Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Bumper Fabrication Advice

Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
mmmoore8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
mmmoore8's Tacoma Gallery
Bumper Fabrication Advice

So I'm about to design and build a front bumper for my 2009 2.7L Tacoma, Access Cab, 4WD and was looking for some advice. From the rough plan I have now in solidworks it appears that if I fab with steel, the total weight will be about 130 lbs compared to 60 lbs for aluminum. Aluminum will be about $150 more expensive in the long run but half the weight might be worth it. I know that when I have a passenger in my pickup I can feel the extra weight when driving, will it be the same way with a steel bumper? Should I go with aluminum and save some weight? Are there any drawbacks to an aluminum bumper? Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
nettto is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
nettto's Tacoma Gallery
I have a removable storage project that I've thinking about doing in aluminum because of weight & corrosion resistance. One thing is, what kind of bolt are you going to use to fasten the bumper to the truck? I thought stainless would be ok for my application but there is still the problem of galvanic corrosion. In an aluminum rack review thread (on this board), the guy used stainless fasteners and loctite- I'll probably use loctite.
I can weld steel ok but dont have the equipment or experience with aluminum. So I am going to do the project in steel first, see if it works like I want, then do another in aluminum.
Also, there is a welding thread on this board
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gar...g-welding.html