Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangers and big builds

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
4 Bangers and big builds

So, I'm at the point now where the mods I have planned are all expensive and heavy. Right now I'm considering a front plate bumper (maybe ATO or Relentless in steel), Sliders, and an OME lift. The lift will obviously add little to no weight, but the bumper and sliders would come out to what, 250 lbs? My 4 banger with an auto tends to not like steep hills already.

What I don't know is whether I should go for a re-gear or a custom header. Or both, but that sounds pricey. What would be my better long term option?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
save up, re-gear and never look back, im running 35's and 4.88s feels like stock. Although I am a 5speed
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. You won't get enough pull with a header. Gearing will always offer enough leverage to compensate for a lack of power.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Kilo Sierra is on a distinguished road
Kilo Sierra's Tacoma Gallery
gears

Had them all...Mild to wild. Jeeps, Landcruisers, full size P/U's...All in various forms of tweek and livery.

My current is a 4 cyl R/C w/LCE header and I have removed the secondary filter.

I am sensitive to how this truck drives, as I "commute" in and out of Alaska via Canada as I visit my family/friends, and indulge in various hunting opportunities.

Where I find myself in the western USA requires my negotiating unimproved and somewhat primitive roadbeds. Gearing and traction have, for me, proven to be a higher priority than anything else.

While recovery gear only needs to be used once to justify expense, I once made the mistake of choosing a winch and mount of over tires/gears and it cost me several days, bodywork, and a lot of heartburn that could have been avoided...After I fixed everything I coughed up bucks for tires and gears, and lived happily ever after....With the exception of hearing about it endlessly.

I'll be gentle with the suspension, just a little bit of lift/clearance but focusing on shocks. An air locker, really good tires, .456 gears, and perhaps Tooter's world famous torque geni intake spacer prior to my adding the weight of bumper(s) and a winch.

In the past I have spent a lot on money on bling as a opposed to what I really needed...Now I have the funds, but I am focused on the necessary...WTF?

ks
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Try your best to keep the weight off . Look into aluminum armor too.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Longo118 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Engine man
Longo118's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Try your best to keep the weight off . Look into aluminum armor too.
Not sure what OPs main reason for armor is, but I know the armor on my Tacoma is needed to protect against rocks, tree stumps and other extremely hard surfaces while offroading. I know aluminum would never hold up on my truck. I have aftermarket steel skids and they already have some nice gouges and dents in them haha.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Longo118 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Engine man
Longo118's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteupp View Post
save up, re-gear and never look back, im running 35's and 4.88s feels like stock. Although I am a 5speed
I have '06 AC with a ton of weight (aftermarket bumper, bed rack, tow/recovery equip, tool boxs etc) going on 35s once I regear, along with winch and rear bumper. Think 4.88s can support all that weight or should I look into a taller gear? I would like to get back as close as I can to stock power.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longo118 View Post
Not sure what OPs main reason for armor is, but I know the armor on my Tacoma is needed to protect against rocks, tree stumps and other extremely hard surfaces while offroading. I know aluminum would never hold up on my truck. I have aftermarket steel skids and they already have some nice gouges and dents in them haha.
Looking into getting into some mild offroading. Where I live is just miles and miles of woodland and not too far from me is miles of Maine woods that would probably be awesome for back woods exploring/getting away from it all.