1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gear a PITA for everyone?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by z33tec, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    z33tec

z33tec [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    I've read a bunch of threads stating that the 5 speed manual tranny is a bit clunky. It's a truck, so this is to be expected. The problem I have is that shifting from 1st to 2nd is the BIGGEST pain in the ass. I really have no other issues with the tranny other than the shift from 1st to 2nd.

The issue I have is that it almost grinds if you don't time/execute the shift perfectly. No other shift has this issue and even downshifting into 2nd from third is no problem.

Now.. I got the truck around the 1st of the year, so I have only really driven it when it's been cold out. I noticed that on the days that it hit 40 or so, I didn't seem to have as much of an issue as I do when it is freezing out. Even when it is in the 40s though, 2nd gear still isn't as smooth as the other gears.

When I first got the truck, every gear shifted as smooth as butter. It's really annoying because it's pretty much the only issue I have with the truck. :confused:

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    My 5 speed shifts smoother after it warms up. Some people in these forums suggest using Red Line MT90 to smooth out the shifting. You might try that, but I have no personal experience with it.

jeffmansion likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 08 4 cyl 5sp 4x4 Access Cab doesn't have any grinding issues going from 1st to 2nd. Maybe a little lurchy if you run it up to far in 1st then shift slow catching 2nd with to low engine rpm but overall very satisfactory.

Shifting from 2nd to 1st is another matter. You have to really be creeping to get it in or double clutch. Engine doesn't have much reciprocating mass and loses rpms fast. Gotta punch it and shift to first pretty quick.

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    z33tec

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Maybe I should have my dealer take a look at it when I get my first oil change done. :confused: They will probably just say it's normal I'm assuming.

Maybe it will get smoother as the temps rise. Who knows..

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    My 05 does the same thing, I was going to post the same question! :)

Mine seems to really "clunk" more than grind into 2nd, usually when its cold. I didn't notice it when I test drove it (I bought it a week ago) but man it freaked me out the first day thereafter!

Just a fluid change would make that much of a difference? Mine's only got 20k on it...

6. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    My shift into second is kinda weird but I don't have any issues with it. When I am accelerating it is kinda of lurchy but if I'm cruising at a steady speed, especially if I'm in neutral (even at 5 mph) the shift in to second is smooth as butter. I guess I only notice it when doing from first directly into second

7. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    z33tec

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Yeah, the only issue with mine is going straight from 1st into 2nd. Downshifting from 3rd or going in from neutral is just fine.

I believe it is only when the RPM's are up over 2.5k or so also. If I shift quickly into 2nd without bringing the RPM's up much in 1st, it goes in smooth.

8. Mar 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    pickupchic

pickupchic New Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4x4, SR5, 4 cyl, 5 spd mt
    I have the same set up - no issues whatsoever unless we reference the down shift... i save my truck the effort and avoid 2nd to 1st unless I am slowed near to point of stopping.

9. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    z33tec

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Just as an update, the temperature is up in the 50's now and the issue has vanished. Maybe I was trying to shift too quickly when it was freezing out and the tranny fluid was too thick. Who knows.

10. Mar 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    This was a fluid issue...

Redline helps out big time. all my cars use Redline fluid for the tranny and rear diffs.
    There is not better fluid around..

11. Mar 6, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    My '08 is the same way, but it does it a little from 2-3 also. I've had the dealership "look into it" twice now when I've been in for oil changes, and they simply say it's "normal".

12. Mar 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    02TACO1984

02TACO1984 Active Member

Member:
    lewiston,Maine
    3inch sus lift gibson exhaust k&n filter
    i agree bring it back to the dealer they should take care of it.

13. Mar 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Yeah that dosent sound right! clunky is one thing. you could have a sycnro issue?

14. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    I was looking for a thread like this. 06 with 53000 miles every gear is fine but second. I tried different rpms and still the engagement is rough with a weird clunk noise and slight rattle. I have tried to feather the clutch and it still seems rough. I bought an extended warranty for 100k. how do I make sure they diagnose the problem correctly as one thread noted maybe my synchros are out of line. It would be very easy for them to say its normal so they dont have to pay to fix it. I love my truck but damn that second gear all to hell.

15. Oct 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    PR45

PR45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Same here, first to second usually "almost" grinds, but I'm getting used to it....

16. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    yeah i got this prob 2....

i don't grind but sometimes if im lazy and not paying attention ill miss it completley...lol

it feels as if it just dosen't like second lol

but yeah i with you when i downshift i dont have any problem...just from 1st to 2nd upshift.

17. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    In my experience, anyone I know that drives a manual transmission, from any brand, has this complaint in one form or another after owning the vehicle for awhile. I think that people get lazy / complacent with their shifting, and don't push the clutch firmly to the floor after driving the same vehicle for any period of time.

18. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    its only from 1st to 2nd upshift and i pressed the clutch to the floor...its not horrible but its a little rough...

19. Nov 20, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    I want to bump this and ask if Redline MT-90 is still the best fluid for our 5-spd transmissions.

I just did a full Redline gear oil swap, Transmission, Transfer case, front and rear diffs too!

Well my second gear seems clunky at times,

I’m just wondering what the deal is with the 2nd gear. My reasoning is if it was an actual mechanical problem with syncros then the downshift would make noise too right?

Well the 3rd to 2nd is smooth as can be. The Redline made everything smoother for sure, especially the shifts to 3rd, 4th and 5th.

I’m still wondering what is the deal with the 2nd gear from 1st though? I’ve tried low rpms, high rpms, it seems when cold but I’ll let the engine warm up the transmission is still cold because it’s not being “churned” if I take 1st gear pretty high like 4K or higher it’ll get into 2nd a little easier but not smooth!

Anyone have any knowledge on what’s going on.

BTW, I’m 43, have had multiple manual transmissions and none have behaved like this one. I’ve worked in the auto industry for 18 years in service so I’m familiar with how things should work.

The dealer has told me it’s just persnickety when cold, I purchased it new from them and they have checked it twice when under warranty and said it was normal.

20. Nov 20, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    When I had my 2008 2.7 5 speed I tried the MT90 and didn’t notice any improvement. The shifts were just as clunky as when it was new. I was used to it and just accepted that this transmission is not a smooth shifter.

Products Discussed in

To Top