4cyl over 6cyl, any regrets?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
ramirezsergio63 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sergio
ramirezsergio63's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
I like that color a lot!
Yeah, i like it too, its rare here where i live, i believe no one else has the same color as mine in my area all i see are red, blue, white, black tacos
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the 4 cyl for 2 reasons. #1 It's all Toyota offers in the base truck and #2 it's really all the engine I need. The 2.7L with the manual tranny is the perfect combo for my style. I really wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Mama didn't raise no fool
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Travis
slaphappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
I bought the 4 cyl for 2 reasons. #1 It's all Toyota offers in the base truck and #2 it's really all the engine I need. The 2.7L a with the manual tranny is the perfect combo for my style. I really wouldn't want it any other way.
Agreed. No sense in shelling out the extra $$ for a 6cyl considering my needs.

And the statement in your sig is oh so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
I stepped down from th v6 to the 4 cylinder and I love my truck, when buying my truck I originally planned on a 2013 sr5 double cab v6, then realized I could get a Texas edition double cab 4 cylinder for less, drove it and was sold. Perfect for my needs! Plus It makes me feel a little unique have a 2013 4 banger double cab, all the ones I see are always v6
I've seen the Texas Ed. on here, what exactly is it?

Haha yeah us double cab 4cyl's are unique, until people start to catch on that is!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Comptroller
Icewatersteam is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy gunner, OIF III
Icewatersteam's Tacoma Gallery
I considered trading my RC manual in for a V6 AC, but I would have missed the wheelbase and the light front end too much. I drive bigger loaded trucks at work, and this is my little ninja. I can haul a girlfriend, some camping gear, and a dead buck up in the hills, whenever. And I love conting on a 400+ mile tank. Good enough for me. I like having the right tool for the job. It's perfect for moving furniture and stuff, because it will wiggle in tight spots, and can handle most usual furniture just fine, too. The speed thing just keeps me out of trouble.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Have never regretted the 4 cyl decision. Even with a 1000 lb payload it still pulls BIG hills just fine. In May I went to Arkansas from KC and the BIG hills between Springfield and Branson on US 65, I never had to downshift below 4th to maintain 65 to 70 MPH up the hills. And I was not even using full throttle. Got 25.5 MPG on that trip both going and coming back. Love my 4cyl Taco.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak to the second generation part but when I was looking for a first generation Tacoma a 4 cylinder was mandatory for me. I haven't regretted that decision at all. The V-6 may make more power but that 2.7L 4cyl makes more than enough power and uses less gas to do it!
There's no doubt that the V-6 may be a little quicker on the bottom end and have a little edge at highway speeds but the 4 cylinder will get the job done. The bottom line for me is that it is a truck; if I wanted a sports car I would have purchased one. After seeing the old 22R engines go 300K + miles and take abuse doing it, I was convinced that Toyota knows how to build an inline 4.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #27
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Have never regretted the 4 cyl decision. Even with a 1000 lb payload it still pulls BIG hills just fine. In May I went to Arkansas from KC and the BIG hills between Springfield and Branson on US 65, I never had to downshift below 4th to maintain 65 to 70 MPH up the hills. And I was not even using full throttle. Got 25.5 MPG on that trip both going and coming back. Love my 4cyl Taco.
That's awesome man, I know about those hills up in northwest Arkansas for sure! I'm from Arkansas and have made several trips up that way.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
Fletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura about
Name: John 14:6
Fletch's Tacoma Gallery
nope, not one regret. it's all about the mpg's. v6 mpgs are so bad from what i see in the forums that you might as well get a tundra...but then where does it end?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I lost 2 MPG going from the 4 to the 6, but it's worth it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #30
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
Only when going up a big hill and I want to pass someone, other then that, no.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
I lost 2 MPG going from the 4 to the 6, but it's worth it.
Why? Why worth it I mean?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
nope, not one regret. it's all about the mpg's. v6 mpgs are so bad from what i see in the forums that you might as well get a tundra...but then where does it end?
Tacomas look wayyy better than Tundras. Tundra wouldn't be my first choice for a fullsize pickup.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
My 4cyl is fine. Getting 23 mpg is nice.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
My 4cyl is fine. Getting 23 mpg is nice.
Definitely! I could probably push out a few more mpg's myself if I had a 5spd!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
I have the opposite problem. I have a double-cab V6 and I constantly lust after 4 banger regular cabs. I have never liked fancy shit. Could not find a decent used regular cab 4X4 stick shift in decent shape in a 1000 mile radius. Woulda had to finance to get a new regular cab 4X4.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #36
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to go against the grain a bit and say I regret not getting a v6 a lil bit. My biggest problem is when on the highway or going over the mountain I really gotta mash the pedal to get the truck going. I do have a auto but it feels like I lack a bit of power, plus I really want some armor and don't know how much added weight the truck can handle. overall I do love my truck and plan on keeping it till it dies. Just wish they made a v6 reg cab.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #37

I don't have any mountains down here to worry about, but I could see how an automatic 4cyl combo would get old rather quickly living in the mountains/hills.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2010 4cyl and super appreciate the mpg difference from my brothers v6 (22 vs 17, 29% better!). I just wish they made a 4cyl 5 speed double cab short bed.

I will admit it was a little low on power going over the Sierras. If I drove at 7500 feet elevation often I would probably regret it. Good thing I live near sea level.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I have the 2010 4cyl and super appreciate the mpg difference from my brothers v6 (22 vs 17, 29% better!). I just wish they made a 4cyl 5 speed double cab short bed.

I will admit it was a little low on power going over the Sierras. If I drove at 7500 feet elevation often I would probably regret it. Good thing I live near sea level.
5spd 4cyl DCSB would be a great option to offer! Especially for those who think the 2.7l is underpowered for a DC.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #40
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
I don't have any mountains down here to worry about, but I could see how an automatic 4cyl combo would get old rather quickly living in the mountains/hills.
I think it's fine as long as I'm not pulling anything. With just the weight of the truck I have no problem getting a constant acceleration up a grade.

This is a test I did. It was up a steep winding mountain road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma
I've got an auto so I'm at a disadvantage. My local small mountain is kind of steep. It's still a mountain per the park service. My guess it climbs at least 1600 feet at a heavy grade.

I climbed it as fast as I "could carefully" without driving off a cliff to see how an auto could go up and over a mountain. My ears popped like crazy.

Driving with this post in mind I stayed no more than 2200 RPMs, constantly accelerating uphill because I needed to with all my braking and my ears popping. My truck was empty, unloaded, and not pulling a load which it usually has at least one going against it.

My RPMs are exaggerated as I was having to constantly lower my expectation of speed a little so I didn't go off the cliff. I was usually crapping my pants on the brakes.

Short story long, a 2.7 can accelerate nicely up a grade and still maintain an economical RPM IMHO. As long as I just had my foot maybe less than an inch pressing the accelerator my TCM would gear me down actually, and I'd accelerate.

I've tasked it pulling a load before for a longer period and it was different. I think I'll do it again being more controlled.
At highway speeds on steep inclines you can keep it around 2500 RPM if you're taking it easy. If you want to maintain 70 or 80 though it's going to be more like 3300 RPM or so.

It's phenomenally better than the V6 Pathfinder I had. It never fell below 4500 RPM trying to go up the Smokey Mountains. It was usually revving higher. I thought it was going to blow up.