Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

flex-a lite electric fan kit

Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
racerdave is on a distinguished road
Army: Mr.
racerdave's Tacoma Gallery
flex-a lite electric fan kit

Hello, I am new to the Tacoma World. I was wondering if anyone has used the flex-a-lite electric fan kit:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-...ta-tacoma.html
on a 4 cyl truck and had good success and good mileage an power improvements ? and how was the install overall?

Thank you
Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
jjlmn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
jjlmn's Tacoma Gallery
These is a couple of threads on engine noise from the mechanical cooling fan. I think it's nuts that Toyota put a this in a 2014 vehicle. All about $ I would think , maybe its a reliability thing in extreme environments. Who knows , but I would love to get rid of that roar at start up.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
A group buy would be
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave View Post
Hello, I am new to the Tacoma World. I was wondering if anyone has used the flex-a-lite electric fan kit:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-...ta-tacoma.html
on a 4 cyl truck and had good success and good mileage an power improvements ? and how was the install overall?

Thank you
Hey Dave,

I'm also intrigued by that fan kit. My 2012 Toyota Yaris has electric cooling and it works great. I don't think anyone here has actually tried one on their 2.7, or even a 4.0 for that matter. But maybe someone has and can let us know how it works.

Greg
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
racerdave is on a distinguished road
Army: Mr.
racerdave's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking the other day I have an old flex a lite 2800cfm kit in my garage. I might pull in off the shelf and see what it looks like and if I can adapt it to fit. I know its a little smaller than the kit sold specifically for the truck, But as long as I can get 80% coverage I think I would be OK. I would need to build a bracket for the overfow tank too. Save myself some cash over buying the new kit. I don't care for the roar, and I know it would help out on economy and free up power. I'm OK with the power now, but I occasionally tow about 1200lbs with it and I think that is were it would really be nice.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlmn View Post
These is a couple of threads on engine noise from the mechanical cooling fan. I think it's nuts that Toyota put a this in a 2014 vehicle. All about $ I would think , maybe its a reliability thing in extreme environments. Who knows , but I would love to get rid of that roar at start up.
It's still common in the industry to use clutch fans for longitudinally-mounted engines. There is a temperature-controlled fan clutch, so parasitic losses are low. In addition to modern pickups, here's an example of a modern Audi with clutch fan:

Modern BMW engine with clutch fan:

The only real drawback to the clutch fan is less optimal A/C performance at idle. The Audi pictured has a separate condenser fan for this reason.