Notices

Cold Air Intakes?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #81
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
Um then how do you explain this? From chevy's website their 4.3L V6 ecotech 4WD has 285 HP and 305 ft/lbs of torque. It has an EPA estimated 17mpg city and 22mpg city. So according to this, this engine get better or just as good mpg as my 2.7L I4 and more power.

So there is more power with same fuel economy. More get up and go did not decrease mpg. Im sure more examples could be found.
I also wouldn't believe a manufacturers website. They're all, and that's including Toyota, not realistic.

Fuelly.com is were I go to research gas mileage.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #82
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
Um then how do you explain this? From chevy's website their 4.3L V6 ecotech 4WD has 285 HP and 305 ft/lbs of torque. It has an EPA estimated 17mpg city and 22mpg city. So according to this, this engine get better or just as good mpg as my 2.7L I4 and more power.

So there is more power with same fuel economy. More get up and go did not decrease mpg. Im sure more examples could be found.
different engines, different fuel mapping, different drive-trains. the 2.7 is over a decade old with minor enhancements. the chevy 4.3 is new (it's not the Vortec re-badged from my understanding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moonshine2 View Post
That's why I mentioned aircraft, the pilot has to make mixture adjustments. If our trucks had fixed jet carbs, then really hot or cold air would lean or richen the mix. With fuel injection the ECM adjusts for conditions to maintain 14.7:1.

Same thing that happened with modified exhaust, and intakes on motorcycles, and cars with carbs (especially after emission regs started). More air flow with fixed jet carbs made the mix too lean, and burned valves, scorched pistons was the result.

I still say any gain from the warm air (i'm still not convinced of any gain) will be offset by the loss of power.
more fuel dumped in due to the ratio does increase/maintain power, but more fuel dumped in also decreases mpg. That's why the "big-3" (intake, exhaust, fuel proc) for motorcycles is either on par or less mpg than factory.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #83
duppers1957 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1'st cav
Name: steven
duppers1957's Tacoma Gallery
what's the scoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlander View Post
I've got a Volant Scoop I'd sell for $50 +shipping. Had it on and then decided to change to a snorkel.
I'm sorry to be so late but do you still have the scoop for sale and will it fit a 4.o? if it's gone do you know anybody that might have one that doesn't cost a proverbially arm and leg?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #84
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
the 2.7 is over a decade old with minor enhancements. the chevy 4.3 is new (it's not the Vortec re-badged from my understanding)

The 2TR-FE came out in the 2005 models, so it isn't over a decade old. It's totally different from the original 2.7 (3RZ-FE). Being new doesn't make an engine better, or more efficient. The GM 4.3 is still a single cam pushrod style V6. 22 mpg is the WORST fuel mileage I've ever gotten for a tank on my 2.7. The only time that 4.3 will get that mileage is on flat ground, no load, at legal interstate speeds. The highway mileage has such a gap due to the high OD ratio found on these new 6spd auto transmissions being used in newer pickups. Drive at speeds and conditions where it can't utilize the final OD, and you won't touch the claimed highway mileage.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #85
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
I also wouldn't believe a manufacturers website. They're all, and that's including Toyota, not realistic.

Fuelly.com is were I go to research gas mileage.
Fuelly is nothing but social media, like all internet forums. It's just as filled will false info, lies, scams, and people who don't even know how cars works, as any other net forum.
I can find very little serious, knowledgeable discussion, anywhere on net forums. Most are mostly trolls, and shooting the bull...
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #86
907Yoda is on a distinguished road

Air Force: WEAPONS
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt FLuffy View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Cold air intakes are a lie^^^^^^
wow that video is impressive i had no idea. thanks for this post i was about to waste 250$ on a CAI setup

Products Discussed in this Thread