LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Winter is coming!!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
Winter is coming!!

Just wondering if anyone plows with their 2.7L? Thinking about putting one on my Reg cab 4x4.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How big of an area are you looking to plow? From what I read, plowing greatly shortens transmission life regardless of how powerful the engine is - all the forward and reverse shifting greatly increases the duty cycle on the transmission.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #3

Just my driveway, maybe my neighbors driveway. I am more worried about springs and front end components. Anyone have any issues with theirs? I have a manual so I am not really all that worried. I won't be slamming into bankings and quickly shifting from first to reverse and vice versa.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
dcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dcdlexmass's Tacoma Gallery
Not an issue .... I'm pushing a 7'-6" Sno-Way unit with no issues.
Just be sure to keep it in 4WD low and use common sense.
Plow with the storm, don't let heavy snow pile up (especially the wet stuff) .... Any hard bank slamming, quick forward/reversal shifting will destroy almost any vehicle.

They are very worthy of clearing small driveways and lots.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdlexmass View Post
Not an issue .... I'm pushing a 7'-6" Sno-Way unit with no issues.
Just be sure to keep it in 4WD low and use common sense.
Plow with the storm, don't let heavy snow pile up (especially the wet stuff) .... Any hard bank slamming, quick forward/reversal shifting will destroy almost any vehicle.

They are very worthy of clearing small driveways and lots.
Sounds good man. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
On stock suspension hell no. Run 5100's and eibachs at zero and a full leaf pack in the rear and it will be plenty strong.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
On stock suspension hell no. Run 5100's and eibachs at zero and a full leaf pack in the rear and it will be plenty strong.
The suspension isn't what I'd be worried about unless he plans on traveling with the plow or leaving it on all season. Assuming he'll just hook up to the plow when needed and unhook when done, the stock suspension will be fine. I'd be more concerned about CV's, wheel bearings and increased wear on the clutch. Also, I don't see the need for a full leaf pack for plowing.

As far as suspension goes, the 4 banger is actually better off for plowing (talking about suspension only) since it has the same springs as the V6 and less weight on the front end to begin with.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The suspension isn't what I'd be worried about unless he plans on traveling with the plow or leaving it on all season. Assuming he'll just hook up to the plow when needed and unhook when done, the stock suspension will be fine. I'd be more concerned about CV's, wheel bearings and increased wear on the clutch. Also, I don't see the need for a full leaf pack for plowing.

As far as suspension goes, the 4 banger is actually better off for plowing (talking about suspension only) since it has the same springs as the V6 and less weight on the front end to begin with.
Well for the rear will need a weight ballast to even it out and aid in traction.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Well for the rear will need a weight ballast to even it out and aid in traction.
Yeah, but you don't need a leafpack for that. You'll only need a few hundred lbs for short distance plowing. I'm assuming any plow you'd put on a Tacoma would be relatively narrow and possibly even one of those plastic ones to save weight. 2-300 lbs in the bed would be plenty for plowing a driveway.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yeah, but you don't need a leafpack for that. You'll only need a few hundred lbs for short distance plowing. I'm assuming any plow you'd put on a Tacoma would be relatively narrow and possibly even one of those plastic ones to save weight. 2-300 lbs in the bed would be plenty for plowing a driveway.
The 2011 we have at work has an "upgraded pack" with some yellow shocks in front on idk springs. Sits high. They put 400 in bed and the plow is a MM3 8' blade. Plows like a champ.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
work toy is on a distinguished road
Name: darren
work toy's Tacoma Gallery
I got a 7 foot snow bear on my 08. No prob yet, kind of surprised me how well it pushes snow. Last years big storm we had I had no prob what so ever
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by work toy View Post
I got a 7 foot snow bear on my 08. No prob yet, kind of surprised me how well it pushes snow. Last years big storm we had I had no prob what so ever
on stock suspension? If I leave the plow on, it would only be to work and back (16 miles round trip).
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
work toy is on a distinguished road
Name: darren
work toy's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiack View Post
on stock suspension? If I leave the plow on, it would only be to work and back (16 miles round trip).
Stock front no problem for 3a seasons
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
dcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Timbren bump stops work well and will prevent your front end from dropping excessively during the times your plow blade is mounted. I've used them on my earlier 86' trucks.
I'm actually running bone stock suspension currently with my 04' 4-banger with no issues.
Then again my 7'-6" Sno-Way has a plexi-skin instead of steel so weighs a few lbs. less than some.
Matter of fact my bed is usually empty and don't carry the recommended ballast though will haul a #125 lb. snow blower at times.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I don't plan on plowing but am hoping and praying we actually get snow like we used to here in WNC, at last in my county, lol...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't need a big ole heavy plow. I think the Tacoma's presence alone is a powerful snow deterrent. My dad had it since '07, I've had it for several months, neither of us have ever had snow block us nor a neighbor, NOT ONCE. All those years in Miami and now in L.A., not one single snow bank to contend with ever!

For doing a couple driveways occasionally it should be just fine. If the plow sags the front a lot and you plan to leave it on long periods you may want some booster springs or airbags. For driving around with it, definitely springs and some stiffer shocks. I don't know if coils will take a set when squished, but I've had leaf springs do it (my '07 Taco and '98 Explorer) from having a heavy trailer on.

The other way to get rid of snow is to swap the big heavy plow for a nice little compass and drive with it on "S" 'till you're warm.

Is it that obvious I don't like being cold?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
ColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
ColoradoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
"Winter is coming!!"

LONG LIVE THE NORTH

Summers can last decades and winters a lifetime..

My bad this isn't a Game of Thrones Thread carry on.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

I think I may look into the sno-way plow. seems like the best app for my little pickup.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
If you're plowing "dead-ended" driveways where you end up "back-dragging" ....
Sno-Way plows with the down-pressure circuit is tough to beat.
Although my 7'-6" blade weighs less than #300 lbs., it back-drags just as well as some full-sized 8' all-steel units.
It also straight plows cleaner with the DP circuit energized for clearing up areas that may have been previously packed down.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #20

how much am I looking at for one of the So-Ways? I looked at some sites but never really got a price. May have to wait til next winter.