Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

knocking,rapping and ticking

Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
merlin3 is on a distinguished road
merlin3's Tacoma Gallery
knocking,rapping and ticking

i have a 2012 tacoma with a 2.7. after it sits for a few hours when i start it and drive a few miles it makes a ticking,knocking and rapping noise coming from the motor.this happens in hot or cold weather,i just don't see this motor lasting a long time like i wanted.has anybody had the same problem?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a 2012 2.7. That sounds serious. Had you considered taking it in under warranty for at least a diagnosis? Can you record the sound it makes? I accidently broke the plastic end plug off of my camshaft position actuator, and when I started up the engine, it made a rhythmic tapping sound, so I immediately shut it off and didn't run it again until I replaced the part.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
merlin3's Tacoma Gallery
after a few e-mails to toyota they finally said it was the pistons slapping against the cylinder walls,nice huh.problem is i live on a island and would have to leave it at the dealer when the rep showed up and it does not make the noise all the time.i did call the dealer and the service rep. said a lot of the 4 cylinders make noise and it is normal.i am not buying that,the old ranger i traded in sounded better than my new tacoma.i am stuck with junk.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Was this a brand new vehicle? How many miles on it?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
merlin3's Tacoma Gallery
i have had this problem since new now it has 8400 miles and still making the noise.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Many tacomas do that, both 4cyl and v6; it's the hypereutectic pistons they use. They shrink more than the typical cast aluminum piston when they cool so the clearances have to be wider. Sounds like a diesel when cold, but overall a stronger part. My last truck was annoyingly loud for the first 2 minutes after a cold start.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for that useful information, iroh. I had no idea that symptom even existed as my engine is silent even on cold starts.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Chevy LS motors have been doing it for a several years now. Both my 2002 and 2007 Silverado's had piston slap when cold. It's not just the material they use for the pistons that causes the cold noise condition, they have also reduced the length and size of the piston skirts, which reduces friction, but increases noise because the piston is freer to move around in the cylinder when clearances are greater.

I haven't heard it so far in my 2012 2.7.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
You know for sure what piston slap is if you have a single cylinder motorcycle!