1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BACKPRESSURE MYTH

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by crawl, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Feb 12, 2014 at 5:23 AM
    crawl

crawl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5

This needs to be posted here because too many of you are misinformed...

chris4x4's post #24
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/196978-straight-pipe-question-2.html#post4322847

AND from my Prelude forum...
    http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266540&highlight=exhaust

At the very least, please read it and do your own research if you are still not convinced.
    Greg

2. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    nah nah nah nah nah I can't hear you I can't hear you... :goingcrazy:

Seriously, thanks for posting those very informative articles. This is the part that's most relevant to me...

I agree that a larger exhaust system favors top end performance, but with a slow turning high torque low end "industrial" engine like the 2.7, the larger the exhaust pipe diameter, the more you lose the beneficial torque enhancing exhaust gas velocity at low rpms.

So my approach was to run a free flowing long tube header that keeps the exhaust pulses separate from each other for a longer distance (longer time) so that when they recombine, the frequency of the scavenging effect favors low rpms.

Then I ran a very large long straight through 2 1/2 inch core muffler with no low rpm restriction at all. But it feeds into a smooth uniform diameter mandrel bent tailpipe which is just slightly (1/8th of an inch) smaller than the stock exhaust diameter to retain good exhaust gas velocity at low rpms.

I'm not interested in engine performance above 3,000 rpm because that's 90 miles per hour in 5th gear which is faster than I ever need to go. I am, however, very interested in getting the most torque at very low rpms because that is exactly what makes a heavily loaded work truck more pleasant to drive. :)

The combination of an intake manifold spacer making the individual intake runners 2 inches longer than stock, and the long tube header making the individual exhaust runners 5 inches longer than stock. Lowered the torque peak by 900 rpms, while spreading the increased amount of torque over a wider rpm range.

Greg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Feb 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    crawl

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    Ha.... you crack me up.

I got more to say but running late for appt. will finish my response later

4. Feb 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    crawl

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    I never thought or said the 2.7 Tacoma's exhaust tubing was too small. I think the size is perfect and even suitable for extra power. It's way larger than my factory honda exhaust, with smoother bends and transitions. I think its good for even low boost. My issue is with the muffler...the factory muffler MUST have restrictions in it because that's what makes it quiet. The same principals of air flow apply to the muffler... highest velocity, lowest restrictions.

yes.. sounds good.

This sounds good. I assume the factory muffler is smaller than 2.5" and way more restrictive. So you definitely have opened up the system at the muffler over the stock, regardless of that slight neck down.

But just for information...

Where ever you "neck" down the system, whether at the cat or at the muffler, that's the size of the entire length of the tube. I've hand my hands on many mufflers and they are not created equal. Every manufacturer handles transitions differently. The first 3" Dynomax muffler I bought had a pitched inlet that reduced the opening to almost 2.5" ID. That was completely unacceptable and I returned it. I've seen all my friends mufflers in addition to the several I went through...and they are ALL completely different.

Very specific performance goals.. much different than most of us non-work truck drivers.

Proof is in the dyno graphs.. all the mods you've done have worked well for your goals. That's pretty kool to see your hard work pay off. Congrats man :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  5. Feb 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    The stock muffler core is exactly the same inside diameter as the 2 3/8" OD exhaust tubing except it has internal chambers and baffles to cancel out the sound waves. And it actually does that quite effectively. I like a little sound so I got a 2 1/2 inch core MagnaFlow muffler just like this...

[​IMG]
    except that it's longer and larger in diameter. It's positively huge and about twice as heavy as the stock muffler.

IMG_7670_zpsaf0b92d6_14666e529eb5b6c60405ce480a88de25cac73c2d.jpg

Yes. There's definitely no restriction in the muffler. I could see from one end to the other. The muffler is center/offset, so the perforated mandrel bent core is smoothly curved between inlet and outlet. It's a simple beautifully executed design that sounds low and clear with no drone. :)

Yes. I understand. My restriction is right at the end... the 2 1/4 OD tailpipe. I had already tried a smaller 18" long 2 1/2" core straight through MagnaFlow with the larger 2 3/8" OD stock tailpipe and gave up too much low end.

