1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck won't start, but will turn over

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by hawkeyefan, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fort Riley, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Tacoma
    I posted a few months back that my truck was having some problems starting. After putting in a new fuel pump (which I screwed up the float on because now my gas guage doesn't work), new plugs and wires, new ignition coil, and a new starter my truck still won't start. I had taken it to a shop to get it running and they just replaced what they called "bad parts" ie: the ignition coil and plugs. Just recently my truck will crank but it will not start. The motor sounds like it wants to fire, but it just stalls out while trying to start it. After putting over a grand into this truck I finally had it and had it towed to a toyota dealership. The called me and told me they think that the timing chain may have jumped time. They said for them to check would be about a 6 hour job, and if it did it would take about 16 hours to complete and quoted me close to 3200 bucks. Is this a common issue with the 2.7L or is there something else that could be wrong. I am not paying for that fix if anything I might look for a used motor which would be cheaper. I am just looking for some advice, past experiences, and help!

2. Feb 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    LDurchy

LDurchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    I'm assuming you have solid lifters. They must have a gap for valves to close for compression & power. When parts won't fix have that checked.

3. Feb 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I think Ben and the truck are gone but I'd look at the ignition module and fuel pump relay. I don't know. Maybe a crank sensor. I assume the truck ran before this. Check all the ground wires aren't corroded off.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top