Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Clutch?! Really? Dammit..

Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch?! Really? Dammit..

So.. my clutch has started to slip but only in 4th gear. My truck has only 120000km on it, 90% of which is highway. I baby it, I drive slow and take it easy. The only time I have to really 'use' the clutch is when I'm getting firewood and that is only for a few weeks of the year, and even THEN I still don't abuse it.

Our 2001 Rav4 has 260000km on it and the original clutch!

This rant has no point other than to release some frustration. The way I drive that damn clutch should last forever.

There goes the change I was saving for the tooter spacer.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
Its a part on a truck. I would expect it to wear out..
Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamerMan View Post
Yeah.. I realize that. I am not ignorant of how parts get used and worn down and eventually have to be replaced. I completely understand that eventually everything stops being 100%. In my line of work it's a common occurrence.

My complaint is that, for the driving I do, in the conditions I use the truck, it should not have to be replaced this soon. I'm mad since I baby the truck and this happens..
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
Fair enough..
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Timberland Taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Its not you, there are numerous threads on this subject. Cliff notes version toyota installed clutches from 2 different manufacturers (LUK & AISIN). Theres no way of telling which one you have but the LUK ones have been well known to fail prematurley. Ive read as early as 8k on some. Mine has been doing it since 23k. Its exactly the same as yours. First felt it in 4th, now im up to 2-3-4-5. I now have 45k and it sucks arse. The weird thing is i guarantee if you dont get it fixed by spring, once the warm weather comes back it will not slip anymore. Mine slipped like crazy till april then one day stopped. It didnt slip once again till october. Now its really bad again. Toyota doesnt recognize this as an issue... Some people have got them to replace it under a certain TSB (forget the #, i think its 0066-11 its in some threads here), but most have been within the 3yr/36k warranty. I never had a chance of getting mine replaced even though i tried, as i bought my truck used with 22k from a Kia dealer, and was already out of the 3yr portion. Sucks as a broke college kid im hearing $1500-$2000 for factory replacement. Im exploring my options as to an aftermarket replacement now, and the possiblity of doing the install myself as im no stranger to working on vehicles (damn jeeps...) Good luck in your situation

Here are some links to similar problems

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ng-2012-a.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...-slipping.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lutch-15k.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ping-help.html

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-t...h-disk-defect/

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...-tsb-info.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-after-8k.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-4th-only.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...-slipping.html
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The thing to remember is that several things can cause a clutch to slip. Yes, you said you baby it, but I am listing all options.

1. taking too long to engage clutch
  2. long shifts
  3. water/oil on clutch surface (oil/coolant leak)
  4. dirt/debris on clutch surface (off-road dirt/mud getting into bell housing
  5. just a plain "bad" clutch disk (parts failure)
  6. pressure plate loose/not torqued down properly
  7. pressure plate weak (clutch disc was fine, weak P.P. can destroy a disc FAST)
  8. bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder
Any of these, or a combination of, can cause a clutch to wear faster than expected. Let us know what you find out!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
vstrom, what year truck? mine gave up on my 11, and it is a fairly well documented issue.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland Taco View Post
Its exactly the same as yours. First felt it in 4th, now im up to 2-3-4-5. I now have 45k and it sucks arse. The weird thing is i guarantee if you dont get it fixed by spring, once the warm weather comes back it will not slip anymore. Mine slipped like crazy till april then one day stopped. It didnt slip once again till october.
Hey Timber.. Yeah looks like we have the same problem only mine isn't as advanced as yours. And it started on a less than a week ago on the day of our cold snap.

Rodney I have a 2010 access cab.

I think a clutch giving out at 120000km is alittle early. Guess I'm mostly mad that almost all my vehicles seem to have a problem all at the same time.

Anyway.. the LCE clutch is on it's way and I'll be attempting the install by myself.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
Hey Timber.. Yeah looks like we have the same problem only mine isn't as advanced as yours. And it started on a less than a week ago on the day of our cold snap.

Rodney I have a 2010 access cab.

I think a clutch giving out at 120000km is alittle early. Guess I'm mostly mad that almost all my vehicles seem to have a problem all at the same time.

