Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl over 6cyl, any regrets?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #81
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 2012 RC MT 4x4,

But honestly I am going to look at and hopefully test drive a 2013 RC Auto tomorrow morning before I head into work,

I have always loved the MT trucks, but here lately with my 5th gear noise that Toyota is telling me is just part of the tranny, every three weeks it's a trip to the dealer to lube something under the truck that only squeaks when the engine is running and your operating the clutch pedal, and me wanting factory buckets but still a RC, not an AC or DC, I may be trading,

I work for a cell phone company so having integrated BT is a nice touch also, The truck they have is identical to mine. Color and all, just a different transmission, They do have a DCSB V6 Auto, but I am pretty sure I couldn't afford those payments, I have this amount set in my mind and if there is any way they can be there on the V6 I may go for it,

We will see.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #82
Curt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to behold
Army: Lab Tech @Winn Army Community Hospital
Name: Curtis
Curt7088's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased an 08 ac 4x4 mt in '12. It is pretty good, but it is underpowered it wasn't too bad till I put the 255/85/16s on it. When I'm off road I have to be in 4lo otherwise I can't get through anything. I went to hard rock off road park this past Saturday an it pretty much stayed in 4lo an still had to milk it a little on those steep hill climbs. And once i put the tires on it the fuel benefits went down the drain. I get 16 mpgs round the great city of Jacksonville fl. Not to complain too much I mean it could be worse... I could be driving a ford ranger or even worse a Chevy Colorado.... Lol no lie I had a 4cyl. Colorado my 2wd worst truck ever... But any who I love my taco don't get me wrong. It will however get a supercharger and I really want to try to fit a 6spd mt on it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #83
watacomaguy is on a distinguished road
watacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 is a very good engine. I have an automatic and it's powerful enough for what I do. Mostly driving around. I do manually shift it a lot to get good performance from it.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #84
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Regret every second of it.

Yup, I'll be a buzzkill. I hate mine, wish everyday I drive it I bought the V6. Clutch is too weak and so if the engine. I live in Vermont, wasn't as bad when I was in college down in Massachusetts but the first week home I wish I had more power.

Bought a new 4 wheeler this spring, had it on the trailer running up 153 from Rupert back home to Clarendon, speed limit was 50 going up a hill, started at 50 in 4th, dropped to 3rd, got down to 35, shifted to 2nd, got down to 20mph, started swearing. So did the prius behind me.

Trying to buy a house so I'm stuck with the truck, have to put a clutch in in the next few weeks. 75,000 miles. Never knew what clutch smoke smelled like till this truck, now I know it well. Truck's just too heavy for the clutch.

Sorry to sound like I'm just here to bash on it, but figured another opinion was fair. Wish I bought the V6. Had 3 Toyotas, this ones my last as soon as I can afford it. Good luck.

*edit: Also can't get better than 17mpg. lol
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #85
Speck is on a distinguished road
Speck's Tacoma Gallery
I am happy with it.

With 4x4 and a camper shell, I still get 20 combined mpg with a/c on half the time.

It isn't a huge engine, obviously, so it requires careful attention to shift points, especially while towing. I rarely go above 2500 rpm. I also like the sound and feel of inline engines.

The one time it was underpowered was when I was moving and had the bed completely full, towing a boat that also had stuff in it, a kayak on top, a rocket box on top, and the cab full trying to go up a steep driveway. It was so underpowered it could barely go without stalling out. I eventually got out by revving to 4000 or so and then taking off. And I was greeted by the clutch odor of course...

I also pulled an F150 out of soft sand that had its back half sitting on the frame.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #86
gatnilab will become famous soon enoughgatnilab will become famous soon enough

Name: Patrick
gatnilab's Tacoma Gallery
My only regret is letting my wife drive my Tacoma. Now she love it and I barely use it cause she wanted to drive it more than me . Until her car get here then I won't get my truck anytime soon....
Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #87
DSMHokie is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
DSMHokie's Tacoma Gallery
I came from a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX that would haul ass and went to a 4 cylinder. No regrets here because I get better highway MPG's now than my WRX... However the turbo would kick in on the interstate when traveling at speeds above 75 mph.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #88
my71chevynova is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
my71chevynova's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 4cyl but will admit there are occasions where i would love a V6. On the other hand I've taken my truck to Idaho twice at 12hrs each way, Phoenix at 12 each way, and to SoCal at 6-7 each way and the MPG was awesome. I pulled way over what i expected on the way to AZ.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #89
packrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pack
packrobottom's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like I drove a different truck compared to others in this thread. I test drove the 4 cyl friday. I had a 2010 v6 access cab I sold thur for reference. The acceleration on the 2014 4cyl was completely gutless in comparison. If I ever wanted to get into a slot or gun it to get around something with that truck I wouldn't be able too. So I got the v6 double cab it's a night and day difference. I already drive like and old lady. in that 4cyl I would have been dangerous.

