1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen Clutch replacement suggestion?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by VermonterLost, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Oct 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    So went and talked to my mechanic today. After 75,000 miles (40,000 by me) it's time for a new clutch in my 2006 Tacoma access cab 2.7. Since I WILL NOT put another shitty stock clutch in since I have hated it since the day I bought it, slipped, smoked, and yelled at it more than anything I have ever driven, and wanted to sell the truck because of it, he said order what I want and he'll throw it in. Said he'd just use my parts since he'd just order them from the same place like summit or something and wouldn't make any money anyway.

So that being rambled through...Need suggestions.

I've seen a couple reviews on here, the centerforce looked like a good option, think I remember seeing clutchmasters mentioned. Looking for suggestions from the lucky ones who have all ready upgraded. Looking to order on Monday so come on with suggestions. Yes I've searched just looking for some more recent feedback.

Thank You.

2. Oct 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 Active Member

Member:
    I will be replacing my clutch soon as well. Since the dealer most likely wont cover the costs, I will probably order the clutch I want and have it installed at my local shop. I was looking at the Centerforce as an option as well.

3. Oct 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    After looking at my options and bang for buck I was actually looking more at the LC Engineering Pro Clutch now more than the Centerforce. Looks more complete and they generally have a good reputation for quality. Was even thinking about ordering a LCE header too, just cause:broccoli:..... Looking not more for reviews on that lol.

4. Oct 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    So I don't mean to bump this but I'm hoping it's a Monday morning, people are at work not wanting to be there and might be surfin TW some.

Need to order a clutch for this thing by tomorrow night and having a hard time deciding whats best for better driveability/long lasting.

I've searched the hell out of this site, TN, and yotatech. I've seen Centerforce recommended a lot but it's always "I've heard they're good" doesn't seem like the person who has it ever comments first hand. There was the one on here with the install too and they liked it but they were wanting to upgrade to something stronger for personal preference, but then nothing else was really said. Also now the centerforce no longer comes with the throwout bearing like all the other kits do. Would a new toyota one do the trick or does it need something stronger now that the clutch is stronger?

The one thread I found for LC Engineering was talking about a failure in installation and another guy who experienced the same thing and both went back to stock. So no explanation like what was the problem or if LCE changed anything to prevent future problems.

URD carries clutches but they aren't URD for the 2.7 they're all Competition clutch. Haven't really seen anything on anyone who's bought one.

Well stock sucks and I like the truck so whats it gonna be? LCE is the cheapest, URD is the most expensive, and Centerforce is in the middle but doesn't come with a throwout bearing.

Again, I know poking bears doesn't speed things up, but hoping on a Monday morning some people who don't get onto the 4 cylinder forum might notice.

Thanks!

5. Oct 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 Active Member

Member:
    I need to order a clutch as well. I looked into the LCE kit after you mentioned them and it seems complete. I myself would like a step above stock.

6. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    my71chevynova

my71chevynova Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Gilroy, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Base 4cyl
    Just stumbled across your thread. I haven't had the need to do mine yet (120K), but from my past experience building my Nova, i would call either summit or jegs and speak to the tech dept and flat out ask them what the best option is.

From my expierience they could car less with what you actually decided to buy and actually recommended stock replacements on several of the parts for my Nova's 350. I honestly got the impression from them that they were there to give you the advice you needed and not sell you the most expensive parts on their shelf.

Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck

7. Oct 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 Active Member

Member:
    Today I called around and I talked with some knowledgeable folks. I ended up going with the kit from LCE. Their customer service was great. They answered all my questions and then some. The price was good as well.

8. Oct 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Did you go with the Pro Clutch or the Dual Comp kit? I still haven't decided what brand I'm going to get but will probably order before I go to work tonight. Maybe in the morning after work lol, damn procrastination.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  9. Oct 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Ok finally bit the bullet and ordered the LCE pro clutch. Got a little spend happy and ordered the Header too, always heard good things and I could use any more power I can get. Hopefully this will be money well spent. Hopefully I can get everything installed before my brain realizes how much I just spent on parts alone!:eek:

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 Active Member

Member:
    Let me know how that header works out. It should be good for some extra HP. I would have ordered one too but it is not smog legal in CA.

11. Oct 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    slinkey11

slinkey11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    let us know how the clutch works out. I fear mine is on its way out as well.

12. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Taco 22

Taco 22 Active Member

Member:
    I got the new LCE Pro clutch installed yesterday. It is great, I have no complaints! The factory clutch went out on me after only 28k miles. From what I have read on these forums, this is common. So I am glad I went with the LCE clutch rather than having another faulty Toyota clutch put back in. I have the old clutch that I plan to show to Toyota. The pressure plate clearly failed which is in no way user error as they suggest. Now that I have proof, maybe I can get some of my money back since I am still under warrantee.

13. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Nice, glad you like it. Mine goes in Monday assuming UPS actually shows up today. Claimed no one was home when they showed up, I work third shift, I was asleep on the couch 3 feet from the door, asleep not dead, don't lie to me jackasses lol.

14. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Keep in mind URD has a full line of clutches in stock for all the Tacomas.

G

15. Oct 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Seriously considered going with you guys but had a hard time justifying spending an extra $170 for a clutch with an equally good reputation around this site. Nothing personal, was all about the $$$.