Anyway.. the LCE clutch is on it's way and I'll be attempting the install by myself.
Definitely report back, I'm probably right behind u.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine replaced under warranty last year and it has been phenomenal compared to stock. Hopefully your dealer can help some given that you are past the 3 year point.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
I went ahead and ordered up the LCE clutch. Cant wait to be able to accelerate faster than granny garbanzo again
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Jakers83 is on a distinguished road
Jakers83's Tacoma Gallery
Vstrom let me know how you like the clutch and how the install goes. I think I am going that way too. Are you getting the Pro kit?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers83 View Post
Vstrom let me know how you like the clutch and how the install goes. I think I am going that way too. Are you getting the Pro kit?
That's what I went with.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
One thing a Taco owner should do first before thinking about a clutch is to check the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Especially if the clutch suddenly changes and gets worse when the temperature drops and gets cold.
Having owned both a MG and now a Miata, I have found that temperature change will make seals in the slave cylinder shrink. So check this out first before you automatically want to replace a clutch.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
One thing a Taco owner should do first before thinking about a clutch is to check the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Especially if the clutch suddenly changes and gets worse when the temperature drops and gets cold.
Having owned both a MG and now a Miata, I have found that temperature change will make seals in the slave cylinder shrink. So check this out first before you automatically want to replace a clutch.
Good point. The thing that I don't see making sense there, is that if the master or slave cylinder were leaking, it would not cause the clutch to slip. Now if one were sticking, I could understand that.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
So a bit of an up date..

Over a month ago, I finally had time to garage the taco and pull the tranny. It went ok.. I'd recommend for someone to try this themselves to have an extra set of hands nearby for the actually tranny removal and re-install. The tranny isn't just heavy but awkward, especially during the install.

I also cleaned up, primed and painted a large portion of the frame with tremclad.

As well, I changed the plugs and installed the new LCE headers.

I have about 2000 kms on the new clutch and it drives great. Much nicer feel to it.. and no more squeaking.

However, and there always seems to be a 'however', it seems to make a lugging sound at a higher than usual rpm. For instance.. on the old clutch.. I would shift from 3 to 4 at about 2000rpm and would rarely hear the lugging sound. Now, new clutch, it will definitely make a lugging sound.. almost only in 4th gear.. and louder in 4x4. Very weird. I'm pretty confident I installed everything correctly and to the proper torques..

The clutch should be worn in by now.. even if 90% of the 2000 kms was highway.

Other than the noise she drives great!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
kylenotjon will become famous soon enoughkylenotjon will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
kylenotjon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So a bit of an up date..

Over a month ago, I finally had time to garage the taco and pull the tranny. It went ok.. I'd recommend for someone to try this themselves to have an extra set of hands nearby for the actually tranny removal and re-install. The tranny isn't just heavy but awkward, especially during the install.

I also cleaned up, primed and painted a large portion of the frame with tremclad.

As well, I changed the plugs and installed the new LCE headers.

I have about 2000 kms on the new clutch and it drives great. Much nicer feel to it.. and no more squeaking.

However, and there always seems to be a 'however', it seems to make a lugging sound at a higher than usual rpm. For instance.. on the old clutch.. I would shift from 3 to 4 at about 2000rpm and would rarely hear the lugging sound. Now, new clutch, it will definitely make a lugging sound.. almost only in 4th gear.. and louder in 4x4. Very weird. I'm pretty confident I installed everything correctly and to the proper torques..

The clutch should be worn in by now.. even if 90% of the 2000 kms was highway.

Other than the noise she drives great!
What clutch kit did you buy?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.lceperformance.com/Pro-Cl...-p/1053084.htm

Comes with everything but spline grease.. but they recommend anti-sieze for that.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #19
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.lceperformance.com/Pro-Cl...-p/1053084.htm

Comes with everything but spline grease.. but they recommend anti-sieze for that.
Just wondering an update, I'm looking at getting a new clutch for my truck and there don't seem to be many out there for the 4 cly.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamerMan View Post
Ya, but 120,000km is quite low... that's only 75k miles.
My '94 made 180,000 miles before slipping and it "survived" teaching (unsuccessfully I might add) my wife and daughter to drive stick, plus me relearning stick after driving automatics for 15 years.