Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder with exhaust ?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Slick8810 has a spectacular aura aboutSlick8810 has a spectacular aura about
Slick8810's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder with exhaust ?

Whats up. Im new to the site and I was wondering what everyone thinks about putting exhaust on a 4 cylinder engine. I have a 01 Tacoma prerunner with the 2.7l. Just curious what everyone thinks. Im thinking about it but leaning more towards no.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
The stock Toyota exhaust is pretty efficient. Most people change the exhaust to get a different sound. Me? I like it quiet.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw!... there is a muffler pole in the performace section i believe... stock exhausts are winning right now but alot of guys have aftermarket exhausts.... check it out man...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
KYREBEL is on a distinguished road
KYREBEL's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 99' prerunner with the 2.7 automatic, ive got a single in dual out 40 series flowmaster with big bore tips and believe it or not it sounds nothing at all like a ricer it actually sounds really good
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Gibson system, sounds pretty good. But I like my open downpipe even more!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
Any 4-banger with a loud muffler is going to sound ricey. As long as you know that and dont mind, I say go for the loud exhaust.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
Any 4-banger with a loud muffler is going to sound ricey. As long as you know that and dont mind, I say go for the loud exhaust.
yeah ive come to terms that the 4cyl is always going to sound like a 4cyl... id like to have a louder than stock exhaust but i dont want it to be LOUD.... and i want to keep the deepest tone possible... im thinking the flowmaster 50 series may even be louder than i want... although i have no experience with it... ive had glass packs and straight pipes on my saturn and it sounded good... but i dont want that sound for my truck.... i want to be able to hear my exhaust but i dont want the cops to hear it 5 blocks away in the middle of the night... small town with asshole cops...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not true. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkwjhTklkuY

It depends on the muffler.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
KYREBEL is on a distinguished road
KYREBEL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
honestly, mine doesnt sound like a ricer with my 40 series duals
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
I had my friend cut the muffler off and weld a straight pipe on...It sounds good, it was free, but it is loud...sorry...extremely loud when I'm in second and I hit the gas hard.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
ELKAHOLIC is on a distinguished road

ELKAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
I had a magnaflo put on at about 2000 miles I did it for the hope of milage increase and power. I had no idea it would effect the sound as much as it did through 1st ,2nd ,and 3rd I did not mind the sound but in 4th and 5th it drove me nuts it sounded like there was a bumble bee flying next to my ear. the next week I put the stock one back on now it sounds like a new truck again not a beater. they gave me half my money back so it only ended up costing me 50 bucks glad I have a buddy that owns a muffler shop.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
no_werries will become famous soon enough

no_werries's Tacoma Gallery
Gutted the cats, swapped in 2 1/2" pipe with a 18" magnaflo muffler, and the truck sounds mean, definately not ricey, and just wait till the JBA headers come in!