Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

HOw are the Tacoma 4cly as a truck ?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I haul 3000lbs or a bit more, regularly with no problems. Thats 50-60 bales. Pushing 80,000 miles and haven't put one dime into the truck (except oil). I'm very happy with the 4cyl.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
My 2007 Access Cab I4 5spd 4x4, even with the weak springs compensated for by the air bags, would have no problem with that weight. I've hauled that much in wood and on other occasions about 600 to 800 lbs in the bed while towing a single axle 6x10 foot enclosed trailer loaded to about 3200lbs total. It worked a little thru the mountains, but nothing that concerned me. MPG with that load (towing) drops to about 14.5. My normal MPG unloaded is 20 to 21 MPG. With the 5spd, the trick to hauling or towing is to stay out of 5th and use 3rd and 4th the way you use 4th and 5th unloaded. On my truck the "power band" is in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range.

I second the 4x4 recommendation for dealing with snow and ice.
I have a distinct feeling the previous owner of my truck didn't know to do this, which is probably why my tranny sings a bit between 50-58 mph only in 5th gear. The weakest link in Toyota's minitruck trannies has always been either the input shaft bearing or the bearings around 5th gear, both of which get stressed towing in 5th (but not 4th, which uses no gears). Supposedly the R-series is stronger than the W-series, but the design is very similar from what I've seen and it happens to both.

For all my looking around this forum, all the 4 cyl guys I can find with over 400k miles have the 4 spd autos. I know qnyla has a v6 stick well over 300k but that combo sucks fuel. I had one.

The four cylinder is pretty decent power-wise. Same peak torque and at least 14 more horses than the 3.0L vulcan, and about the same peak power as the old pushrod 4.0L, but uses far less fuel than either. It just needs to be revved up a wee bit more to get it.

As for the V6; I drove a 1990's 5.0L F150 for a couple years and the Tacoma 4.0 makes 60 more horses and 12 more ft-lb torque than that beast while weighing 400 lb less.

Working on the 4 cylinder is easy compared to most modern vehicles. The engine bay was designed for a big ol' 90 degree V6 and with the 2.7L there's lots of free space. Plus, fluid changes are a snap because everything has a drain plug. No pulling diff covers.

Parts? From the toyota dealer, the cost of some things is reasonable, others are much higher. For example, you can get a high quality oil filter and a crush washer for the drain plug for less than $6, or an excellent Denso air filter for $16. On the other end of the scale, the good OEM spicer u-joints are $80 apiece and the driveshaft center support bearing is about $280; if you need to replace the clutch on the Delphi A/C compressor, that's $550, or $2200 for the whole compressor unit from the dealer (which rockauto has for $362), or if you want the 2.7L longblock, that's $10,700 to get a shiny new one probably because no one ever buys one. That's the prices in the States.

I have a couple NAPA parts in my truck.

4x4 helps a lot in the slippery stuff. That bed isn't steel and the beast is a little (lot) front-heavy.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
I have a distinct feeling the previous owner of my truck didn't know to do this, which is probably why my tranny sings a bit between 50-58 mph only in 5th gear. The weakest link in Toyota's minitruck trannies has always been either the input shaft bearing or the bearings around 5th gear, both of which get stressed towing in 5th (but not 4th, which uses no gears). Supposedly the R-series is stronger than the W-series, but the design is very similar from what I've seen and it happens to both.

For all my looking around this forum, all the 4 cyl guys I can find with over 400k miles have the 4 spd autos. I know qnyla has a v6 stick well over 300k but that combo sucks fuel. I had one.

The four cylinder is pretty decent power-wise. Same peak torque and at least 14 more horses than the 3.0L vulcan, and about the same peak power as the old pushrod 4.0L, but uses far less fuel than either. It just needs to be revved up a wee bit more to get it.

As for the V6; I drove a 1990's 5.0L F150 for a couple years and the Tacoma 4.0 makes 60 more horses and 12 more ft-lb torque than that beast while weighing 400 lb less.

Working on the 4 cylinder is easy compared to most modern vehicles. The engine bay was designed for a big ol' 90 degree V6 and with the 2.7L there's lots of free space. Plus, fluid changes are a snap because everything has a drain plug. No pulling diff covers.

Parts? From the toyota dealer, the cost of some things is reasonable, others are much higher. For example, you can get a high quality oil filter and a crush washer for the drain plug for less than $6, or an excellent Denso air filter for $16. On the other end of the scale, the good OEM spicer u-joints are $80 apiece and the driveshaft center support bearing is about $280; if you need to replace the clutch on the Delphi A/C compressor, that's $550, or $2200 for the whole compressor unit from the dealer (which rockauto has for $362), or if you want the 2.7L longblock, that's $10,700 to get a shiny new one probably because no one ever buys one. That's the prices in the States.

I have a couple NAPA parts in my truck.

4x4 helps a lot in the slippery stuff. That bed isn't steel and the beast is a little (lot) front-heavy.
This post makes me miss my last Tacoma soo bad!