Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Clutch problem: Shifting problem from 1st to second. Metal on metal filling.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
egres is on a distinguished road

Army: RECON OIF I & III DOG FACE SGT.
egres's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch problem: Shifting problem from 1st to second. Metal on metal filling.

2013 4 cylinder. Just started, for last 50 miles. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, right after natural and going in second, I can fill metal on metal contact, little resistance and scratchy. I can fill it on the shifter and clutch pedal. And hear little thump.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bad synchronizer? What's the temp there? Is it still doing it at operating temp?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
It's new.. everything will take time to 'break' in. Also, it's a truck, so it will never shift as smooth as a car. It will always be a bit clunky.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible, but not likely. Have a tech at the dealer drive it and see what their opinion is.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
That would be the four cylinder second gear crunch. Gets worse in the winter.

Solution, don't use GL5 oil, and shift slower. I let the shifter center in neutral before flicking it back to 2nd and that's usually enough time.

Sometimes revving it up to around 3000 rpm makes it go away too.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

egres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
That would be the four cylinder second gear crunch. Gets worse in the winter.

Solution, don't use GL5 oil, and shift slower. I let the shifter center in neutral before flicking it back to 2nd and that's usually enough time.

Sometimes revving it up to around 3000 rpm makes it go away too.
Wow it's know problem and has a name?
I have one reservoir that combined with brakes. So my clutch fluid is dot 3.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, I wasn't referring to the brake fluid. The tranny's oil is 75w-90 GL4 from the factory, so you're ok for now. The manual says use GL4 or GL5 75w90 when changed out but GL5 is almost guaranteed to make bad shifts. It doesn't play nicely with the synchros.

Mine does it every time when the tranny is cold, partly because I don't rev the motor much and it's been below zero so often. After running for about 15 minutes it pretty much goes away.

In the summer I'll get one or two cold crunches if I rush things and then it's done for the day. Nowhere near as annoying.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
mine started out the same way, turns out the clutch gave up a little later... good luck.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...nsmission.html
Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Bear to shift when cold, for sure. 98k on mine; don't worry about it. "Second gear crunch"...that's a good one.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #13

egres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
mine started out the same way, turns out the clutch gave up a little later... good luck.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...nsmission.html
Hey bud, just wondering how it happened? It got worse and stopped working? Did noise got worse. How dealer react? Did he give you hard time like always and you had to fight him?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing, gets better as the trans warms up. Just shift slower. Hondas and Toyotas are massively different, my wifes Honda Fit is the smoothest shifting car Ive ever driven, and my truck is the most dramatic. Everything else falls between them somewhere lol
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
hoenah808 will become famous soon enough
hoenah808's Tacoma Gallery
well ive owned lots of older toyota 4x4s all 5speed. my 2014 I had to get used to the shifting as well as the clutch pedal...I now learned to shift out of gear to neutral then into 2nd gear, not 1st to 2nd super fast, doing so makes a much smoother shift