Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Short throw shifter?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
jluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jluyk's Tacoma Gallery
Short throw shifter?

Anybody know if there's a short throw kit for those of us with 5 speeds? Why should the 6 speeds have all the fun?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluyk View Post
Anybody know if there's a short throw kit for those of us with 5 speeds? Why should the 6 speeds have all the fun?
google core shifters hes got one

contact the guy he seems to be out atm not on his website atm
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I chopped off my lever on my 5 speed,
and that also shortened the throw.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
URD makes a short throw kit for our 2.7L 5 speed trans
make sure you click the correct one there is one for 2.7 PRE 2005 and one for 2.7 2005- current
I believe it goes for $110
im looking at picking it up for my 4 banger
Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
jluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shedjluyk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jluyk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I like the length/height of the stock shifter but the throw from 1st to 2nd is just too long!!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Taco 22 is on a distinguished road

Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the length/height of the stock shifter but the throw from 1st to 2nd is just too long!!
I was thinking of getting one of these from URD. It looks like they are on sale right now. The short-throw shifter doesn't actually change the height/length of the shifter, it changes the pivot point resulting in less travel when changing gears.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
URD for sure. Also Coupe makes custom shifters, chops it and fills it, thats what i want. Not cheap but im sure it is probably the best option for us in tandem with the URD.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Can vouch for the URD as well - works great though it does heighten the stick about half and inch or so.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed the URD in my 2010 2.7. Very simple install. Worst part was getting the shifter to trans bolts in and out. Clean way is to take to take a small grinding wheel and notch it out. I just grabbed some channel locks and bent the metal out enough that I could wiggle them in. After torqueing the new shifter to trans bolts I just bent the metal back into shape. Other than that worst part was emptying my center console .

As far as driving it feels like I just traded in a model T for a Ferrari. That is all you need to know, and the big URD sticker is gonna gain me at least 50hp
Thanks to the folks at URD for a great product!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland Taco View Post
As far as driving it feels like I just traded in a model T for a Ferrari. That is all you need to know, and the big URD sticker is gonna gain me at least 50hp
Thanks to the folks at URD for a great product!
I got a 52 HP increase and 5 mpg more too!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Jakers83 is on a distinguished road
Jakers83's Tacoma Gallery
Ok this is dumb and might get called names but what is a short throw shifter? What is the up side and down side of this?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
A short throw shifter decreases the distance between the up and down gears. Basically when you go to shift you don't have to pull the shifter as far to reach the next gear. Many people consider these tacomas to shift like a dump truck, so this helps with less time on the clutch, and it doesn't feel as much like your rowing a boat going through the gears.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
Don't hoot with the Owls, soar with the Eagles
BYJOSHCOOK will become famous soon enoughBYJOSHCOOK will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
BYJOSHCOOK's Tacoma Gallery
I have a URD one and my height is stock, works great. Sometimes third is hard to get in but thats every now and then
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYJOSHCOOK View Post
I have a URD one and my height is stock, works great. Sometimes third is hard to get in but thats every now and then
When the throw is shortened, you automatically lose a little mechanical leverage over the shifting forks.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
Don't hoot with the Owls, soar with the Eagles
BYJOSHCOOK will become famous soon enoughBYJOSHCOOK will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
BYJOSHCOOK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When the throw is shortened, you automatically lose a little mechanical leverage over the shifting forks.
I figured it was that and not my truck ha
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYJOSHCOOK View Post
I figured it was that and not my truck ha
My chopped lever is similar as I also lost a little leverage with the shorter length. It just makes the shifter a little bit more "notchy", and not a problem. I really like the shorter lever and shorter throws... feels more like a sports car.

Greg
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:

Quote:
My chopped lever is similar as I also lost a little leverage with the shorter length. It just makes the shifter a little bit more "notchy", and not a problem. I really like the shorter lever and shorter throws... feels more like a sports car.

Greg
Whats up with the do dads in the ciggarrette lighter ports. Is the one on the left a volt meter?

I think the tacoma shifter is pretty nice for a truck. I had a 5 speed jeep comanche with a
Pretty long throw, but it did go into gear real easy, I figured it was just wore out. Even the jeep though wasn't bad compared to the old granny 4 speeds in full size trucks.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
Whats up with the do dads in the ciggarrette lighter ports. Is the one on the left a volt meter?
Yes, it's a nifty little volt meter that I got off ebay for just $3 including free shipping. The other one is a rechargeable LED flashlight that glows blue when its charging, and when you turn it on the light is white. I got it for $5 from Home Depot.

Greg