Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Automatic transmission an 4 cyl.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
dgc1 is on a distinguished road
dgc1's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic transmission an 4 cyl.

How does the Auto transmission an the 4 cyl. do? My question is will the auto hold as will as a 5 speed manual? I'm going look at a 2011 reg. cab 4x4. With auto transmission an the 4 cyl. It will be used for light off roading, pulling a trailer an 4-wheeler. Thank you
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both the automatic and manual transmission in a 4-cyl Tacoma. Nothing beats the ease of an automatic but I absolutely hated how it would handle itself on the highway when climbing hills.

Cruising along at 2,800 rpm then a sudden downshift and screaming at 3,900 rpm - a little obnoxious and I no longer have that happen in the standard. If you aren't climbing hills very often, I would go with the auto.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
BlueBomber is on a distinguished road

Name: Luke
BlueBomber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc1 View Post
How does the Auto transmission an the 4 cyl. do? My question is will the auto hold as will as a 5 speed manual? I'm going look at a 2011 reg. cab 4x4. With auto transmission an the 4 cyl. It will be used for light off roading, pulling a trailer an 4-wheeler. Thank you
Either way you're getting a quality product. Automatic is incredibly easy, I drove an auto for probably two/three years before getting in my Taco with the 5sped. (also 2.7) and I really enjoy the manual transmission. It's really all down to personal choice. When I drive a manual tranny, it feels like every trip is an event. Makes the daily grind a little more special.

Plus nobody will be able to steal your truck.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty much bulletproof as long as you change the fluid every 50-60K miles. It's pretty much the same 4spd Auto Toyota has been using for 25 or so years. The 2nd gen 2.7L uses the A343E. The A343E is an electronically controlled version of the A340 which has been in service since 1987 and has been used in a number of different vehicles. So rest assured that Aisin Warner had every last bug ironed out of this trans 15 years ago.

Just read it's a 4x4. 4x4s use the A343F which is exactly the same except for the output shaft length and tail housing. Basically this is done so a transfer case can be bolted to it.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
It's pretty much bulletproof as long as you change the fluid every 50-60K miles. It's pretty much the same 4spd Auto Toyota has been using for 25 or so years. The 2nd gen 2.7L uses the A343E. The A343E is an electronically controlled version of the A340 which has been in service since 1987 and has been used in a number of different vehicles. So rest assured that Aisin Warner had every last bug ironed out of this trans 15 years ago.

Just read it's a 4x4. 4x4s use the A343F which is exactly the same except for the output shaft length and tail housing. Basically this is done so a transfer case can be bolted to it.
The A340 is electronically controlled. The 2005+ Tacoma uses the A340F in the 4x4.

Nothing wrong with the automatic transmission. I tried both, and I went with the 5spd manual. I just felt that the auto soaked up too much power, and manual is always better for driving on ice/snow. I also found the bucket seats in the auto equipped model to be uncomfortable.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moonshine2 View Post
The A340 is electronically controlled. The 2005+ Tacoma uses the A340F in the 4x4.

Nothing wrong with the automatic transmission. I tried both, and I went with the 5spd manual. I just felt that the auto soaked up too much power, and manual is always better for driving on ice/snow. I also found the bucket seats in the auto equipped model to be uncomfortable.
If any other auto guys find them uncomfortable let me know and I could swap you a bench
Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=1moonshine2;8342644]The A340 is electronically controlled. The 2005+ Tacoma uses the A340F in the 4x4.
[QUOTE]
Arguing for the sake of arguing I guess. Ok so tell me how to tell the difference.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Fordless;8343055][QUOTE=1moonshine2;8342644]The A340 is electronically controlled. The 2005+ Tacoma uses the A340F in the 4x4.
Quote:
Arguing for the sake of arguing I guess. Ok so tell me how to tell the difference.
Fairly certain the 2005 and up use the A750 series transmissions .
Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Test drive it . Too bad you can't offroad and pull a 4 wheeler on the test drive . I didn't care for the auto
Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
[QUOTE=gearcruncher;8343377][QUOTE=Fordless;8343055]
Quote:

Only on the 4.0 V6, not the 2.7L I4. The A750 is a 5spd auto. The A340 is a 4 spd auto.

