Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Anyone put on 'Leaf Spring Helpers'?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
RockTock is on a distinguished road
RockTock's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone put on 'Leaf Spring Helpers'?

I'd like to stiffen up the rear a bit for when I haul stuff around. I've read that the payload capacity is around 700lbs for a 2.7? Anyway, Ive seen leaf spring helpers pretty cheap, seems like a good work-around.

I can't even say if there is handling issues, it seems pretty tight back there, just looking at the 2 or so leafs when Im under there makes me feel like its undersprung. Only issue is that this might lower the clearance.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029K01S/...I3JR4J0KMD6T5U
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
No I added some leafs to my pack though, you may be able to add some leafs to your pack off another vehicle and get minimal lift, also I saw where somebody uses some stock chevy bumpstops so when it does bottom out on them it isn't so rough.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
I don't think I want to mess with that myself. How much does a mechanic charge to install one more? (how many hours)?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe look at ride rite air bags or just do the helper springs. I used to have an aftermarket add a leaf to get a little lift and be able to carry more weight. It lost its strength pretty quick so I added some leafs out of an s10. I dont know how the helpers would be, never seen to many people use them on here.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Also with air bags you could only pump them up when you were hauling stuff and the rest of the time have a smooth ride.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Not sure if those helpers would even fit, thats why I'd like to know if someone has even used them on a 2wd taco.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
The Firestone Ride-Rite air bags would give you everything you need without making your truck ride more harsh. Plus it is a bolt-on kit so you could install them in your driveway instead of paying a shop.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had a truck spring shop re-arch and add a leaf for about $350. I didn't want to mess with airbags that will eventually dry rot and leak leaving me back where I was. Have them install new shocks at the same time.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #10

How long did it take for the stock springs to lose their arch.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
2 years, tops.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
cwprice79 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: firefighter/emt. LHFD
Name: Chris
cwprice79's Tacoma Gallery
i put on some leaf spring helpers on my 2ws 08 tacoma, because i noticed a "thump" when I would be at a stop and take my foot of the brake. I picked up some from Oreillys for about $20. It's basically one "helper" for each side and some U-bolts. You install them upside down to stiffen the suspension. It helped stiffen my suspension and took care of the "thump" It only takes about 45 minutes and a 13 mm socket. I tighten mine one a month, to avoid them squeaking.

hope this helps
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I put these on my '06 reg cab 4X4 about 3 years ago with 18,000 miles:

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/produ...ontrol/ez-990/

They've performed flawlessly, no sag from the stock 8 year old springs. The most weight I had in the back was about 1,500 lbs. (mistakenly loaded too many pavers and didn't realize it until I got home and weighed one). Also hauled many other loads close to 1,000 lbs with no issues.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
JJ48Nascar is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation
Name: Josh
JJ48Nascar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwprice79 View Post
i put on some leaf spring helpers on my 2ws 08 tacoma, because i noticed a "thump" when I would be at a stop and take my foot of the brake. I picked up some from Oreillys for about $20. It's basically one "helper" for each side and some U-bolts. You install them upside down to stiffen the suspension. It helped stiffen my suspension and took care of the "thump" It only takes about 45 minutes and a 13 mm socket. I tighten mine one a month, to avoid them squeaking.

hope this helps
You put them in the front of the axle or the rear of the axle to get rid of the thump noise?
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Life is good.
glhsracer is on a distinguished road
glhsracer's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to glhsracer
I too have the Hellwig Helper springs, haul around an 1100 lb truck camper (Travel Lite 690 FD) with no issues. There is no way the stock springs can carry the rated payload capacity, they will hit the bump stops long before then.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
Beaniam is on a distinguished road
Beaniam's Tacoma Gallery
Those 990 hellwigs do they come with new ubolts or are the factory Tacoma ubolts long enough to fit the helper spring in? I used to have the 550 single per side and I really couldn't tell they did anything to help so I sold them. Thinking about getting the 981's.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I reused the original ubolts per the instructions, though theres not much thread left. Many people will tell you to buy longer ones and double-nut them, which is unquestionably safer, but mine have been on since Feb. 2011 and 50,000 miles later have not loosened at all.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #18
Beaniam is on a distinguished road
Beaniam's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. Ordered them off amazon for $79 with free shipping.

Products Discussed in this Thread