Thanks, man. :)

Greg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    SillyDilly likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2014 at 1:41 AM
    crawl

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    Great minds.......we have the exact same Magnaflow muffler except mine is 3"

[​IMG]

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    1moonshine2

1moonshine2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Appalachian Mountains in VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, 4cyl, 5spd, reg cab
    I'm glad somebody posted the back pressure myth articles. I was too lazy to look it up, and post links. Nobody is going to pay any attention to it anyway.

A muffler alone isn't going to do much of anything except change noise level.

After market mufflers are designed to do one thing: get money from your pocket to the the pocket of the seller...

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    ...but they sound really neato. :)

9. Feb 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    RdRunr

RdRunr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    still in the Matrix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Base, white, reg cab, 2.7L, 5-spd
    LCE header, Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler
    I think a muffler can make a difference. See my posts at:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/306689-tacoma-noob-exhaust-question.html#post7877866

I drew the black line between the points to get an average MPG before and after changing the muffler. I see about a 1 MPG improvement. This was on a '98 F-150 with 4.2L engine and 5-spd.

SillyDilly likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM
    crawl

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    ^^^

I totally agree!!!!!!

If the muffler is a restriction in the exhaust system, changing it out for a less restrictive better flowing muffler will increase performance and MPG.
    Thanks for posting your experience RdRunr.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  11. Aug 31, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    BlazingTaco

BlazingTaco ~,!,,___(•v•)___,,!,~

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Exile
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 BBP DCSB 4x2
    Mall landscaping pin stripes.
    I just had the a custom made cat back installed on my '16 this last Friday. I did it because I hated hearing so much sewing machine noise from the injector cleaning cycle on the motor and the stock exhaust was already louder than a stock exhaust should be, but the tone was ugly. We used a Magnaflow 2.5" core even though Magnaflow themselves use a 3" setup on their retail kit. The result was a near silent top gear experience and improved fuel economy on the road trip back over the weekend. I would say I gained at least 1 mpg or more just by opening up the exhaust. Backpressure is not the key here, it's pulse scavenging that makes the difference and when you uncork an exhaust too much that scavenging is affected by loss of velocity, it's all about balancing scavenging and velocity.

Also, worth noting weight savings. The factory trash can muffler is huge because of all the baffles and chambers inside, it weights a ton compared to a similar straight through or baffled aftermarket unit. You can save 20-30 lbs depending on the application being replaced. Every little bit counts when you're toting tools, gear, or a boat.

12. Aug 31, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I totally agree. It's all about reflected pulse timing. The longer you can make the "plumbing" on both sides of your engine (intake and exhaust) the more torque you'll get at lower rpms because you lengthen the elapsed time of the reflected pulses by adding more distance for them to travel. Longer distance, more time, lower rpms affected.

I originally went from stock to Magnaflow and then from Magnaflow to Flowmaster. When I dyno tested all three mufflers head to head, Flowmaster won. As you can see from the chart, they're actually all pretty close.

Red: stock.
    Blue: Magnaflow
    Green: Flowmaster

all_3_zps45fc619a_bb15193777cf255efff0bc857df31fc495c62106.jpg

The Flowmaster Series 50 Delta Flow muffler lowered the peak torque by 100 rpms from 2,900 to 2,800 rpms (stock peak is 3,800 rpms) and was slightly better overall at lower rpms.

Greg

SillyDilly likes this.
  13. Aug 31, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    BlazingTaco

BlazingTaco ~,!,,___(•v•)___,,!,~

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Exile
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 BBP DCSB 4x2
    Mall landscaping pin stripes.
    Flowmaster droned like crazy on the last vehicle I used one on though.

14. Aug 31, 2016 at 2:18 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top