Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Spark plug question!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
H-Dogg is on a distinguished road
H-Dogg's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plug question!

ok, so I pulled the spark plugs out of my new 2002 taco with 62000 miles just to see what things looked like and it had burn marks on the side of the insulator with a small about of white ash on the electrode. I'm not sure what this means and my brother-in-law said that the spark could be jumping to the piston instead of the electrode. Is that common? If it is how would it be fixed? And if that's not the problem what does it mean? Thanks for any help given!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Pics would surely help.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
H-Dogg's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics I hope they help!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Got this explanation by google-ing:

A white colored plug is caused by engine overheating. Failure to repair this engine will result in severe engine damage. Common causes for this are:

Incorrect spark plug (too hot heat range).

Low octane fuel.

Timing is not set properly.

Cooling problems, (dirty cylinder fins, no or low water if water cooled, low or no engine oil).

Carburetor air/fuel mixture is too lean (too much air).

Leaking crankshaft seals, no oil, base or head gasket leaks, or crankcase leaks on two stroke engines.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks odd to me. Should be toasty brown or whitish. Looks like it was carboned up due to all the black on it. Then it started running right and the carbon burnt off.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What engine did these come out of??
Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't look like iridium, hope it came from v6. Did gen 1 2.7ls come with iridium? Doesn't look all that crazy to me, just like valve seals letting a little oil in that is carboning up the plug a bit.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Doesn't look like iridium, hope it came from v6. Did gen 1 2.7ls come with iridium? Doesn't look all that crazy to me, just like valve seals letting a little oil in that is carboning up the plug a bit.
X2. The 1st gen 2.7 used a standard copper plug.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
H-Dogg's Tacoma Gallery
These are the v-power NGK spark plugs that the 2.7L come stock with.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

Try this, It looks O.K. from what I can tell from the picture