1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper Fabrication Advice

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by mmmoore8, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    mmmoore8

mmmoore8 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD 4-Banger
    aFe Pro Dry Drop in Filter Bilstein 5100's set at 1.75"
    So I'm about to design and build a front bumper for my 2009 2.7L Tacoma, Access Cab, 4WD and was looking for some advice. From the rough plan I have now in solidworks it appears that if I fab with steel, the total weight will be about 130 lbs compared to 60 lbs for aluminum. Aluminum will be about $150 more expensive in the long run but half the weight might be worth it. I know that when I have a passenger in my pickup I can feel the extra weight when driving, will it be the same way with a steel bumper? Should I go with aluminum and save some weight? Are there any drawbacks to an aluminum bumper? Any thoughts??

Thanks!

2. Sep 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    nettto

nettto Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 2.7l
    I have a removable storage project that I've thinking about doing in aluminum because of weight & corrosion resistance. One thing is, what kind of bolt are you going to use to fasten the bumper to the truck? I thought stainless would be ok for my application but there is still the problem of galvanic corrosion. In an aluminum rack review thread (on this board), the guy used stainless fasteners and loctite- I'll probably use loctite.
    I can weld steel ok but dont have the equipment or experience with aluminum. So I am going to do the project in steel first, see if it works like I want, then do another in aluminum.
    Also, there is a welding thread on this board
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/garage-workshop/113957-anything-welding.html

Products Discussed in

To Top