I test drove 2 4cyls an access cab and a double cab. They were both underpowered.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #90
Tinybear is on a distinguished road
Tinybear's Tacoma Gallery
I came from an Eco Boost Ford F150. Was a great truck but more than I needed and wanted something cheaper to run, better off road and a more manageable size for every day use. I would have bought another Ford Ranger (had three and LOVED them) but ford discontinued them.

So I looked at a few smaller trucks and decided on my 2012 AC Tacoma 4x4 with the 4cyl 5 speed and SR5 package. And now after 2 years I could not be happier. 20mpg avg and it does everything I need. It hauls my motorcycles with ease when needed and managed the 4000lbs of my tools and tool box to my new job without issue.

It's adequate bordering on low power. But it's done everything I ask of it. It's super easy to work on. It's comfy and easy to live with and is pretty damn capable off the beaten path.

If I was at all concerned with the power out put of the 4cyl. I would have stuck with my F150 and not looked at the mid or compact truck market.

Want a good truck for hauling get a full size. There just as good on fuel and far far better at hauling. In fact if I could not have got a 4cyl Tacoma I would not have bought a Tacoma I'd have stuck with the F150.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #91
cnw126 is on a distinguished road
cnw126's Tacoma Gallery
I have 8000 miles on my truck thus far and I have been pleased with the power of the 4 cylinder. I recently moved and rented a uhaul 6X12 trailer (1920 lbs empty), it was the first time I towed with the truck. I am not sure of the exact weight I was towing with the trailer full but it was definitely over 3000 lbs towing weight. The truck was working hard to pull it but it did it without any problems. I was able to drive with traffic on the interstate but I would have to use 4th gear going up the rolling hills of eastern MD (just over 3000 RPM at 65 mph).

Unloaded, the truck is not fast by any stretch but I have no problems with traffic, passing, hills... It is a very capable vehicle and I am happy I got the 4 cylinder.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #92
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
You've just described torque.

Not the ability to accelerate quickly... but the ability to pull a load.

Greg
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #93
Off the Meds Again...
wgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwgreenlee1021 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wgreenlee1021's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatnilab View Post
My only regret is letting my wife drive my Tacoma. Now she love it and I barely use it cause she wanted to drive it more than me . Until her car get here then I won't get my truck anytime soon....

lol
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #94
Gumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGumby2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Military Police
Name: Mike
Gumby2012's Tacoma Gallery
25.2 MPG average over the last 26k miles....no regrets at all
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #95
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets getting the 2.7, but also I knew exactly how it would be used 98% of the time.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #96
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people seem to be under the misconception that an engine should not rev up. Like it's gonna blow up if it goes over 2500rpm. I drive the crap out of mine. That's how 4 cylinders have always made power is by turning rpms. I feel the engine is very adequate for my needs. But if you expect it to run at 2000rpms all the time like a V-8...it won't. But she will churn up and get ya there and you'll get good mileage in the process.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #97
madrider is on a distinguished road
madrider's Tacoma Gallery
i4 for light sport

Great discussion, I like reading the opinions!
I have the I4 DC auto prerunner, I was looking for a fuel efficient truck for commuting, light hauling of surf boards and bikes, and some infrequent heavier hauling. The truck is great, and I get great mileage 20+ mpg. Recently I do wish I had more power without the v6 ~16mpg. I've been thinking about headers or a supercharger, but don't want to lose the mpg's.
In my opinion, If you're going to use it for light sport and mpg is important to you, the i4 is great. if you're going to push it off-road and a lot of mountain driving (me), and mpg is not critical, I would suggest the v6.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #98
eray is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shederay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation electricians mate, USS Enterprise
Name: Eric
eray's Tacoma Gallery
No, I use something else when I need more than 4 cyl.

4cyl over 6cyl, any regrets?-photo-1-2-.jpg
Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #99
Chaser88 is on a distinguished road
Chaser88's Tacoma Gallery
I'm possibly looking at getting a single cab in the near future. Couple questions.

How do people find the 4cyl engine when it is weigh'd down with bumpers, sliders, RTT, etc? Does the awesome MPG just go out the window? I could only imagine with all that extra weight the amount of power the 4cyl is producing may be very minimal? Anybody have experience with it with added weight?

Also anyone with a 4cyl 1st gen have any input on this?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #100
AKA Threadkiller
BKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
BKill's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets at all. Last week I drove my 2.7/Auto AC from central Texas to Denver pulling a U-Haul trailer loaded with furniture for my son. It had to work a little pulling some of the hills, but did great. Got 17.1, 17.6, and 17.4. I'm pleased as punch.