I have done with every other 5spd I have driven but seems outlandishly tricky on this truck. Is it just my truck or am I crazy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
What problem?
I removed my AC... and the power steering too.
Oh man it has been like 100+ here. And none of that pussy dry heat either.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah this is what I have done with every other 5spd I have driven but seems outlandishly tricky on this truck. Is it just my truck or am I crazy lol

Oh man it has been like 100+ here. And none of that pussy dry heat either.
I looked at what I sad and went ... " well, no shit.." to myself hehe.

I do just fine with the 5 spd,but it does seem like everything is off timed and quirky.
Consider pulling 2ndary air filter, adding a AFE pro dry filter and pulling the baffle in the fender. I can't say I felt power gains, but I did find the engine & clutch operation to go smoother at a stop.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I looked at what I sad and went ... " well, no shit.." to myself hehe.

I do just fine with the 5 spd,but it does seem like everything is off timed and quirky.
Consider pulling 2ndary air filter, adding a AFE pro dry filter and pulling the baffle in the fender. I can't say I felt power gains, but I did find the engine & clutch operation to go smoother at a stop.
Quirky is a good word to describe it. I will have look into that fender for sure. I miss my dakotas transmission but not the truck lol
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
JHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant future

Name: James
JHG57's Tacoma Gallery
I must not know how to shift, I don't have any problems with my 2.7 manual 5 spd. ...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

Found out there is an actual issue with my clutch
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad you did find something actually wrong...

...because normally the clutch is exceptionally easy to slip to get the vehicle rolling and the 5 speed transmission shifts smooth as butter.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
JHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant future

Name: James
JHG57's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch issue explains it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Gapup is on a distinguished road
Name: Earl
Gapup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You aren't alone. I had an '01 conventional cab with a 2.4/5spd. On occasion, I would stall the engine in traffic but over the course of 6 years, that only happened a few times.

Fast fwd: This past April I purchased a used '07 access cab with a 2.7/5spd with only 17k on the odometer. In these past 3 months I've stalled that engine far more than I ever did in the 6 years I had previous rig.

Suspects: Clutch and my hearing impairment. This rig is substantially quieter that the conv. cab was. Thus, in traffic with mucho noise around me, I can't gage RPM by sound and the 2.7 is not only very quiet but it's also absolutely the whimpiest engine I've ever encountered. If the RPM is not raised over 1000, it will give a few orgasmic jerks and collapse, like suddenly.

Then there is the clutch. From the very first my physical reaction to clutch engagement has been that it does not have smooth curve to clutch engagement. It begins to take up smoothly enough BUT at a certain point wants to complete the engagement very quickly and ..... as they say ..... that's when the trouble begins....... especially if the engine is not on a stronger portion of the torque curve. It's even worse, of course, if the rig on an incline.

To my mind, the clutch pedal really feels like its moving an over-center mechanism of some sort. Graduated movement and response ... UNTIL it reaches a certain point and then it's suddenly a solid lock up.

More torque at low RPM would be move in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was thinking this might be the case, my 4 cyl 5 speed is one of the smoothest clutches I've driven... but then again I can only compare it to a 89 trooper, 99 eclipse, and 05 forester
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What was the issue with your clutch? Curious if mine might have the same problem.....
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4 View Post
What was the issue with your clutch? Curious if mine might have the same problem.....

mine was very similiar. in a nutshell, there were weak clutches on the 2.7. when i first got my truck i posted about notchy shifting, it was fairly annoying.

then the clutch just gave up one day, and the dealer warrantied it. since then, it has shifted perfectly.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Bastards at the dealership won't change my clutch . They claim they "cannot duplicate customer issue" and tried to charge me $90. I didn't pay that but they won't put a new one in and I'm about out of warranty. Might have to put one in on my dime now .
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
what was the issue....

should be able to get it going without touching the gas.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
First I will say that the quality of the clutches in the 2nd gen 5 speeds ranges from horrible to excellent. I would say mine is average. The only real issue mine has, is that when it sits out in the rain, engagement is not smooth for at least a few stop and starts.

At the other end of the spectrum, at times I can get moving from a dead stop without applying any throttle when it is fully warmed up. When a long line of traffic starts moving when a traffic light turns green, I have noticed that this is possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Glad to hear the problem was actually a problem. My Tacoma clutch is the second-nicest I've ever driven. First would be a 911, but that's a bit unfair to even compare a truck to a Porsche.