Quote:
The A340, A341, A343, are all in the same family of Aisin Automatic transmissions, and are all quite similar. I'm fairly sure the A343 was only used in some 4x4's, the Landcruiser, for example. Only way I know of to be sure which transmission it is, look at the model tag on the transmission it's self, or look up the entire vehicle model code on the Toyota website...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
A750 is the 5 speed auto that bolts behind the 4 liter

The 2.7L still uses a 4 spd auto

The question I asked was rhetorical:
The way to tell the difference between the A340 and the A343 is the A340 uses a Transmission control module. The A343 is controlled by the ECM. To my knowledge the 2TR trucks do not have a TCM. So they have the A343. The two transmissions are almost identical aside from this.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
If any other auto guys find them uncomfortable let me know and I could swap you a bench
I liked the bucket seats in the 2003 Tundra I had, but I found those in the 2011 Tacoma that I test drove, to be not be as comfortable for me, as the bench seat. That's just me, I know everybody is different. I have had much difficulty with seat comfort on many different vehicles. I actually found the suspension seat on the Mack I drove while employed as a commercial driver, to be about as comfortable as any. I can actually sit in bench seat on my Tacoma for long drives without discomfort. I can't say that for Dodge Ram that I had some years back.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
Quote:
A750 is the 5 speed auto that bolts behind the 4 liter

The 2.7L still uses a 4 spd auto

The question I asked was rhetorical:
The way to tell the difference between the A340 and the A343 is the A340 uses a Transmission control module. The A343 is controlled by the ECM. To my knowledge the 2TR trucks do not have a TCM. So they have the A343. The two transmissions are almost identical aside from this.
Well, then I suggest you look here and see if you see any mention of an A343:http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...SM/repair.html

You can also look here:http://www.vibratesoftware.com/

I don't always like to argue, but I don't like incorrect info. Some may take bad info as fact, and act on it accordingly...

Click on vehicle support, then click on transmission gear ratios, then Toyota, then the year, then Tacoma...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Well, then I suggest you look here and see if you see any mention of an A343:http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...SM/repair.html

You can also look here:http://www.vibratesoftware.com/
I suggest you look here
http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/hilux/index2.html
Old 03-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
If he wouldn't, I would

Although, to be honest, I've had a bench in both my Tacos and have never once felt uncomfortable. Even driving 6 hours to trade in the old and pick up new, bench both ways and no more than would be expected soreness from sitting that long.

That all said, I wouldn't take an auto if you put a gun to my head with the 2.7.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Quote:
What does the Hilux have to do with the Tacoma??? I thought we were discussing the Tacoma, not the Hilux. Hilux isn't even sold in the U.S. I knew the Hilux had the A343, it's a higher torque rated transmission than the A340, and is probably necessary for the Hilux diesel models.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Guess we were both wrong...
After a little bit of research it appears this variation of A340 series was used in the 2JZ Twin turbo equipped cars. ie the Supras/Aristos
As usual of Toyota, it appears that this trans is more than beefy enough for the 2TR-FE.
Attached Thumbnails
Automatic transmission an 4 cyl.-20140313_093948-1-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #18
bwana49 is on a distinguished road
bwana49's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same complaint as guiterjamman with the 4 cyl auto. Seems like anytime I traveled up a grade it would downshift to the point the engine was screaming along at 3900 rpm. This was with an older 4Runner but I've never been happy with 4 cyl auto in a truck.

That's the reason my latest 4 cyl has the 5 speed.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
CAD6
Sbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSbh87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Scott
Sbh87's Tacoma Gallery
I always opt for a manual whenever possible. That's is becoming harder and harder these days to find cars or trucks still in manual so that one of the features that drew me to a tacoma.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #20
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbh87 View Post
I always opt for a manual whenever possible. That's is becoming harder and harder these days to find cars or trucks still in manual so that one of the features that drew me to a tacoma.
When I test-drove my first Taco, they had two nearly identical '06 2.7s that were part of a fleet purchase. Side be side auto and 5-speed. I drove them both.

Honestly I couldn't believe they were the same truck. The auto was *such* a dog, comparatively. Night and day difference.

I think some stats I came across recently have manual transmissions down to under 10% nationally. Sad, that.