1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 clutch slipping low miles!!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Taco 22, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Oct 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Im concerned about my clutch slipping in 4th on my 28k mile Tacoma. The dealer is saying there is no TSB for this issue and that my warrantee does not cover this. Im a bit upset about this. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

2. Oct 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    There have been several threads posted about clutch issues. I do not recall the specifics, but I do remember that some Tacoma clutches had problems with the factory LUK brand clutch. Do some searching around here and I am sure you will find something.

3. Oct 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I had this happen right after buying an 07 used and I was furious because I had questioned the dealer about it before signing. It had 71,000 miles none the less but it was slipping bad after about 2 weeks, especially in high gear. Since I had just bought it from a Yota dealer I called and raised hell on them for lying to me about it NOT slipping. They drove back 2 hours and brought me a rental car while they resurfaced the flywheel and added new clutch. Been fine since, but Toyota definitely started using shit (LUK) clutches made in mexico somewhere in 2nd Gen.. which wear out prematurely...and they use to use quality AISIN clutches. If you read around there are hit and miss stories about Toyota taking responsibility..in most cases Toyota tries to act like the problem does not exist, even though they KNOWWW they did wrong by out-sourcing this part. Bastards still charge us the the same for the vehicle though as if it were all Japanese parts like it use to be. Anyhow. Here are some links:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/254190-2012-clutch-problems.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/402099-manual-clutch-quality-tsb-info.html

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-tsb-5-speed-manual-clutch-disk-defect/

Personally I would Go to the dealer armed with any printed info you can find and demand that they address the fact that Toyota is making a profit off of ((defective)) parts. No clutch should burn out at 10k maybe only a Ferrari.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. Oct 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Much appreciated. I just need to find the correct TSB number if there is one. I found a couple in another thread but the dealer said they did not apply to this particular issue.

5. Oct 11, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    No problem, good luck with it. I was trying to find one as well to present to them. I know its out there somewhere. I had like a 3 month dealer warranty so I held that over them instead. But yeah it seems like Toyota does not want to admit this problem because a clutch is a """wear""" part.

By calling it this, they can avoid millions of dollars in warranty replacement for all of the people shafted by this horrible mexican clutch. Sad capitalism leaking into the Toyota quality.

6. Oct 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    TSB066-11 was done on my truck for that slipping issue. The problem is the tsb states it has to be slipping in all forward gears not just one. It is up to the dealer description if they want to cover you under it with only one gear slipping. Mine did. It's only covered under the 3 year/ 36,000 warranty so depending on when the truck was purchased you could be beyond that and out of warranty for it even with 28k miles.

A TSB is only for techs to how repair an issue. It does directly admit or give notice to anyone of a defect. In this case since your truck doesn't slip in all forward gears, so technically they are correct in saying that TSB doesn't apply to you. Doesn't mean I think they aren't being a dick about it. Try another dealer if you can and you may get lucky. Don't give up.

Products Discussed in

To Top