Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Looking for tuned length long tube headers.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for tuned length long tube headers.

All I'm finding are pretty much mid length around 22" or so. The torque rpm of this motor would like a much longer header and I just want to know if there's one out there. I know the ones being offered improve over stock, but for $500 or whatever they are, I'd like to see something with proper length to get the maximum advantage.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
All I'm finding are pretty much mid length around 22" or so. The torque rpm of this motor would like a much longer header and I just want to know if there's one out there. I know the ones being offered improve over stock, but for $500 or whatever they are, I'd like to see something with proper length to get the maximum advantage.
Hey Donzi,

Have you been able to find anyone who makes long tube headers for the 2.7?

I did a lot of searching and came up empty handed. It's likely because our 4 cylinders aren't exactly high performance screamers so almost no one makes aftermarket performance parts for them.

You could contact a custom header builder. They'd be able to make whatever you want.

For off the shelf parts, there isn't a lot to choose from unless you're willing to cut and weld your exhaust system. If you are, then the sky is the limit for what you want to run.

I went with LCE because it was the best ready-made choice from what's actually available. Stock runners are 17". LCE runners are 22" which is 30% longer. And on the dyno it lowers the torque peak rpms considerably. The runners are also 10% larger in diameter. It's one advantage is that it takes up exactly the same space as the stock header, so there's no cutting or welding necessary. With California's smog laws, it might be nice to have something that's easily reversible when test time rolls around.

Once you cut and weld, that bridge is burned.

Greg
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I searched a lot and no long tubes. Custom would probably run close to 1K, so I may make my own. I think the issue is them being bolt on and with our smog laws I think moving the cat is an issue for getting a CARB EO. To get long tubes and be a bolt on would require a lot of twisty tubes and there may just not be enough room. If I went the custom route I'd take the whole exhaust system off and store it for test day. A bit of a pain, but maybe worth it. Would you be willing to donate or sell cheaply your stock header for me to work off of? I'd have to retain a stocker for smogging. The other option is to fake an EO# onto the custom headers and try to make everything really clean looking to not raise suspicion, but I don't think my fabrication skills are that well honed.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
I searched a lot and no long tubes. Custom would probably run close to 1K, so I may make my own. I think the issue is them being bolt on and with our smog laws I think moving the cat is an issue for getting a CARB EO. To get long tubes and be a bolt on would require a lot of twisty tubes and there may just not be enough room. If I went the custom route I'd take the whole exhaust system off and store it for test day. A bit of a pain, but maybe worth it. Would you be willing to donate or sell cheaply your stock header for me to work off of? I'd have to retain a stocker for smogging.
Man, I'd love to but I'm in exactly the same situation that you're in. I also need to keep my stock header for smog testing. However, there's one for sale for $70 on ebay including the expensive cost of shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-20...000bd2&vxp=mtr

I'm hoping that LCE will eventually get their 2.7 header CARB approved like they did for their Gen1 2.4 header. It passed all of my smog tests with flying colors for a decade, so I never needed to remove it.

Quote:
The other option is to fake an EO# onto the custom headers and try to make everything really clean looking to not raise suspicion, but I don't think my fabrication skills are that well honed.
The number might work as long as the tester doesn't cross reference the number on his computer. They actually did that on my last smog test before I sold the truck. Oddly enough the header's smog compliance was only good for Tacos '99 and older. Mine was a '96.