Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

cruise control

Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
bill357 is on a distinguished road
bill357's Tacoma Gallery
cruise control

I have a 2011 excab with a 2.7 liter motor and 4 speed transmission.
when I use the cruise it accelerates wildly at the slightest incline. Is this normal?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Member
chunt5 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Name: chuck
chunt5's Tacoma Gallery
Mine maintains the set speed just fine. It accelerates on inclines but just enough to maintain the set speed.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
bill357's Tacoma Gallery
when mine accelerates it climbs to 3000 -5000 rpm.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
It will first unlock the torque convertor, then downshift to 3rd if it needs more power to maintain speed up an incline. That causes the RPM's to go up, but the speed should remain fairly constant. That's how mine works anyway.

I will usually kick off the cruise control when I sense it is about to downshift and let it lose a couple mph rather downshift to help mileage.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
bill357's Tacoma Gallery
so the rapid climb in rpm is normal?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill357 View Post
so the rapid climb in rpm is normal?
Yes, it is downshifting from 4th to 3rd.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
bill357's Tacoma Gallery
will this harm the engine? It maintains speed just fine but the rpm surge scares ya.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
wont hurt, other than gas mileage
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
will this harm the engine? It maintains speed just fine but the rpm surge scares ya.
same here. That's why I just turn off the cruise control when going up a hill then turn it back on when on top of the hill or back to flat grounds.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's the same. The issue is that the CC doesn't 'try' hard enough early enough when starting up a hill. Many times the truck can climb in high, but the cruise waits so long while loosing speed that it then has to down shift. Then it over speeds, lets way off the throttle, upshifts and starts all over again with the cycle. I will usually start pressing the accelerator as the hill starts and let up slowly so the speed will stabilize then it's cool and stays in high with the converter locked. If I suspect the hill to be too much for that I'll manually put it in 3 then the converter stays locked and the CC can manage better. The other option I've found is to give a few taps on the accelerate button as it starts up a hill to force it early and once I feel the load, speed, and throttle is stabilized I tap it back down.

The easy fix is to turn it off as previously stated, but I'm a CC junkie so I learn how to help it work instead so it can proceed with the hill and the rest of the drive. I'd drive by button full time if I could get everyone else on the road to drive a steady damn speed.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
1goindiesel is on a distinguished road
1goindiesel's Tacoma Gallery
My "cruise" is attached to my right hip. Love my simple little Taco but Cruise and pause wipers would be great.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goindiesel View Post
My "cruise" is attached to my right hip. Love my simple little Taco but Cruise and pause wipers would be great.
I paid quite a bit extra to have it added in when I bought my little 5 speed base Taco. I had them put it in when I bought it at the dealership because I'm not the best researcher. Definitely look into adding it, if you're smart, you'll spend a lot less money on it than I did.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
1goindiesel is on a distinguished road
1goindiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have my attention. Literally, all this little rig needs is cruise and delay wipers. It is perfect for what I use it for. Coming out of two competitors vehicles immediately before it, I have a great appreciation for its basic goodness.

Pray tell what the dealer charged you...???
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have my attention. Literally, all this little rig needs is cruise and delay wipers. It is perfect for what I use it for. Coming out of two competitors vehicles immediately before it, I have a great appreciation for its basic goodness.

Pray tell what the dealer charged you...???
I saw somewhere here some one had put cruise control in their truck for under $200 and that it's fairly simple. I can't remember the exact amount the dealership charged me but it was under $1,000 but over $500.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The power of the I4 is frightening for sure.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
My 6 cyl. is fine but a Camery I had would come close to matting it climbing hills when it got to speed it leveled out never went more then a couple MPH over the set but it was hell bent to climb the hills maybe being a 4 they put more throttle to it. Both were stick shift.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.7 spd manual and I didnt know it could accelerate on an incline ... But to answer your question I dont have that problem but mines a manual.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise is easy to add and probably just over $100 if you shop online. I bought the stuff from the dealer at about $130 (not including the new cover) because I was in a hurry. You need the switch, a wire, two screws, and a new plastic cover for the right side of the steering wheel with a hole in it for the switch. First--Take the two side covers off. They were hard to figure out at first, this'll help. The covers are kinda D shaped and where you wanna pop it is right in the center of the flat part which is toward the rear of the truck. Use a thin tipped screwdriver and push it in the center of the flat portion of the cover and pry off, the cover will now pull out and off. Once you see the little locking tab you'll get why you start there. Do the one on the right first so you can practice on the one you're tossing out. There's a torx T30 under each of those covers, remove them and that lets the horn pad/airbag unit pull right off. Remove the existing wire that's in there and replace it with the new one. Install the switch with the two screws you bought (phillips head I think) and plug in the wire. Reinstall the horn pad and side covers. Turn the key on and press the cruise power button and you should see the green light on the dash light up.
I didn't get the new cover and just plan to drill mine, but since I can't see it from the driver's seat I always forget, I'll go scope it out now that it's on my mind. I think I spent all of 5 minutes working on it, but I'm a seasoned mechanic. I'd guess 10-15 minutes for an average weekend wrencher and maybe 20 for a total novice. Beats the heck out of $500+ to have a dealer do it!!