LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Getting my transmission replaced under warranty after 20k miles

Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
MuchoTaco is on a distinguished road
MuchoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Getting my transmission replaced under warranty after 20k miles

Yesterday I found out that my transmission will need to be replaced on my 2011 Tacoma.

I had brought it to the dealership immediately after hearing a tapping noise coming from my truck. I had already planned on stopping by during a day off work because I forgot about resetting the persistent low tire pressure warning light with the button under the dash.

Within 6 hours of dropping it off, I was told that a re-manufactured transmission was on its way from the east coast (I'm on the west coast). It should be here within a week and I took it back from the dealership until then and have been driving it with no problems (except for this noise).

Has anyone else had experience with this type of situation?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
What is it pre runner or 4x4, or an x runner? Regardless of what it is if its getting replaced under warranty I would ask about a new transmission not re-manufactured.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
No crossover pipe and no transfer case. Looks like 4-cyl PreRunner access cab.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
No crossover pipe and no transfer case. Looks like 4-cyl PreRunner access cab.
Yep lol i missed the link to the video the first time.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by camojared View Post
What is it pre runner or 4x4, or an x runner? Regardless of what it is if its getting replaced under warranty I would ask about a new transmission not re-manufactured.
As mentioned, it's a 4-cylinder. I'm not sure what good asking for a new transmission will do now considering the re-manufactured is already on its way. Is it simply between the dealer and me or can I go through Toyota?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, and welcome to the board.

It's your truck, you're paying the payments on it, and they should've gone over things with you before they decided what they were going to do to fix it for you. The warranty is with Toyota. You can take your truck to any dealer for warranty work.

I'm interested to know why the transmission is making that noise.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchoTaco View Post
As mentioned, it's a 4-cylinder. I'm not sure what good asking for a new transmission will do now considering the re-manufactured is already on its way. Is it simply between the dealer and me or can I go through Toyota?
The warranty is provided by Toyota corporate, meaning the reman'd transmission was decided by Toyota and paid by Toyota. Since your truck is 2 years old (as opposed to fresh off the lot), a reman'd transmission is considered equivalent to the dealer disassembling your transmission and replacing any failed internal parts. Swapping in a reman'd transmission is faster, so less downtime for you.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchoTaco View Post
Yesterday I found out that my transmission will need to be replaced on my 2011 Tacoma.

I had brought it to the dealership immediately after hearing a tapping noise coming from my truck. I had already planned on stopping by during a day off work because I forgot about resetting the persistent low tire pressure warning light with the button under the dash.

Within 6 hours of dropping it off, I was told that a re-manufactured transmission was on its way from the east coast (I'm on the west coast). It should be here within a week and I took it back from the dealership until then and have been driving it with no problems (except for this noise).

Has anyone else had experience with this type of situation?
Yes, I had a transmission go out on a new 2007 Tundra with only 500 miles.

Toyota corporate & the dealer did an excellent job of taking care of me. ...
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The warranty is provided by Toyota corporate, meaning the reman'd transmission was decided by Toyota and paid by Toyota. Since your truck is 2 years old (as opposed to fresh off the lot), a reman'd transmission is considered equivalent to the dealer disassembling your transmission and replacing any failed internal parts. Swapping in a reman'd transmission is faster, so less downtime for you.
Thanks for the explanation - puts me at ease.

On a side note, the transmission is in and I'll be dropping the truck off Tuesday to have it swapped. I'll update after.