Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

HELP truck won't shift into any gear

Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
n.gonzael is on a distinguished road
n.gonzael's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation HELP truck won't shift into any gear

I have a 2006 single cab 2.7l 5 speed Tacoma 104000 miles. I went to start my truck yesterday morning, it started in neutral fine, but when I went to shift into gear it won't shift at all. Its like the clutch isn't engaging, there is no grinding no noise at all. When I shut the truck off and depress the clutch the transmission shifts into all gears fine. I did some searching and found that it could be the clutch slave cylinder. I bled it thinking there might be some air in the line, its no different. I see no visible leaking out of the cylinder the reservoir was full. Any help would be appreciated.

Nik
Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a failure of the clutch master cylinder. When the pedal is pushed the brake fluid just flows around the seal and no hydraulic pressure is generated.

One test you can do is to have one person push on the clutch pedal while another gets underneath and watches to see if the slave moves the clutch fork arm.

You're lucky in that the whole clutch actuating system isn't complicated, and the hydraulic components can easily be replaced without any invasive "surgery".

Oh, and also check the linkage between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder to see if it's connected. Less common, but more serious would be a broken clutch arm, or failure of the clutch pressure plate itself. It's most likely the cheap stuff.

Greg
Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
n.gonzael is on a distinguished road
n.gonzael's Tacoma Gallery
So the clutch pedal linkage looks ok nothing broken or missing. When the pedal is depressed the slave cylinder does push on the clutch arm.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Try moving the truck a couple feet by pushing it and jam it into gear
Old 05-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.gonzael View Post
So the clutch pedal linkage looks ok nothing broken or missing. When the pedal is depressed the slave cylinder does push on the clutch arm.
Does it move it enough to matter, or just a little bit? It might be moving the arm, but still not enough to disengage the clutch (likely).

If it moves the arm considerably, that rules out the hydraulic system because the pressure plate itself is not disengaging. Unbolt the slave cylinder and see whether or not the clutch arm moves freely back and forth. If it does, the arm might be bent.

Greg