Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

engine tick

Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
dave2008 is on a distinguished road
Name: dave
dave2008's Tacoma Gallery
engine tick

At idle i got a tick i am not sure if it is fuel injectors or lifter if i get on the gas the tick goes away but comes back at idle
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Mine ticks, too. It's not loud. I have to open the hood and stick my head in to hear it. My guess is that it's an injector.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
dave2008 is on a distinguished road
Name: dave
dave2008's Tacoma Gallery
I can hear the tick with the hood shut it is pretty noticeable
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
You can't fix stupid..
lordvon01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
lordvon01's Tacoma Gallery
You might need a valve adjustment. I have a noticeable tick as well and a friend told me I have a valve that has too much play.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Mine ticks, work truck with the 2.7 does to.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvon01 View Post
You might need a valve adjustment. I have a noticeable tick as well and a friend told me I have a valve that has too much play.
05-up four cylinders automatically adjust with hydraulic lash adjusters.

Mine has a little injector tick but it's nothing compared to the racket made by the 4.0
Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
05-up four cylinders automatically adjust with hydraulic lash adjusters.

Mine has a little injector tick but it's nothing compared to the racket made by the 4.0
The lifters tick pretty loud still.

OP if it's a tick you're all good in worries.

If it's a knock then I'd look at fuel/ignition issues.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
You can't fix stupid..
lordvon01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
lordvon01's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know!!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
they all tick!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
Mine ticks if it's extremely cold right after I start it until it warms up.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else have an ac compressor that ticks..? mine and my bros both have sense day one
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
Mine ticks if it's extremely cold right after I start it until it warms up.
That's because your oil is more viscous cold vs when she is warmed up allowing a more audible sound from lifters. Doesn't harm the truck a all.