Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl over 6cyl, any regrets?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
I have the regular cab. The 4 cylinder is easily enough. Double cab or big towing would possibly be a different story.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
4 banger regular cab auto and love it. 22-23mpg city is good by me..much better than my Chevy Colorado 4 banger 16mpg. Even with the added weight of 4wd in the Chevy that still sucked.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
Mama didn't raise no fool
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Travis
slaphappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
I have the regular cab. The 4 cylinder is easily enough. Double cab or big towing would possibly be a different story.
Never driven a 4cyl regular cab but I bet the 4cyl double cab would surprise a lot of people as far as performance and daily drivability..
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #44
Jimbos13 is on a distinguished road
Name: James
Jimbos13's Tacoma Gallery
Love my 4cyl. 2011 AC 4x4. Power is great for my needs especially with the 5 speed. I also tow a 17 foot whaler around town (although not very far) and it does great!!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
Why? Why worth it I mean?
Like I said earlier, I wanted the extra towing capacity of the V6. I also went to an automatic, which makes the daily commute much more tolerable. A 4 / auto just wouldn't have cut it for what I wanted.

With the V6 / auto combo getting on the freeway is a breeze, and although I've outgrown my go-fast days it's nice to be able to get away from the idiots if I need to.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets ever, the 2.7L is a marvel of durability and reliability.

But I use this rather bloated small truck for what Toyota first made trucks for. They weren't 4x4, or street racers. Trim it 500 lbs and I'd like it even better.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
DylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dylan
DylansBase's Tacoma Gallery
I sometimes wish i would've gone with a 4cyl with these california gas prices fluctuating daily.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #48
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

But I use this rather bloated small truck for what Toyota first made trucks for. They weren't 4x4, or street racers. Trim it 500 lbs and I'd like it even better.
I like what you're saying, but that's one of the finer points of the Tacoma..the fact that they are so versatile! People have made awesome cross-country touring vehicles out of them, off-road rigs, commuter vehicles, and everything in-between.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #49
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Couldn't agree more. A simple, efficient machine.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
My current Tacoma is the Best overall vehicle I have owned in 43 years of driving. I owned a 1991 Toyota ExtraCab pickup that I bought new. It was a great vehicle for short distance driving. For anything more than 50 miles is was a torture rack, with its rough suspension, horrible seats, and lack of torque, and ultra low gearing.

My 2008 is a true all day vehicle. The seats are comfortable and supportive, the engine is quiet at freeway speeds, will haul a 1000 lb + of people, luggage and stuff in the bed, without the suspension sagging and the nose pointing upward, and it delivers 22 to 25 MPG doing it. Whenever I have asked it to perform as a truck it has never disappointed me. Plus after 5 years NOTHING has broke.(wood being knocked on). My only request would have been that the access cabs door would not rattle so much and to have less wind noise around them. This is a highly adaptive vehicle, as Tc3 said.

I intend to drive this truck till Toyota redesigns it, and has had 3 or 4 years for the bugs to be worked out.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #51
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2004 Double Cab 2.7L and trying to pull a 2,400 lb. popup camper stinks (yes, I said 2,400)... I refuse to go anywhere with a long climb (I live in the mountains), I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 6 cylinder...
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
I have a 2004 Double Cab 2.7L and trying to pull a 2,400 lb. popup camper stinks (yes, I said 2,400)... I refuse to go anywhere with a long climb (I live in the mountains), I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 6 cylinder...
Buy a lighter camper! No, but seriously, if I lived in the mountains I would definitely at least have to have a 5spd 4cyl if I didn't get a 6cyl from the get-go..
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #53
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
My only request would have been that the access cabs door would not rattle so much and to have less wiThis is a highly adaptive vehicle, as Tc3 said.
I've heard that complaint from others. So far the wind noise on mine is not bad at all, and only on really rough roads do I hear a rattle from the driver's side access door. But, mine is also only a year old, so my time may be coming as it ages.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
I've heard that complaint from others. So far the wind noise on mine is not bad at all, and only on really rough roads do I hear a rattle from the driver's side access door. But, mine is also only a year old, so my time may be coming as it ages.
I wonder why the access doors are more noisy? Is it just really hard to perfect the seal between the big door & little door?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #55

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread btw. This is my first real thread on TW!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #56

Sometimes I just drool over 4cyl 5spd Regular Cab 4wd's
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
Ninjayota will become famous soon enoughNinjayota will become famous soon enough
Ninjayota's Tacoma Gallery
I don't regret mine, but I'd like to see a v6 option for the regular cab. When I first started researching the regular cab 4x4s everyone said the 4cyl sucked but after buying one I like it. It's amazing how many people still think that more power means better offroading. More power does have its advantages, but if you're smart you can do the same in a 4cyl.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjayota View Post
I don't regret mine, but I'd like to see a v6 option for the regular cab. When I first started researching the regular cab 4x4s everyone said the 4cyl sucked but after buying one I like it. It's amazing how many people still think that more power means better offroading. More power does have its advantages, but if you're smart you can do the same in a 4cyl.
Reg cab 4cyl 4x4s are sweet.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #59
124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice
124x4tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4 cylinder 5speed 4x4 Tacoma. I enjoy it, great mpg for a truck. I wish it had a little more power merging and going up hill. Otherwise a great truck.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #60
Ninjayota will become famous soon enoughNinjayota will become famous soon enough
Ninjayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
Reg cab 4cyl 4x4s are sweet.
Yes they are. I've got the wheelbase similar to a jeep and a bed when I need it.