Notices

Maintenance help?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
mlach1127 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
mlach1127's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Maintenance help?

Hello all.
I have an 05 4cyl/5spd. Recently bought it off my father.

Nothing has ever really been done to it, other than a clutch, and rear axle seals.

I now need a front wheel bearing, and not sure what else I should do. Plugs have never been replaced. The truck has 160k on it. Any help would be appreciated, as well as what part brands are recommended.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
It likely needs lots of stuff. If it hasn't been done yet, change all fluids, includings diffs (GL5 75w90, or 90w), transmission (Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG work well if you can't find any dino non-GL5), transfer case if you have one (same as tranny), coolant (use Toyota SLLC), power steering (Dexron III ATF), and have the brake fluid changed out.

Plugs are an easy job on the 2.7, so change them with the OEM denso iridium.

Inspect those u-joints and grease them religiously if they have zerks. They're designed for purging so feed them until all the black crud is out every time.

All I can think of off the top of my head
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Consider never buying from your dad again.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
mlach1127 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
mlach1127's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys.

He has had some service done on this, but I have no clue what was done. As receipts weren't kept.

As far as ball joints go, what brand is recommended? SKF? I've always used Timken in my Domestics.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearing and ball joints? Not fun.

As for the former http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ave-money.html
Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Check water pump weep hole for leakage
Check drive belt
Air filter
Break pads/rotors
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/

hit up the 2nd gen area and search for maintenance items.

I would think timing belt/chain if it's never been done (usually 70-100k for change interval)

best thing to do is really ask your dad what he remembers doing and write it down as a checklist to go over and cross off