16. Oct 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    Timberland Taco

Timberland Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berlin, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 6-speed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's set at .85, OME 885x coils w/ 1/2" top plate spacers, Total Chaos UCA's, Wheelers 1.5" HD 3 leaf progressive AAL w/ factory overload leaf, DT Pipe Bomb Ypipe, Vibrant resonator, Magnaflow pro series catback system, URD Short Throw Shift Kit, Debadged, BHLM, BTLM, 6000K BiXenon Headlights & Fogs.
    Eager to hear results. Cant stand mine anymore. Last march burning the house down slipping terribly. Air temps went up in spring and zero slips from april till october. Now 2 days ago when temps are finally low enough again now shes slipping like crazy again. Its almost comical...

17. Oct 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    VermonterLost

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Okay, just got my truck back from the shop. Got the LCEngineering Pro Clutch and header installed. Drove it about 20 miles home in the first snow of the year here, started off from Castleton doing about 30 mph and took the old highway so cruising at about 50 (Good choice too, car spun out on the twin bridges in the snow and was blocking route 4 eastbound. Backed up for a couple miles!). Then went around the side of the city to get gas so a few easy stops and starts, plus then getting stuck behind a school bus on Dorr Dr. for a bit then back up to 50 down Alfrecia for a couple miles to finish. So nice gentle variety on the brand new clutch.

First off I DIDN'T stall it! I've driven every kind of clutch from tractor to civic with a race clutch, and this clutch surprised the hell out of me! haha. My stock clutch grabbed (more like slipped into gear) right near the top of the stroke. Didn't slip normally while driving, but never really grabbed firmly, when I was towing or taking off from 1st it would start to slip a tiny bit at every shift. I jumped in the truck before they opened and started it cause it was freezing! Didn't drive it anywhere just sat with it running in neutral. When I actually left I pushed the clutch in and thought something was wrong since the pedal pressure is so much lighter with the new clutch. Put it in gear started to wiggle my toe and it was catching. Just a tiny bit off the floor is where the new catch point is. Gave it some gas and that thing took right off. Polar opposite from the stock clutch.

Same thing when I got into West Rutland for the first stop sign. Pedal was light and engagement was solid, shifted exactly how my 94 Toyota's did.

Added with it was the new LCE Header. Kind of had a bit of a rattle when I gave it gas at around 2k, probably just gaskets, or a hangar, but throttle response seemed to be better. Haven't really given it the gas yet as I'm breaking in the clutch but after a couple hundred miles I'll start givin it to her and see how she goes.

One thing I heard that I'm nervous on was a tiny chirp when driving. Almost seemed like it stopped when I pushed in the clutch but I couldn't be sure. May have been the heater blower motor, it's always chirped, it's actually quieter today than normal. When I shut it off the sound didn't really go away but as I was driving there's a chance the wind blowing through the system would probably keep the fan spinning a bit, I mean I can still feel heat blowing through the vents when I'm going over 30. I'm not too worried about it now but it's just something I'll be keeping an eye on.

All in all so far I'm impressed. Starting to make me not hate driving my truck. Like I said, I've only got like 20 miles on it coming home so it's got a whole lot more breaking in to do. Had the mechanic throw the old parts in the back so I could take a look. I was amazed that the stock exhaust manifold is tubular under the heat shield. I thought it would be cast iron and all lined up just dumping in like the one on my old Jeeps. Honestly at first glance it looks kind of like the LC Engineering header. Looking closer at the LCE one, the tubes are smoother bends, bigger pipe, equal length and ceramic coated. The stock clutch was a bit glazed over with 1 or 2 hot spots, but amazingly the spring fingers looked better than I thought. Still looks pretty beat up for only 75K miles.

I'll update this thread as I put more miles on and the parts break in. Going to be throwing my Pro Dry S back in freshly cleaned. Sorry for this being half a damn essay but I hate it when I do a search, people talk about it for a few posts, and then never say if the problem was resolved, or how it's working out. I just want this to be a good honest reference from someone who is wondering about the Pro Clutch or Header and wants to know how they hold up long term. All right, enough bullshittin, time to drive this thing. Thanks Guys!

fs007 likes this.
  18. Oct 31, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    clcoyle

clcoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great post, thanks for all the great information. I too will be upgrading my clutch in my 2010 Dbl Cab Off-road Tacoma.

19. Dec 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Scooter WCT

Scooter WCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Wesley Chapel, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 w/ 6speed Manual
    3" Lift using Bilstein 5100 Height Adjustable front shocks and complete rear Old Man Emu Dakar springs from Toytec, 17" 4Runner TRD Pro Series w/ 32" BF ATs, Tint and much more to come
    Just bought the LCE Clutch as well and had it installed yesterday. LOVE IT! This is how a clutch is supposed to feel. My Taco only has 48k on it and had the shitty LUK clutch and the Pressure Plate is the problem, it was a mess. Good Riddance you POS factory clutch!! I too ordered the header and can't wait to install that as well :)

Taco on!

20. Aug 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    resurrecting an old thread because I have the lce pro clutch kit installed and now I have 2 issues after 8k. First Ive had since it got installed I have the similar issue as above with the rattle around 1800-2200 rpms. Second is a chirping noise in neutral and in gear with the clutch out but goes away with very small pressure on the clutch. Any suggestions for either of my issues?

Products Discussed in

To Top