Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Break-in period...

Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
BrandonFM is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BrandonFM's Tacoma Gallery
Break-in period...

I just bought a 2013 RC 4X2 automatic 3 weeks ago and I love it! I have just over 700 miles on it now. I was wondering however, what is the typical break-in period for a new Tacoma?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
Do a search using "break in" and you will have lots of information.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFM View Post
I just bought a 2013 RC 4X2 automatic 3 weeks ago and I love it! I have just over 700 miles on it now. I was wondering however, what is the typical break-in period for a new Tacoma?
Congratulations on your new Taco!

I kind of go by feel on breaking in a new engine while understanding that the tolerances are close in the beginning and moving surfaces are being set.... especially within the first 1,000 miles. So I avoid running it at a constant rpm by varying the engine speed and load.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
For the first 1000 miles follow the procedures listed in your owners manual:
Avoid sudden stops
Don't tow a trailer
Don't drive at extremely high speeds
Avoid sudden acceleration
Don't drive continuously in the low gears
Don't drive at a constant speed for extended periods
Everything else you will see in this forum is just somebody's opinion.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
There is no break in period, the o-rings come seated from the factory, the only parts that need to be broken in are the rotors so they don't warp. (about 1000 miles or so)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that about rounds out the range of break in approaches except the obligatory "drive it like you stole it" comment.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Thanks guys! My truck was driven 42 miles by highway from an out of town dealership when it was delivered to me. It was the first 42 miles put on the truck. Could that have an effect on the break in period since it basically says no extended highway driving for the first 1000 miles?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys! My truck was driven 42 miles by highway from an out of town dealership when it was delivered to me. It was the first 42 miles put on the truck. Could that have an effect on the break in period since it basically says no extended highway driving for the first 1000 miles?
"Extended highway" isn't "42 miles". I'd be concerned if you had to take a trip for way over a thousand miles right now.

Keep calm. With a 2TR-FE this question is almost a statical non issue though. Just follow the advise in the manual to be in compliance with your warranty. The mileage should've been recorded on your bill of sale to start the warranty.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can you upload some pictures of your truck?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As others said, no problem.
Your 2.7 is a very rugged reliable "industrial" engine that will give you a long service life with regular maintenance. I'm totally pleased with mine.

Greg
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Here she is! Just had my tailgate keeper installed today so my tailgate stays put!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
ya don't worry about anything, just drive it and things will be just fine
Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the Forum , and Welcome to the cult of the four banger. I feel like all of us who chose the right engine , catch hell from the rest of the forum who own two more cylinders. You will find that as you get more miles on your engine, it will drive better, your mileage will go up and you will fell more power coming on sooner as you press the go pedal. You will always have a friend on this forum.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
LittleLady808 is on a distinguished road
LittleLady808's Tacoma Gallery
I now have 300 some miles on my 2013 tacoma and indeed notice a difference in acceleration. I was a little worried at first but she's picking up speed as more miles go on the engine. I'm so glad I found this forum though because reading thru the threads helped me a lot. Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
ya don't worry about anything, just drive it and things will be just fine
This

I found mine was a little stiff for the first few k miles but after about 5k it smoothed out.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
Roasty is on a distinguished road

Roasty's Tacoma Gallery
I change my oil at 5k my taco now has 8k miles on it. Dealer says 10k every oil change but that's to long imo. I only go about 9-10k miles a year.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Every 5k or 6months is what my owners manual says, so i stick to it.

And yes around 1k is the typical break in period.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
I have about 2300 miles on my truck and still has a rough idle when in drive while stopped. When I put it in neutral, the rough idle vibration goes away. It also had a distinct vibration when I let my foot off the gas, slowing to a stop. Almost like an out of balance driveline. Will these issues go away?