Notices

it is bad if I put oil 10w 30 in my 2009 toyota Tacoma

Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
elfuerte is on a distinguished road
elfuerte's Tacoma Gallery
it is bad if I put oil 10w 30 in my 2009 toyota Tacoma

you recommend the royal purple
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
It will depend to a large extent on where you are located and how cold it gets where you are. The 0w-20 rating is designed to cover the entire spectrum of locations from north to south. In the north where it is quite cold I wouldn't do it. In the south where it never gets very cold you are probably OK.

I put 5W-20 in mine.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
No I don't think so, but it will make engine work harder cuz its a thicker oil resulting in lower MPG. royal purple is a great oil and just a fyi they make a filter now too. Just curious why do you want to run a thicker oil.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
elfuerte is on a distinguished road
elfuerte's Tacoma Gallery
I want to put an thicker oil because where I am is very hot , I say that an thicker oil help me very much
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I wouls still run 5W-20 or 0W-20. Either way the engine is going to be hot at operating temperature. If you leave it in for change interval it wont hurt anything
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I would say if your rocking it out in Florida, texas, oklahoma, new mexico, and arizona, area's you are pretty safe using the 10w30. I actuall alternate for the seasons.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
In my 2.7 I run 5w20 all year. Our summers in Northern Nevada get over 100 and in the winter it gets below freezing. I have no problems. 10w30 might be a little thick for an engine that requires 0w20. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you. JMO.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
Ambient temp only affects the starting viscosit of the oil. That engine runs a lot hotter than wherever you hail from. Just use the 5w20 like Toyota wants you to.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
You will get more wear at startup (because it takes a thicker oil longer to flow up to the valvetrain), harder starting in cold temps (which may or may not be an issue depending upon how cold it gets where you live) and lower fuel economy (thicker oil makes the engine have to work harder to pump the oil around, so its less efficient).
While you COULD use 10w-30, I really dont see why you would want to. Id suggest using 5w-20, as Toyota suggests.
Unless you are always driving in extreme heat and under heavy load, their is no reason why you need to be using a thicker oil.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Being as the VVT-i is opperated via oil pressure, use the recomended oil wieght.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Wrath of the runbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Being as the VVT-i is opperated via oil pressure, use the recomended oil wieght.
Good point. However, it wasnt all that long ago that Toyota recommended using 5w-30 in these engines, so Im not convinced that oil viscosity has all that much of an impact on VVT-i operation.
Look at how much the viscosity of dino oil and synthetic oil changes with temperature.
If the thickness of the oil were such a huge factor, it would effect how the VVT-i system works in different temperature extremes.
I do agree with you to a certain point (and that you should stick with the oil that Toyota recommends), Im just not convinced that it effects the operaton of the VVT-i system...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
Good point. However, it wasnt all that long ago that Toyota recommended using 5w-30 in these engines, so Im not convinced that oil viscosity has all that much of an impact on VVT-i operation.
Look at how much the viscosity of dino oil and synthetic oil changes with temperature.
If the thickness of the oil were such a huge factor, it would effect how the VVT-i system works in different temperature extremes.
I do agree with you to a certain point (and that you should stick with the oil that Toyota recommends), Im just not convinced that it effects the operaton of the VVT-i system...
5w-30 was the recomended oil for the NON VVT-i 2.7. Granted, it may not have adverse affects on the VVT-i system, but why take the chance?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
Wrath of the runbird

True and like I said, unless you are operating in extreme heat (120*+) or under heavy load all the time, there is really no reason to run a thicker oil.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you are running in over 120 degree heat you still don't need to go to a heavier oil. How hot do you think you're engine is running? Lot hotter than that. 20 weight oil is 20 at running temp. 30 is 30 at running temp. Engine is designed for 20.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #16
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Won't hurt it at all. I've run nothing but 10-30 in everything for years, and two of my vehicles have over 200,000 miles. That's in all climates and temps.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Won't hurt it at all. I've run nothing but 10-30 in everything for years, and two of my vehicles have over 200,000 miles. That's in all climates and temps.
You have an 96. He has an 09. On the second gens, the VVT-i is opperated via oil pressure. Everything I have read dictats that the 5w-20 or 0w-20 is required for the system to run as designed. On your 96, yes 10w-30 will be no issue.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Back when I was an officer at the local PD the city shop ran 10W-30 on evrything with a gasoline engine and even though the 4.6 crown vics call for 5w20 we never had any oiling problems that I know of. That being said I run 5W20 in my Tacom because that is what it says to use on the oil cap.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
bryanc is on a distinguished road
bryanc's Tacoma Gallery
10w30 oil ?

wawireguy has it right and clear as far as I'm concerned. You also avoid warranty issues should problems arise. There was an excellent posting here at Tacoma world on oils in the past that should also be consulted if your not sure. bryanc
Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Alvaro Guerrero is on a distinguished road
Alvaro Guerrero's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys