Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Clutch squeak from hell

Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Clutch squeak from hell

Quick background since I typically type too much shit. 2012 Tacoma Reg Cab, 4x4 - 5spd, 4cyl. 23k miles now.

Clutch squeak started well before 20k but I waited until it was happening almost all the time. Wanted to make sure dealership could replicate, which they did.

They ordered a new master cylinder and clutch pedal (guy said it had side to side play) - seems about right from what I've read on here as far as parts ordered. There was also mention (on here) of the same parts being used so the problem would likely return again.

Got the truck back, it drove so much better. Not a noise to be heard and pedal felt great. That was on Monday, 10/21/13. Three days later I thought I heard a tiny squeak (not the CREAAAK) when going to work, but it was silent before I even got out of my complex parking lot. The next day, a slight chirp-creak for a few shifts after the truck had sat for ~2 hrs. Tonight, a week after repair, I get out of the grocery store and it's worse than ever before. Very difficult to drive the truck and that noise? No way in hell is the radio going to mask that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqjAdoND24

Moral of the story - you may not want to waste your time at the dealership. It seems common that they have to order these parts, so expect two trips. Also expect that it'll come back eventually - and consider that it may come back rather quickly with a vengeance.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
standard
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
standard
Less than 500 miles after repair? Shit, from brand new with 1 mile on the clock it took til probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k to first manifest. Also haven't seen any other videos of it this loud - it's probably twice as loud as it was when I finally took it to them for repair.

Being under warranty and with <25k on it, I'm not really in the mood to grab my ankles and suck it up / live with it. It's one thing to do that when you're out of warranty... not reasonable with a relatively new truck. I'll let them replace it as many times as they want but if it starts getting ridiculous I'll look in to the lemon laws in my state. More than just a noise, feels like I'm pushing the clutch pedal in to a rusted pipe full of rocks. I can't be gentle on the clutch like this and I'm not looking to burn it up. I could also never sell the truck private party with it sounding and driving like this.

I'd like to think maybe they borked the installation, but with it driving beautifully and quiet for a few days.. I'm not sure.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
it is a simple fix, really. put some grease on a q-tip, and push it into the recesses of the clutch pedal up high, where it contacts the clutch rod.

i have to do mine once a year, and it is fine for 12k or so, then it slowly creeps back, stuff some grease in there and i am good for a while.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty normal on these trucks since 1995. This one is mostly because of plastic not the bushing failing noise on older ones. I used the same lithium spray I use on my gas door hinge. Hooray for plastic parts! A lot of vehicles have quirks. They should not happen, but they do.

FYI - I did also have a similar noise coming from under the truck that I thought was this pedal. It is very easy to hear in concrete garage or when truck is against a wall. It turns out the shift fork rusts on these and you have to spray where it contacts the slave. I do it each oil change and have not had the noise come back. I use the same lithium spray as on the pedal.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds just like mine!!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Mine changes with the weather. Sometimes the inside components make noise, sometimes it's the shift fork. I know when it's going to rain soon because about a day before it does everyone outside the truck gets to hear SCREEEEEEE when the clutch gets pushed down. If it's going to be sunny, there's a click with maybe some minor audible squeak. If it's raining, she's quiet.

I've unbolted the slave cylinder twice and tried both lithium and moly on the ball; unfortunately, the thing is completely exposed to the world and no matter what you put on there it just collects dirt and squeaks anyways.

To make the OP feel a little better... creak baby creak!

http://youtu.be/vs0NP_p_3hU
Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Sounds like a deer bleat. lol
You know I didn't put 2 and 2 together until you said this..... LOL it really does! Sorry OP, leave your windows up or you'll be dodging horny bucks.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will put a large gob of grease where the slave meets the fork area and wrap the area in some silicone rescue tape. It should not hold much moisture and should double the time between greasings.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Told ya ! A spurt or two of wd40 and you would have been good
Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yours in on the inside. Have to get down low and see where it's coming from . It's probably that pedal rod. Twist it to tighten.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Oh yours in on the inside. Have to get down low and see where it's coming from . It's probably that pedal rod. Twist it to tighten.
or you can grease the pedal to rod junction like i mentioned and solve it...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
jsnee2013 will become famous soon enough
Army: Cannon Cocker
jsnee2013's Tacoma Gallery
Check out mine. My 2014 V6 4x4 is squeaking worse than yours. Total B.S. In dispute with Toyota at this time. They don't like to admit their mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9G1IUNXaw
Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
mrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mrbadwrench's Tacoma Gallery
Wd40 sprayed up in there everywhere (couldn't see shit) solved mine for about 4 months. Then it came back so I resprayed. Fixed again. I just keep lubing it.