Notices

Cold Air Intakes?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
4bangerowner will become famous soon enough

Name: Eddie
4bangerowner's Tacoma Gallery
Cold Air Intakes?

Any good cold air intakes. I want more power then i already have in my stock 2.7L. thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
The name cold air intake is kind of a deception. Should be called Air intake performance kit, or as K and N calls it, Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK). And they are all good, but don't really offer too much gains until you start adding other things along with it such as headers, or you're running your engine in the higher RPM range. But they do give the engine a much nicer Brap sound. But I do believe URD (Under Dog Racing) offers a true cold air intake that snakes the cone filter in between the grill and the radiator. Might be something that would interest you. Good luck
Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Jesus follower
.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mark
.MarkyMark.'s Tacoma Gallery

Volant for the 2.7l, so legit. Cone filter hidden in the box, cool air from the grille with the scoop attachment and there is a hidden pipe on the side that goes into the fender.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Get an AFE pro dry filter and you should be good.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Jesus follower
.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
That's a nice set up there
Thank you, sir.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .MarkyMark. View Post

Volant for the 2.7l, so legit. Cone filter hidden in the box, cool air from the grille with the scoop attachment and there is a hidden pipe on the side that goes into the fender.
Where 'bouts did you get that? Looks like a nice setup. Could pass for stock if the top didn't say volant.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing it's going to do is make noise unless you are tuned for it...

And like was mentioned above most of then draw warm air from the engine bay, not cool air like the stock air box does
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
4bangerowner will become famous soon enough

Name: Eddie
4bangerowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post

And like was mentioned above most of then draw warm air from the engine bay, not cool air like the stock air box does
is there any that will give you a little more power? Or are headers/exhaust the way to go.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Jesus follower

Quote:

I'm going to partially disagree here... Granted the noise is the most obvious change, the power increase is notable as well to a stock tune. I agree that the right system must be chosen to improve performance. It would be pointless to tune after every mod because that would start to get expensive, unless you can tune it properly yourself. Wait until you've done all your major performance mods before tuning and then once you do you'll unleash some better results. You will feel improvements along the way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerowner View Post
is there any that will give you a little more power? Or are headers/exhaust the way to go.
Headers are a must. Read what I posted here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ml#post8018235
Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Banned
Capt FLuffy is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: War of 1869
Name: Kyle
Capt FLuffy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any good cold air intakes. I want more power then i already have in my stock 2.7L. thanks!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Cold air intakes are a lie^^^^^^
Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
AL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
AL W's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt FLuffy View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Cold air intakes are a lie^^^^^^
I agree with Capt Fluffy. Cold Air intakes are wasted money. The guys in this video are very careful to try most alternatives and they still only get 1.7% performance increase by hanging the filter outside the engine bay in front of a fan.

AL W
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

From my own experience I'd say that headers are the best bang for the buck mod as long as you don't open up the rest of the exhaust system and lose your low end torque.

While I don't know about 4-2-1 Doug Thorley headers because there doesn't seem to be any 2.7 specific dyno charts on them, I did run a dyno test with an LCE 4-1 folded long tube header on my engine...

...and it lowered the torque peak by 650 rpm from 3,800 rpm down to 3,150 rpm. The run with the header is the blue lines.

The red lines are the dyno run with the combination of the header and an intake manifold spacer.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I run a warm air intake for better gas mileage.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #16
sgoodwin1 is on a distinguished road
sgoodwin1's Tacoma Gallery
Only way a CAI does anything is if you get tuned for it. The ECU will compensate for the increased airflow using Fuel Trims to maintain Stoich 14.7 AFR....but they do sound cool lol I bought my truck used and it had a K&N intake and throttle body spacer sounds like a vaccumm cleaner LMAO
Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
A little extra power tends to be a big waste of money. You wont in any conceivable sense notice 5hp. Your engine makes a fraction of what it can at any given time driving around. A 500hp engine is making around 50hp 99% of the time, making it a 505hp engine, it will still be making 50hp 99% of the time.

If you figure a lot of 'good' bolt on will net a 10% improvement, a 140hp engine becomes, after several hundred dollars, 141.4hp. Yay.

I still throw money at my toys, but not because i actually expect a real effect.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
A little extra power tends to be a big waste of money. You wont in any conceivable sense notice 5hp. Your engine makes a fraction of what it can at any given time driving around. A 500hp engine is making around 50hp 99% of the time, making it a 505hp engine, it will still be making 50hp 99% of the time.

If you figure a lot of 'good' bolt on will net a 10% improvement, a 140hp engine becomes, after several hundred dollars, 141.4hp. Yay.

I still throw money at my toys, but not because i actually expect a real effect.

The best bone stock 2.7 dyno run I've seen so far is: 119hp 133tq

I did dyno runs on my 2.7 with only these mods:

Injen long tube intake

LCE long tube header...

No power steering or air conditioning.

...and it made: 135hp 158tq

So the combination of those mods netted gains of 16hp and 25tq.

Intake: $220
Header: $473

...for a total of $693.

Greg
Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

10% of 140 =14
So total is 154

10% is a huge improvement on a small motor.. but I doubt you'd get that high a percentage.

Edit.. just read Tooter's numbers.. looks like he got close to 14% on HP and 19% on TQ! Very impressive!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
10% of 140 =14
So total is 154

10% is a huge improvement on a small motor.. but I doubt you'd get that high a percentage.

Edit.. just read Tooter's numbers.. looks like he got close to 14% on HP and 19% on TQ! Very impressive!
And the intake manifold spacer added a couple more of each to make 137hp and 160tq.

So from 119 hp to 137 hp is 18 hp is 15% increase in horsepower...

...and from 133 tq to 160tq is a 20% increase in torque and that higher peak torque is reached 1,100 rpm sooner, at only 2,900 rpm instead of the 3,800 rpm peak on a bone stock engine...

...and this is with just the stock ECU, no tuning, and cheap regular 87 octane pump gas, so I'm really pleased with how this particular combination of mods has worked out.

Products Discussed in this Thread