Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

K&N Intake 2.7L 4cyl

Old 09-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Tacoma4x4banger is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
Tacoma4x4banger's Tacoma Gallery
K&N Intake 2.7L 4cyl

Anyone have a K&N intake on there 2.7L? I'm doing some mods and to my 2013 2.7L auto 4x4 and I'm curios if the K&N is really worth it. I'm getting 265/75-16 BFG AT's with 16x8 alloy wheels with the ProComp ProRunner shocks and struts with the 2.5in front height lift adjustment. Will the intake help compensate for the added tire size and weight?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased my 2003 2.7L x-cab 4x4 with a K&N cold air induction already installed, so I can't compare to what it's like without it. One thing is , I can here that K&N cone filter sucking some air, when I rev.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma4x4banger View Post
Anyone have a K&N intake on there 2.7L? I'm doing some mods and to my 2013 2.7L auto 4x4 and I'm curios if the K&N is really worth it. I'm getting 265/75-16 BFG AT's with 16x8 alloy wheels with the ProComp ProRunner shocks and struts with the 2.5in front height lift adjustment. Will the intake help compensate for the added tire size and weight?
With the 2.7, no intake could possibly compensate for the larger diameter and heavier rotating weight of bigger tires. However, gearing your final drive lower would definitely resolve the issue.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it.
Makes more noise, so the psychological effect is it makes more power, but it doesn't, and the K&N filter does not filter as well as stock.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma4x4banger View Post
I have a k&N CAI on mine for testing. Throttle response is slightly better than stock but overall speed (0-60mph and 1/4 mile time) is slower than stock. I keep it for the noise anyway and the loss of power is worth it IMO. With stock exhaust after 3,500RPM the CAI gives the engine a loud deep sound.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
^ wut?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
^ wut?
I know it sounds weird that throttle response feels better yet the truck is actually slower but it's just the truth.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Tacoma4x4banger is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
Tacoma4x4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, Thanks guys! I was worried about it possible ingesting water anyways, the open design just seems like it would be more prone to sucking up water. Especially with the amount of rain we have been getting here in Denver. I'll save the money and stick with the stock intake. Gracias Taco Amigos!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
I know it sounds weird that throttle response feels better yet the truck is actually slower but it's just the truth.
You just offered a very useful piece of information concerning intakes,
as your drag runs are as valid as dyno test results.

I don't think that my Injen intake helped my engine either as the A/F on the dyno runs was really lean. When I removed the stock intake I took some careful measurements and found that the inside diameter of the throttle body bore is exactly 61mm, and the inside diameter of the intake air horn at the other end in the fender well is also exactly 61mm. This 1 to 1 relationship of the intake's entry to throttle body bore must be critical for the ECU to meter a good A/F ratio under full throttle conditions.

So I'm going to make a 61mm inside diameter ring and insert it right at the mouth of the Injen intake to restrict the opening enough to richen up the mixture at wide open throttle.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
This 1 to 1 relationship of the intake's entry to throttle body bore must be critical for the ECU to meter a good A/F ratio under full throttle conditions.

Not true. As everyone that has modified their stock airbox can attest, this is not critical. Only the section of the intake that contains the mass air flow sensor is relevant to measurement or mixture ratios.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss View Post
Not true. As everyone that has modified their stock airbox can attest, this is not critical. Only the section of the intake that contains the mass air flow sensor is relevant to measurement or mixture ratios.
I understand what you're saying, as all of aftermarket intakes are restricted in exactly the same way by the required diameter of the MAF sensor.

My Injen uses oversized tubing and necks down to the proper size right at the MAF sensor...

then returns to the larger diameter until it necks down again right at the throttle body...

However the intake diameter at the air filter end of the tube is quite a bit larger than the stock intake which makes the Injen intake overall less restrictive at wide open throttle. Here's the dyno run A/F chart. In both runs I used exactly the same intake, and as you can see, they're both running way lean.

So I'm going to reduce the opening at the air filter to match the bore of the throttle body exactly like the air horn on the stock intake.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My Injen uses oversized tubing and necks down to the proper size right at the MAF sensor...

then returns to the larger diameter until it necks down again right at the throttle body...
Which causes an increase in velocity at the MAF and TB, but the total volume remains unchanged.
Restricting the tubing at the filter will simply place another velocity change into the system, but will not improve flow.

If this were a carb'd system and the velocity changes were post-carb, this would be a bad thing because the fuel would drop out of suspension when the tubing flared out beyond the MAF and the velocity dropped.

In this case, the velocity at the MAF and the velocity through the TB are identical, whether the tubing ahead of the MAF and behind the MAF is 61mm or 610mm. The expanded tubing provides a bit of a buffer... almost acting as a capacitor, so the MAF does not "see" small fluctuations in flow at the TB... enlarging the tubing between the MAF and TB would increase that effect... I'd say with a 70mm tube you'd start seeing some serious mixture issues caused by the capacitive lag between the TB and MAF.

Adding a restriction ahead of the MAF will only serve to increase the overall restriction of the intake.
The multiple bends and chambers in the stock snorkel, the ridges in the flexible coupling, and the intersection in the stock resonator chamber introduce more restriction via turbulence than the stock 61mm snorkel inlet diameter.

The magic is in the flow velocity at the intake port, which you have addressed with the 2" spacer.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to diameter reduction, flow restriction is also a function of the length of the diameter reduction.

Ask any plumber which flows better... 10 feet of half inch, or 100 feet of half inch.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
In addition to diameter reduction, flow restriction is also a function of the length of the diameter reduction.

Ask any plumber which flows better... 10 feet of half inch, or 100 feet of half inch.
Yup... and that 90 degree bend dropping into the TB "costs" as much as 10ft of straight pipe