1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trading Tundra for Tacoma?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by bharv88, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    bharv88

bharv88 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, been a while since I've been here (well over a year) but in that time frame I've traded my 2.7 AC 4x4 for a 4.6 Tundra double cab. In all honesty, I regret it almost every day. Thinking of going back to a Taco and a 2.7 because I really liked that truck but got wide eyed for a V8 like an idiot lol. Anyway, I'm actually considering a regular cab this time as well as the AC. I know what I'm getting with the AC if I do it but am curious as to if anyone has traded from a Tundra to a RC taco? Thanks for your help!

2. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    That'll teach ya.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    bharv88

bharv88 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes sir. I see you have a RC in your sig pic. Plenty of room for 2? It's just me and the wife

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    I can't see you needing anything else.

5. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I would get a v6 access cab just for the power and extra space

6. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    ^^ Don't listen to him. :D

7. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    TOY4JMEBOOZE

TOY4JMEBOOZE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winchester, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    Went from an 07 dc tundra to a 2012 dcsb taco. Couldnt be happier.

8. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    CYCLESARGE

CYCLESARGE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eugene Or
    Vehicle:
    '13 Regular cab 4X4
    If you don't need the extra room or the extra power, I say go for it. When I was looking for a new truck, I kept thinking "well for a little more, I could get an access cab. Since I'm getting the AC, I might as well step up to the V6, Now that I'm looking at $26K, I may as well spend a little more for the TRD. O.K. I'm around $30K, and I don't even have the double cab? Better look at those too. In the end I reminded myself of what I NEED in a truck and got the RC for $19,900 OTD. With the money I saved over not buying the truck I didn't need, I saved enough I has able to buy a brand new Harley Nightster. I'll take that any day over the 2 extra doors I don't need, the 2 extra cylinders I don't need, etc.etc.

9. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wasn't a direct trade... there were a few vehicles in between.

I really wish I had an AC. I don't like having to open the shell every time we go shopping for pretty much anything. No AC back there so perishable food has to be the last stop of the day and beat feet home, no stopping for dinner on the way home.
    Without a shell? ZERO lockable storage space... as insecure as the shell is, it's better than nothing.

I got the RC because it was what was available at a price I could afford... I had my choice between the '08 2.7 Taco with 53k on it and an '08 RC Tundra 4.0 with 65k on it.
    I got the better of the two for my purposes, but I really don't care for the RC.

10. Sep 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    1goindiesel

1goindiesel New Member

Member:
    Cen TX
    Vehicle:
    06 base
    I love my RC base 2wd trk. It just works well. For a few years now I have had a simple p/u for local/dog/runabout use (95 Isuzu, 04 Maz, now this one).
    Its an 06 I got in April for $11k, now only has 32k on it and someone took great car of it.
    Now having said that, I have a small 4x suv and a diesel wagon. If the trk was my only transport, I would honestly have to say I would want the access cab.
    I have transfered the old Continental tall alum topper from each one now to this one. My wife calls it the Taco trk but because with the big side window that open out it looks like a concession trk , my daughter calls it the Pope mobile because there is just so much glass.
    Great value, cold a/c, nice driver...whats not to like??

I digress, buy an extracab if that will be your only vehicle

11. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Well i guess since you had a 4cyl, you know how it performs... I like the look of my regular cab but it is pretty inconvenient at times. I don't shuttle friends around really at all these days, but had to pick gf up the other weekend. That turned out to be her, her sister, and her sister's two friends. The two friends had to take a cab (but the bed of my truck is filled with sleeping platform and shit, or they would have ridden back there).. but with gf and her sister, plus my backpack all upfront, it was pretty uncomfortable.

This weekend, camping trip with 3 other guys.. means two cars no matter what, so that sucks. I'd rather have a little more power than extra seating if I had to choose between the two, but ultimately more power and space without having a giant truck would be ideal. I'm lucky to see 20mpg and struggle up any incline around here so the gas savings aren't worth it IMO. I'd rather have a tundra :p

12. Sep 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I made the switch from a big full-size V8 to a 4cyl tacoma. Of course it's not as fast, but tacomas are small enough, it moves it fine.

I'd highly suggest getting the AC though. I've had two single cab trucks. First was a f150. Next to no room for anything other then two people. Going on a trip, bags have to ride in the back. Stop anywhere, you always have to worry about someone snagging your goods out of the back. Shopping, only buy two bags worth, or you'll have groceries littered across your bed.
    Then in a trade I got a nice Ranger single cab. Talk about miserable. Compact pickup in the single cab is next to impossible. I had room for nothing. I usually always have my helmet and gym bag in my truck, in a single cab that filled it up.
    If it's going to be a daily driver don't get the RC.

13. Sep 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I got my 2010 Regular Cab automatic when my 1999 Extended Cab was totaled. It was what I could afford at the time. Don't get me wrong, it's a good truck, but I wish I had the inside storage space & bucket seats of an Access Cab.

14. Sep 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    That alone made the Access Cab worth it for me. Girlfriend doesn't like having a soggy doggy sitting in her lap after a trip to the lake....
    Plus, it gives me someplace to keep my GHB, tacklebox, and fishing pole. And someplace to put groceries, someplace to put the shotguns if we go shooting, a place for the rifle during deer season... The list goes on.

I had regular cab Nissans for years, then moved to an extended cab, and haven't looked back. Every truck I've had since 2007 has been an extended cab (for the record, that's 5), and I won't go back.

Products Discussed in

To Top