Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Why are first gen 4x4 auto 4-bangers so hard to find?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Cabin Fever is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Cabin Fever's Tacoma Gallery
Why are first gen 4x4 auto 4-bangers so hard to find?

An Autotrader search found just 11 within 200 miles of my zip code. I can find the exact same Tacomas in 5-speeds all day long wearing a blindfold, but never the 2.7 4x4 autos. Why is this? Were they dogs when mated to the automatic transmission? Were they just not as popular? I know for years Toyota only made the 4X4 2.7 with a 5-speed, but they've recently brought back the automatic version. If anyone out there owns one, are you happy with it? Is the gas mileage decent?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you I would go with a v6 auto
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
yeah nobody ever really wanted a 4 banger auto. I had a friend that had one it was alright but he started having issues with the trany once he started pulling around a pressure washing Trailer. The 4 banger manual combo was a bullet proof set up and that's what everybody wanted.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Just to clarify, I've read a lot of different reviews online saying that if you want an automatic with 4X4 then you might as well go with the V6. Does that sound about right? I've noticed that quite a few of the 4.0 owners around here with an auto/4X4 get 19-22 mpg when they keep it under 60. Can the same be said about the first gen 3.4 V6?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
My 03 DC 4x4 V6 auto gets about 18 HWY.
My cousin had a 04 pre runner with the 2.7 and auto trans, and it had about the same power as my 95.5 5 lug tacoma 2.4 with the 5spd manual.

Personally, if you want a EXT or D cab you should get the v6, if you want a single cab get the 2.7 with the 5spd.

My truck feels like it lacks power now and then, bad enough that i plan to supercharge it in the next 3 years.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Just to clarify, I've read a lot of different reviews online saying that if you want an automatic with 4X4 then you might as well go with the V6. Does that sound about right? I've noticed that quite a few of the 4.0 owners around here with an auto/4X4 get 19-22 mpg when they keep it under 60. Can the same be said about the first gen 3.4 V6?
I wish I could help you on that question because that would have meant that I owned one Unfortunately I don't have any Experience with them. Is your issue With manuals that you don't know how to drive a stick or that you don't like to?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
When searching for a 1gen(years ago)--ALL of them were difficult to find-at least a nice one. Most guys hold on to their trucks.
6cyl were more difficult to get than 4cyl.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Is your issue With manuals that you don't know how to drive a stick or that you don't like to?
My brother in law was teaching me how to drive a 5-speed in his grandfather's 1990 Mazda pickup until the radiator went out on it. He's the only one I know with a manual which is why I'm currently looking for an automatic. It seems like everyone else that I know that used to drive a stick got tired of them and went to automatics.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
My .02, get a manual, i loved the manual in my old taco, and if i could get a DC in manual i'd have gotten one (still might swap one in later).
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
My brother in law was teaching me how to drive a 5-speed in his grandfather's 1990 Mazda pickup until the radiator went out on it. He's the only one I know with a manual which is why I'm currently looking for an automatic. It seems like everyone else that I know that used to drive a stick got tired of them and went to automatics.
I personally wouldn't buy a 4 Cylinder automatic because the manual will make it a more capable vehicle. I have the 4.0 auto but I honestly wanted the manual. I only ended up with the auto because I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the truck. I do also have a 2000 Celica that is a manual and because of that (and the fact that I get better Gas Mileage) I drive it way more than I do my truck. I absolutely love shifting gears. It makes you feel like you are part of the machine.

The Tacoma would be a great vehicle to learn to drive a stick on Believe it or not the Clutch can take a lot of damage before it starts to Fail. And if it does its also a pretty easy clutch to replace.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
dunwur is on a distinguished road
dunwur's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 Taco with 2.7 engine ( auto trans. ) with 52k's and love it .But SHHHHH , They are the best 4 bangers on the road . Don't tell anyone or Toyota will charge even more for them ......
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Mackoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Mack
Mackoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.7 4x4 with an auto tranny. I've had it for a little over a year, now at 32k miles and very happy with it. At first, I thought it being a 4 speed, It would sit high in the rpm range at highway speeds. Cruising in overdrive, at 60mph it runs at a flat 2k rpm. At 70, about 2250 rpm.

My only dislike with the tranny is that while accelerating moderately (2k to 2.5k rpm) thru the gears, it shifts in to overdrive very early. This can be annoying while merging onto a highway or reaching the start of a hill at 2.5k rpm in 4th gear and all the sudden, no power.

However, If i maintain a flat 3k rpm thru the gears, I get into the beginning of the powerband thru 4th gear and it shifts into overdrive at just the right time. I dont want to deter anyone from this setup (2.7 with an auto) because as I said before, it has been very solid. But if you drive like me, (gramma style to pinch pennies) it'll hit overdrive a bit too soon.

3k rpm thru the gears, No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Check cars.com . It seems to me that they are making more auto 2.7's than manuals now
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #14

Mackoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just to even up some opinions between auto and manual, Where do you 2.7 manual guys find the sweet spot is for shifting rpm wise during your average daily driving?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I usually shift at 3000. Going up inclines higher
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I usually shift at 3000
x2948194819
Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
they dont have any power
Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #18

Mackoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
they dont have any power
Its the same damn motor lol. It has no more or less power than a manual. its all in where u let the auto shift vs where you physically shift a manual.

Like I said with the auto, 3000 thru the gears, no early overdrive.
Gramma drivin like me (2000-2500) thru the gears, early overdrive=power compromised.

No offense man really, its just common sense
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackoma View Post
Its the same damn motor lol. It has no more or less power than a manual. its all in where u let the auto shift vs where you physically shift a manual.

Gramma drivin like me (2000-2500) thru the gears, early overdrive=power compromised.

A auto trans has more power loss than a manual, it's just the nature of how they're designed.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackoma View Post

torque converter = lost power.... so they might make the same HP but i bet stock manual vs stock auto the manual would win any day of the week.